Imagine a salary cap reduction

The one clinker in the NFL veil of secrecy surrounding opening their books is the Packers. With all the financial details of our operation being common knowledge through public disclosure, pretty much anyone can size up the scope of other operations in the league.

It may not be even close to 100% accurate doing so, but it's a bellwether of what they might find behind the facades of other teams. It's just a matter of extrapolation of potential from their off field enterprises, which shouldn't deal at all with salary cap issues, in my opinion. The scope of the players contracts should be based on that which deals directly with the game, including a split of team and name usage rights for games, etc, as agreed upon between the league and players association.

Anyhow, that's what I see. I didn't mention what I believe should be done for the veterans. There should be fully funded lifetime insurance, and it should be considered as deductible from their contracts when signed. It should be a 50/50 split, and include all players from the past as well. To me, this is a no-brainer.
To me I think players today can afford their own medical. They are knowing the risk of playing and take that risk to get paid well. Just like any job after you retire only insurance you get is funded by yourself or if you get medicare.

To me I think players today can afford their own medical. They are knowing the risk of playing and take that risk to get paid well. Just like any job after you retire only insurance you get is funded by yourself or if you get medicare.
The average career is what 3-4 years? There at the very minimum be some post career insurance based on service time. The league and yes the NFLPA over the years has done a horrible job of any post career transition

I wonder how teams do their cost accounting when it comes to applying a line item to something that they charge against that $295M?
Creative accounting can be a beautiful thing! :geek:
On the GB financial is listed as income. Who knows.

I've talked to a lot of guys who played in the NFL. Not too many of them end up being able to walk by the time they reach social security age. For many of them, being uninsured is a way of life, because companies fear the risks of multiple surgeries.

Most people don't understand that need when they're young. When they get older, a war chest of $200,000 can go out the window in a heartbeat for one trip to the hospital. In fact, in my major surgery, the hospital bill was over $400,000, and Doctors racked up over $100,000. Without great insurance, I would have been belly up.

The players need to plan for all their futures.

Back