Future QB

Good topic! Would like to comment on a couple of comments made.

1- Patriots aren't where they're at because Brady takes less money. It's because they have the best coach in the NFL for the last 10 years. Tired of people trying to paint ARod as greedy. In the NFL the players should get their money when they can. Plus, Brady gets perks from Kraft that just aren't available in scope with anything you can get in Green Bay.
2- ARod isn't 'lucky as shit'. He has worked hard to develop his style of play. Whether that style can hold up as he gets older is the question. Brady gets by with a short passing game with the occasional shot down field. MM/ARod are always looking for the shot down field IMO. He puts himself in vulnerable positions and the law of averages says he is going to get plastered.

I think that instead of looking at the YEAR we should look for a QB, we should look at the opportunity of deep draft classes. Last year was a real bad year to be looking for a QB. Avoid that situation!! This year, right now, offers a number of quality QBs available. Pro style kids with great potential. I kind of like 5 or 6 of them. We might just have the opportunity to grab a possible franchise QB with a draft pick from 25-32. You can't miss that opportunity IMO. We've been in an unbelievable stretch of great QB play, coming up on 25 years now. THIS IS NOT THE NORM. TT did an unpopular thing when he 'wasted' that first round pick on ARod. It just might be time to 'waste' another first round pick. Couldn't hurt to give ARod another chip on his shoulder by bringing in future competition.

It's early, I like Allen a lot. Here's some other kids I think are loaded with potential. They all have their short comings, but we are talking of the 3 year learning curve.

Sam Darnold | USC
Josh Rosen | UCLA
Josh Allen | Wyoming
Mason Rudolph | Oklahoma State
Jarrett Stidham | Auburn
Lamar Jackson | Louisville
Nick Fitzgerald | Mississippi State

Your post is no different then the hundreds of Farve apologists we saw 10 plus years ago... go ahead live and die with #12 but when it's time and the QB play is podo( don't say you were not warned ahead of time. That goes for the lot of you... no whining down the road.

haha warned?? Of course we live and die by #12. Doesn't every team with a good qb live and die by him? You have your guy and your ride him till the wheels fall off. the sky is not falling. Rodgers is NOT falling off a cliff in the next few years. We have a good backup now who is a starter somewhere in this league in the future. Do you want to carry 3 qbs now. that would be silly. You cant stash a high pick on the practice squad. Nobody that is in your camp of drafting a qb in the 1st acknowledged the points of drafting this unicorn qb high and how if Rodgers plays another 4 or 5 years he is never seeing the field. Im sure there would be tons of whining if we passed up on a solid pass rusher or other position for a guy that would hold a clip board and carry ARs water bottle.

Sure I would love to have that next HOFer waiting in the wings when Rodgers hangs it up but that time is not now, there is no guarantee that these high pick qbs are going to be great anyway.

He's reckless and tries to make plays with his feet.. at 35 that's a good way to meet a 25 year old 250 OLB and BOOM ! End of playing career. I'll grant you he's lucky as shit but all it's going to take is one unlucky play. As for back up's if we get a guy that's 3-4 years out now that makes Rodgers 37 or 38. At that point just like Favre you cut bait and move to the younger guy, nature of the beast. Not sure why it's even kind of a big deal with anyone here.

Rodgers is not 35. he turns 34 next Dec. that's a big difference.

I would not say hes reckless. yes he moves a lot in the pocket and uses good footwork to elude danger but he doesn't take bad hits. He slides a lot instead of meeting contact. does he take risks, sure. But he makes plenty of plays out of those risks. Im fine with him moving around in the pocket. You cant play football scared and he doesn't. You can also ask the coaches and you don't plan your future on your qb getting hurt.

He will be older in 4 or 5 years. I agree with everyone here that we do need to look out for the future. Every good org does. but we will continue to be a playoff team so we will be drafting late in most drafts. These superstar qbs that ppl are pounding the table for prob aren't going to be around when we pick and I would be a waste to reach for one. Yea if a cant miss guy is there take him but the odds of that aren't good.

Rodgers is not 35. he turns 34 next Dec.
He will be older in 4 or 5 years. I agree with everyone here that we do need to look out for the future. Every good org does. but we will continue to be a playoff team so we will be drafting late in most drafts. These superstar qbs that ppl are pounding the table for prob aren't going to be around when we pick and I would be a waste to reach for one. Yea if a cant miss guy is there take him but the odds of that aren't good.

Pounding the table for? C'mon, we are allowed to express our opinion without being shoved into someone's 'camp'. The reason I, personally, believe we should seriously look at a QB THIS year is because we will be drafting late again! If you wait until we have to have a QB then we are drafting in desperation and that should be avoided. This next year is a deep, quality filled draft for the QB position. None of them are superstars, but a good handful show great promise. Just like any other position in the draft. There are NO superstars available at any position, there are only potential players. The washout rate is in effect for any position. TT apparently already dangled Hundley as trade bait so there is reason to think that they are entertaining that option of acquiring a young talent to develop. This next year would be a nice opportunity.

Pounding the table for? C'mon, we are allowed to express our opinion without being shoved into someone's 'camp'. The reason I, personally, believe we should seriously look at a QB THIS year is because we will be drafting late again! If you wait until we have to have a QB then we are drafting in desperation and that should be avoided. This next year is a deep, quality filled draft for the QB position. None of them are superstars, but a good handful show great promise. Just like any other position in the draft. There are NO superstars available at any position, there are only potential players. The washout rate is in effect for any position. TT apparently already dangled Hundley as trade bait so there is reason to think that they are entertaining that option of acquiring a young talent to develop. This next year would be a nice opportunity.

who do you think of the qbs in 18 is going to be around when we pick? Id be willing to bet the 1st three you liked earlier are gone and could all be in the top 10.

pounding the table for might be over the top but nobody has explained to me why they think AR is going to hit the wall. Like I said before he doesn't play a position that speed is needed. Arm strength isn't going anywhere unless an injury and His football IQ will be good until hes an old man. Nelson will be hitting a wall way before Rodgers will bc of position and the skills needed to be effective.

I agree with you that we may have been dangling Hundley and if someone bit or bites this next season, we will need to look for a backup. To each his own but im not ready to take a qb in the 1st next year. in 19, maybe but not next year. If this class is so deep 1 might slip out of the 1st. Hundley was a 1st rounder if he came out his jr season. He stayed and slipped way down. We have many other needs and it has shown that even with Godgers if your d isn't up to par and have a good supporting cast your qb play might not be enough. Find the next blue or red chip starter and get the future qb down the road.

He's reckless and tries to make plays with his feet.

I would not say hes reckless. yes he moves a lot in the pocket and uses good footwork to elude danger but he doesn't take bad hits.

although this has little to do with the discussion at hand, i agree with backthepack4ever. rodgers is anything but reckless. he is the definition of un-reckless (if there were such a word). a reckless quarterback would not be the all-time nfl leader with the lowest interception percentage. there's never been a qb who was less reckless.

rodgers is at his best when he extends plays with his feet. but it's almost always done under control.

who do you think of the qbs in 18 is going to be around when we pick? Id be willing to bet the 1st three you liked earlier are gone and could all be in the top 10.

pounding the table for might be over the top but nobody has explained to me why they think AR is going to hit the wall. Like I said before he doesn't play a position that speed is needed. Arm strength isn't going anywhere unless an injury and His football IQ will be good until hes an old man. Nelson will be hitting a wall way before Rodgers will bc of position and the skills needed to be effective.

I agree with you that we may have been dangling Hundley and if someone bit or bites this next season, we will need to look for a backup. To each his own but im not ready to take a qb in the 1st next year. in 19, maybe but not next year. If this class is so deep 1 might slip out of the 1st. Hundley was a 1st rounder if he came out his jr season. He stayed and slipped way down. We have many other needs and it has shown that even with Godgers if your d isn't up to par and have a good supporting cast your qb play might not be enough. Find the next blue or red chip starter and get the future qb down the road.
I didn't list them according to my preference and I agree that the first three might be top ten. But you asked so the three I think might have a realistic shot at dropping to our range are:
Jarrett Stidham | Auburn
Lamar Jackson | Louisville
Nick Fitzgerald | Mississippi State
Of these three I think Jackson has the most upside, especially with the three year sit and watch in effect. Try this on.....after three years, if he grows under MM, we might be saying goodbye to ARod for a couple of #1s and moving on. Remind you of another situation we had with a HOF QB?
After reading about Jackson and his drive to be an NFL QB and not just a product of the system I came away very impressed. So he is my favorite, but Stidham and Fitzgerald both possess a great skill set that looks to translate to the NFL. IMO.
You don't need the Best defense in the NFL if you have the best QB. If we can climb into the top HALF of the NFL defensively we will be serious contenders. You might be surprised how well our defense performs this year or I might be surprised how bad they are, We just don't know.

I like Jackson also and will admit I haven't paid a ton of attention to qbs in the draft bc of who we do have. Yea I would take a few 1st round picks when Rodgers is 38 and at the end of a contract. Esp if we have the next guy lined up.

We already are serious contenders. I agree you don't need a top D to win it all but I sure want some pro bowlers over there at CB or Pass rusher. We are paper thin at OLBer. IMO Clay is a shell of his former self and I would like to find his replacement sooner rather then later. (off topic sorry ) my point being IF there is a potential difference maker sitting there or a guy that might sit out his whole 1st contract behind Rodgers, I want the difference maker.

Good topic. Many different views that I don't think anyone is budging on, which is ok haha

I don't see the Packers drafting anyone until 2021 as a replacement for Rodgers, when he hangs it up. That would make him 38, and the replacement could get 2 or 3 years of bench time to learn behind him. I think it will go better than it did with Rodgers replacing Favre.

Back