How the hell does Capers still have a job?

I agree that Capers scheme has generally gone stale, but a coordinator can only elevate his players so much. Has Capers gotten the best out of every defensive player since 2011? No, but I think if you're being sincere about this and not just having cheap laughs (which is fine, mind you - I enjoy cheap laughs) you have to look at the D roster - who is making decisions on bringing players in? Who is making decisions on who to keep? Who is making decisions on playing time? Who is holding people and players accountable? To me Capers scheme and position coaches are just the icing on the turd cake.

This is not to make excuses for Capers role in the failure of the D but you need to look harder at what his exact role is in the Packers hierarchy.

If they are not going to let Capers go they should at least look at the defensive assistant coaches. Granted what they had to work with was not great, but the players we did have did not look ready to play.

If they are not going to let Capers go they should at least look at the defensive assistant coaches. Granted what they had to work with was not great, but the players we did have did not look ready to play.

Not only is capers the longest tenured d coordinator in the league, but since we hired him all of his original assistants are still there except for Greene. Not a single firing after all the miscommunication we've seen, the poor tackling and effort and just overall lackluster play. Let that sink in

way back when the packers first hired capers, i made the observation that his track record showed a disturbing pattern of achieving great results in the first year or two, and then dropping off dramatically. people ridiculed me for it. history has repeated it self, and we have management that is too stubborn to make a change.
You're were right on and you always provided great evidence of it with the stats. It's amazing he still has a job in GB but MM is loyal.

It's because the frickin' defensive scheme is too complex and can't handle injuries, especially to key positions! The defense is also missing a field general like the offense has with Rodgers. Give me a DC who's good at developing leaders and who runs up and down the sidelines firing the defense up over a complex defensive scheme any day.

I'm holding out hope that a major defense change occurs. I simply can't believe status quo is "good enough".
I'm not sure I buy into the "too complex" theory. He's had success elsewhere but that success follows a certain trajectory and then falls off with that same certain result. Too complex means that his current players can't handle it which then call into question their football smarts. Maybe Dom just hasn't been able to adapt to what the current offenses are throwing at his defense? Maybe he thinks his way is the only way. Maybe, just maybe, opposing offenses have figured out his defenses. I've seen stats where his GB defenses have been torched during the post season. Is that because of injuries? Every year it just seems like one excuse after another as to why his defenses, after a certain point, fail to deliver.

I know our defensive talent has been pretty poor in the past and I know we have had our fair share of injuries, but with saying that, Capers should have moved more players around to manage that. I know it is easier said then done but watching teams run up and down the field the last few years is unbelievable. Those 20 yard catches with no one covering them is just plain dumb to watch.

With that being said, I would like Capers to step down and we see some new life in the Defensive Coordinator spot.

I'm pretty indifferent on Capers personally. I don't think he is the reason/biggest problem with our defense and I think we could end up worse with someone else but I also think we could end up better with someone else.
The problem is talent and injuries. The FA class is uninspiring unless someone surprising hits the market and if so we won't be the ones to dish out the cash. So our defense improving next year is on the backs of Randall/Rollins improving, Clark improving, no one regressing and maybe some draft picks.

I'm a big fan of McCarthy because he always has his guys ready to play and draws up good game plans most of the time. Sure he **** the bed late in close games at times but lots of coaches do, I think we could do a lot worse than McCarthy. I don't feel the same about Capers but again, I don't think he is the main reason our defense struggles.

For all of Ted's faults on defense he still puts together a well above average roster year in and year out, something only a couple of other teams can match in his tenure as GM, mainly New England.

I think it may be time to let Capers go. Not for lack of performance, but simply to put the man out of his misery. Every year he becomes the scapegoat for an underachieving team, due to an under-talented defense. He runs a defense that is suited for cerebral veterans who need to able to read offenses, and have an ability to adjust on the fly, yet he is consistently forced to use young, inexperienced players who either are not ready, or have not had time to adjust to the speed of the NFL. In short, we need to have a few reliable, experienced backups for when the injuries inevitably occur.

Obviously, for as long as TT is around, you know that he's not gonna give Capers the type of players he needs. So why not look into our DB coaches, or LB coaches for that matter. I mean, if you've watched even one game, it's easy to see how much our DB's coverage and ball playing/defending skills are lacking. It seems that on at least 80% of passes, the DB has no idea where the ball even is, so he's certainly not in position to turn around and make a play on the ball. We've seen how far "throw your hands in the air and hope the WR drops it" has taken us (admittedly, quite farther that I ever expected). And that's just when we're in man coverage. Our zone D is even more baffling. Either the fundamentals are severely under coached or under emphasized, or our player are just plain garbage. Who knows, maybe it's all of the above. Maybe there is a D coordinator out there who can play to our DB's strengths, I'm just not so sure they have any strengths.

It also doesn't help that despite having Matthews, Peppers, and Perry, we cannot pressure the QB more than one time a game. And we never seem to be able to get home on a blitz. Sure, you could say that it's because of Caper's blitz schemes, but I've seen one too many free blitzers that just completely whiffed on open lanes to the QB to believe that.

I know our defensive talent has been pretty poor in the past and I know we have had our fair share of injuries, but with saying that, Capers should have moved more players around to manage that. I know it is easier said then done but watching teams run up and down the field the last few years is unbelievable. Those 20 yard catches with no one covering them is just plain dumb to watch.

With that being said, I would like Capers to step down and we see some new life in the Defensive Coordinator spot.

No matter who's playing on defense over the years I've seen guys wide open on an almost game to game basis. This was the case even when we had Woodson and Collins in the secondary. There is so much miscommunication it's sickening. The only constant throughout all these years is Capers. Remember for years we couldn't cover TEs? Always wide open in the middle of the field? Hell, look at last Sunday. We rush 2 D-lineman, and yet there is a guy wide open. Seriously, how does that happen?

Packfan35, awesome post. Please come back and post more often. This is the type of commentary that elevates the rest of us fans.

Back