From the Blog ....To Favre Or Not Favre ? This Is The Question ? !

I just couldn't muster the level of hate for Favre which many Packer fans did, even when he was at his peak of douchebag towards the Packers organization.

Sure I was angry with him for awhile, but maybe it's because I'm old enough to have lived through the dark days where complete scrubs like Randy Wright and David Whitehurst were under center for the Packers. I actually sat through and watched the MNF game in Chicago where the Bears won something like 62-0.

So even when Brett was being a petulant ****, in my mind it was always there what he did to put the Packers back on the NFL map. It wasn't just the two Super Bowl appearances. It was just as much the role Favre played in the Packers going from a team many players dreaded playing for to a team quality players were taking discounts to stay with. It was the Packers rarely ever being in prime time scheduled games to a team constantly on MNF and/or regularly getting those 3PM prime games. Without Brett, who knows if the stadium initiative would have ever passed.

Favre no question was an ego maniac that i understand why he drew the hate of so many Packer fans, but I do think that for many fans who were old enough to live through those years of the team being bad and mostly irrelevant, it was harder to hate Brett as much as younger fans who never experienced those years of futility. tc(

There were periods where people had outright hate for Favre- especially his stint with Vikings. You also had a lot of Packer fans that weren't from WI who became fans of the team because of Favre and followed his move to the Jets and Vikes. I never hated him- did get sick of the off-season soap opera - I may not be back, I want back. Pretty hard to plan a Draft when you don't know your MVP QB is going to be there. Worked out great in the end. It was a lot of fun watching him play.

I don't think there's any question. All things considered he's the greatest player in franchise history, an integral part of the rebirth and identity of the team who helped shepherd it into the modern era. He's not just a generational player, he's really one of a kind - every year there's talk about 'the next Brett Favre' but there never will be one, his style and story were that unique.

I was at the 2009 game against the Vikes when he came back and kicked GB's butt all over the field and Jared Allen destroyed Darren Colledge (playing LT) to ruin Rodgers' day. I boo'd him as loudly as possible because that's part of the game he was playing. He played the hero in GB, then he played the villain in MN. But there are no more games now, just time to look back on the outstanding player that he was and what he meant to the franchise in his time and place.

Was Brett sometimes a douche? Sure as hell – but he was our douche! I am so grateful he was a Packer. He took fun and excitement and amazement to a higher level. In less poetic terms – Rodgers is cold steel – the keen intellect. Farve is fiery molten – pure emotion. And its his swirling aura that generates both the dizzying miracles on the field and the drama queen that comes with the territory. It was a wild ride that I am now glad I got to be a part of.

Just watched another NFL Films Top 10. This one was Greatest Meltdowns of all Time. Appropriately, coming in at #4 was just Brett Favre.

Back