How the hell does Capers still have a job?

That stretch run fooled the people inside 1265. There was a lot of fan enthusiasm to boot so they assume all is well in Packerland. They will fool themselves out of making any substantive changes and we'll do about the same next year but probably won't play as well down the stretch offensively and won't even make the NFCCG. Maybe then something will change, but I wouldn't put any real money on it.

MM just likes to feel superior in practice as his offense runs up and down thevery field on that defense. I'm not surprised by Capers being back but I am disappointed. It's more of the status quo. I'm starting get to get used to it and that but is disappointing in and of itself
I think you've got it! MMs offense plays with more confidence because they feel unstoppable in practice!!
Seriously though, I think others have mentioned this, but MM doesn't game plan for the other defense's weaknesses so maybe he can't scout that aspect, therefore he doesn't see it from that point of view (how weak we are). Injuries be damned.....our defense is a bunch of pussies. I know that isn't politically correct, but watch the games. We hit NO ONE. Bryce is the only guy I've noticed who really hit anyone in the middle of the field. Hyde, Dix, Ryan and Burnett NEVER light anyone up. No one in the league is afraid to play the Packers because you're not going to get hit. It's pathetic and that's why Capers should be gone. We need at least a couple of guys with the 'Chuck Cecil' attitude and love of violence (on the field).

I agree that Capers scheme has generally gone stale, but a coordinator can only elevate his players so much. Has Capers gotten the best out of every defensive player since 2011? No, but I think if you're being sincere about this and not just having cheap laughs (which is fine, mind you - I enjoy cheap laughs) you have to look at the D roster - who is making decisions on bringing players in? Who is making decisions on who to keep? Who is making decisions on playing time? Who is holding people and players accountable? To me Capers scheme and position coaches are just the icing on the turd cake.

This is not to make excuses for Capers role in the failure of the D but you need to look harder at what his exact role is in the Packers hierarchy.

way back when the packers first hired capers, i made the observation that his track record showed a disturbing pattern of achieving great results in the first year or two, and then dropping off dramatically. people ridiculed me for it. history has repeated it self, and we have management that is too stubborn to make a change.

way back when the packers first hired capers, i made the observation that his track record showed a disturbing pattern of achieving great results in the first year or two, and then dropping off dramatically. people ridiculed me for it. history has repeated it self, and we have management that is too stubborn to make a change.
RB- you are correct sir! History shows that pattern over and over.
Capers first two years are good to great- then it turns into a dumpster fire.

There's nothing that will convince me that Capers is capable of directing a defense in the NFL any longer. He just doesn't have the ability to adjust his defense to meet the skill level of his players. He's constantly trying to stick guys into roles they can't fulfill. Then, when there's team failure.

A good DC knows that he has to adjust his defense to fit the personnel he has available. You don't put a 4.8 guy on a 4.3 guy on a regular basis, and expect him to win the match up. It just isn't happening. You don't double team the deep route and leave the middle wide open. Teams see the coverage, and send guys on streaks down the sideline, knowing they can throw to the middle, and nobody's home. Then, when they see the Packers crowding the middle, they throw deep and outside.

McCarthy is loyal to a fault. I've said that before. Nothing has changed. He's going to end up letting Capers pull him, and Thompson down before he's through.

A good DC knows that he has to adjust his defense to fit the personnel he has available. You don't put a 4.8 guy on a 4.3 guy on a regular basis, and expect him to win the match up. It just isn't happening. You don't double team the deep route and leave the middle wide open. Teams see the coverage, and send guys on streaks down the sideline, knowing they can throw to the middle, and nobody's home. Then, when they see the Packers crowding the middle, they throw deep and outside.

Not disagreeing with you TW but put yourself in Capers shoes with the tools he has and tell me how you respond. You have one 4.8 guy, one 4.6 guy and one 4.5 guy. The latter two are injured in multiple ways that effect their quickness. You try to protect them with S help but your front 7 players don't win up front and teams run on you or find the underneath stuff because your ILB are either 4.8 or don't have cover instincts. Drop a S to help there and the guys deep get exposed. Use those S as CBs because the other guys aren't getting it done but now you're putting more UDFAs on the field because that's what the GM and HC gave you. At some point don't guys on the field have to win?

This team had one formula to win, and that was for the O to go up multiple scores and play D to prevent big plays. It's a small miracle they avaeraged 17 pts against down the stretch through smoke and mirrors.

So yes Capers scheme is known inside and out throughout the league, he's not winning creativity awards and there are guys on the D staff that rub me the wrong way. Discipline to the scheme is lacking and that's one of a coaches first responsibilities.

But fire Capers and whoever else comes in has to still deal with the tweeners, the constant inexperience, the average athletes, teaching guys to tackle on big puffy donuts and how many other things that play a part in making this D middling.

Not disagreeing with you TW but put yourself in Capers shoes with the tools he has and tell me how you respond. You have one 4.8 guy, one 4.6 guy and one 4.5 guy. The latter two are injured in multiple ways that effect their quickness. You try to protect them with S help but your front 7 players don't win up front and teams run on you or find the underneath stuff because your ILB are either 4.8 or don't have cover instincts. Drop a S to help there and the guys deep get exposed. Use those S as CBs because the other guys aren't getting it done but now you're putting more UDFAs on the field because that's what the GM and HC gave you. At some point don't guys on the field have to win?

You're absolutely right. It does go back to Thompson and McCarthy. They, ultimately, are responsible for the personnel Capers has, to utilize. But, a good coach knows how to modify the existing defense to reduce the vulnerability. Capers has failed to do that.

Over the years, I've watched DCs get players who aren't that good, yet, they modify their defensive coverage, and disguise them, so the offense can't openly exploit them repeatedly. In Capers case, that's not happening.

Capers is overrated to be honest. He gets credit for being a solid coach but I've honestly never seen his schemes work that effectively.

Don't get me wrong. It's not an excuse for how poorly McCarthy & Thompson have stocked the defense. They're accountable too.

Yeah I hear you. If I have to summarize my criticism of Doms system it's that it seems to over rely on talent, experience and playmakers over schemeing guys to success. In that light it makes perfect sense as to why MM won't fire him, because it's a mirror of MMs offensive scheme and philosophy.

It's because the frickin' defensive scheme is too complex and can't handle injuries, especially to key positions! The defense is also missing a field general like the offense has with Rodgers. Give me a DC who's good at developing leaders and who runs up and down the sidelines firing the defense up over a complex defensive scheme any day.

I'm holding out hope that a major defense change occurs. I simply can't believe status quo is "good enough".

Back