If someone told you before the draft that we'd do what we did...

In order for the team to progress this year, it, by definition, must be in the SB. Even for those who settle for the playoffs every year, it's going to have to at least make a good showing. I think this draft is perfect for setting up a real evaluation of TT and staff - if it doesn't work, the fans were right; if it does, all hail King Ted.

Some notable 7th rounders in Green Bay:

Jeff Janis
Sam Barrington
Ryan Taylor
CJ Wilson
Brad Jones
Matt Flynn
------------
Scott Wells
Mark Tauscher
Donald Driver

Our org seems to be about as good hitting on their 7th's as they are their 1st's.

I would've preferred another swing at a late round guy as opposed to a trade up for Hundley. If I'm Aaron Rodgers, I'm mystified not that they grabbed a developmental QB, but they traded up 20 spots to do it. Only 7 QB's got drafted... I would've preferred Connor Halliday in the 7th to trading up for Hundley in the 5th.

There were 10 players drafted from picks #247-#256. We'll never know which of those 10 or the UFDA's Ted would have taken. Maybe he would have selected one of those UFDA's that we signed making it totally moot. But the "cost" to move up those 20 picks in the 5th round was very low. You would think it would have cost us our 6th-round pick, not the 7th.

In order for the team to progress this year, it, by definition, must be in the SB. Even for those who settle for the playoffs every year, it's going to have to at least make a good showing. I think this draft is perfect for setting up a real evaluation of TT and staff - if it doesn't work, the fans were right; if it does, all hail King Ted.

That sort of depends. We should have been in the Super Bowl this year if not for a combination of strange plays and poor play-calling. I don't blame TT for that loss. Likewise, I wouldn't blame the Seahawks' GM for not winning the Super Bowl when they made a poor choice of plays at the end of that game.

I took a quick look at the picks, and of those 10 picks from our 7th rounder until the end of the draft there was 1 QB and 5 DB - I doubt that we would have taken any of them after our first two picks.

We should just trade our 1st pick for proven players as opposed to using it as much as we hit on it, especially on D.

No way to ever know if the next Donald Driver was drafted there, or not. That UDFA that was to be because we didn't draft in the 7th that was desired by the Packers may have signed elsewhere after the draft.

Let's take Donald Driver as the example...suppose he was not drafted by us because Wolf wanted to trade up for a project QB and nobody else drafted him but he became a UDFA. Getting a guy to come to Green Bay is tough enough so the odds he would've signed with us would've been low. So, in not drafting Donald in the 7th we open ourselves to competition from the other 31 teams and that's not mentioning that some other team may have drafted him after we didn't because we weren't there.

I have only one comment regarding Hundley. A lot of people talk about trading up to get him. We did not trade up to get him. TT reported that the Patriots called and asked to make the trade. Hundley was there so they took him.

To me that's different then targeting someone and making attempts to trade to get him. JMO

We should just trade our 1st pick for proven players as opposed to using it as much as we hit on it, especially on D.

No way to ever know if the next Donald Driver was drafted there, or not. That UDFA that was to be because we didn't draft in the 7th that was desired by the Packers may have signed elsewhere after the draft.

Let's take Donald Driver as the example...suppose he was not drafted by us because Wolf wanted to trade up for a project QB and nobody else drafted him but he became a UDFA. Getting a guy to come to Green Bay is tough enough so the odds he would've signed with us would've been low. So, in not drafting Donald in the 7th we open ourselves to competition from the other 31 teams and that's not mentioning that some other team may have drafted him after we didn't because we weren't there.

Of course, we could also consider some of the other 7th round picks that we've had: Kevin Dorsey (taken before Barrington), Andrew Datko, B.J. Coleman, Lawrence Guy, Brett Swain, DeShawn Wynn, Dave Tollefson, Kurt Campbell... did any of them make a significant contribution to the team?

Maybe Hundley will be a waste of 2 draft picks, but maybe we can develop him and trade him for a higher value pick or player. Or maybe he gives us an upgraded backup QB. If either of those happens, then we should be happy with this trade. It is FAR to early to judge this draft pick and whether giving up a 7th round pick was worth it. And honestly, unless TT ever tells us who he would have taken, we'll never know if we missed out on Donald Driver or Andrew Datko.

I have only one comment regarding Hundley. A lot of people talk about trading up to get him. We did not trade up to get him. TT reported that the Patriots called and asked to make the trade. Hundley was there so they took him.

To me that's different then targeting someone and making attempts to trade to get him. JMO

Forgive me, but this sounds like the reasoning folks use on other boards to justify their position. One can't trade up without someone else trading down. Present the facts (we traded spots in the 5th round and, in addition, gave the other team our 7th round pick) to any sports fan without a knowledge of this particular move, and I will bet the farm that, when asked, they'll reply that the Pack traded up. The only other explanation is that we didn't trade up TO GET HIM, in which case we did trade up for no particular reason. Otherwise, you're left with "we'll give up something in order to move up in the draft whenever someone calls and offers us the chance". I just can't wrap my head around this one.

So we basically traded up and agreed to a trade with no player in mind to pick ? Makes zero sense to me. Sorry

So we basically traded up and agreed to a trade with no player in mind to pick ? Makes zero sense to me. Sorry

It sounds to me like we didn't trade up to get a player, but when the opportunity to move up for a very low cost presented itself, we made the trade and Hundley was at the top of the board at that time. TT probably figured that Hundley wouldn't last 20 more picks so his decision was whether Hundley was valuable enough to give up pick #247 knowing that we would still have 3 6th-round picks.
But it doesn't sound like he was initiating the trade.

Back