From the Blog ....To Favre Or Not Favre ? This Is The Question ? !

I loved Brett in the 90's. Loved everything he did for the club. They the early 2000's started. Holmgren had long left and had been replaced by Ray Rhodes who only lasted a year then came Mike Sherman who Favre quickly found out could get him to do whatever he wanted. This along with Favre's father's death let Favre's ego run unchecked and allowed it to become out of control. Then he started his I may or may not retire BS around 2003. Every year he wanted his butt to be kissed to come back and be allowed to miss camp to boot. When we drafted Rodgers I was so happy because I saw Rodgers as the heir to replace him though many were upset because at the time Brett could do no wrong. When Favre did decide to retire I was watching the press conference like most thinking thanks for all you did Brett for the team. Then a few months later Favre starts his crap of I may want to come back to I want to come back. Then the fans buy into his crap and the bring back Brett crap starts. I was in the minority saying screw it he walked out move on with Rodgers. Thankfully TT stayed the course and said no Brett your done. Brett got traded to the Jets I am thinking ok both sides parted and we can all move on. Then Brett does his game to get to MN and everyone knows it was just to get back at the Packers and Ted. I became so pissed at Brett and IMO at the time he spit on his legacy and fans of the Packers. But in 2010 we beat up Brett pretty bad twice and won the Super Bowl. Then Brett retired and actually admitted he did things wrong and would do them different if he could. As time has moved on I have also forgiven Brett. Both sides made mistakes. Brett is a Packer legend he helped bring the glory back to this team. I will be at the Thanksgiving day game and when Brett comes out of the tunnel to have his number retired I along with thousands of other fans at the game will stand and cheer and appluad him for all he has done for this team.

NFL is a business. TT didn't wanted Favre to retire and step aside. Favre went a long bu then decided he really wanted to play more. So after that everyone handled it really badly.

But it's all in the past. That's a minor bump in the road for favre. And Packer fans should just let it go IMO..

Celebrate him for what he did. If no favre, Packers arent what they are today.. period...

I was one who was off the Favre bandwagon back in 2001. I worked with an award winning journalist back then and he showed me some communications from a former Packers player regarding a story he wanted to do on Brett. They got into the "off the record" stuff. The journalist knew I was a huge Favre/Packers fan and showed it to me. My perception of him was changed forever. I was completely against that guy being our QB after the stuff I'd read. The day he was traded was a day of celebration for me... the guy was fraudulent as it gets.

I'm a big believer in forgiveness but I have seen nothing from him that makes me believe he's sorry for who he's been especially pertaining to his situation as the QB of the Packers.

Personally, I'd rather see Packers/Raiders or Browns game than be present at his ceremony.

No question he did incredible things for this organization on the field and created an aura that Rodgers can't even match even though I find Aaron the better QB. Sports for me are about more than that, though, so I remain "childish" or "petty" and couldn't care less about his ceremony. I think it's something that shouldn't be done, or if it was, long after the current regime (TT/MM/12) are gone. I believe it's still "too soon" for this. If I'm Aaron Rodgers, I gotta wonder why they'd subject me to this?

He's polarizing for sure. I think he should be booed mercilessly during his ceremony. I, for one, wouldn't be applauding him.

NFL is a business. TT didn't wanted Favre to retire and step aside. Favre went a long bu then decided he really wanted to play more. So after that everyone handled it really badly.

But it's all in the past. That's a minor bump in the road for favre. And Packer fans should just let it go IMO..

Celebrate him for what he did. If no favre, Packers arent what they are today.. period...

Always makes my hair (well, the follicles where it used to be) stand up whenever someone ends a subjective opinion with this, "game over", "end of discussion", or anything that indicates there can't possibly be another side. And, although we don't know what other trades might have occurred if not for Atlanta, I was going to show who could have been had in the draft, instead. Sort of stepped on it in doing that, though, because I don't recognize anyone until 1998 that would have made a difference - http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

when you live in an area as far away from green bay as I do, there are very few packers fans to talk to. but I know many fans of other football teams and every single one of them has nothing but positive things to say about brett favre. in general, I think fans of other teams like him more than packers fans. which is very sad. my assistant is a life-long bears fan. i've had many conversations with him in the past where i've brought up how some packers fans hate on favre and he just shakes his head and says "how can any packers fan hate that guy? i'd give anything for him to have been our quarterback." which is exactly how i feel. the guy is without question one of the best quarterbacks in the history of the game, but even more he is one of the best football players in the history of the game. and no amount of unsubstantiated rumors from people who heard from a guy who knows a guy will change my opinion. there's two sides to every story, and people who base their opinions of favre on "behind the scenes stories" told by people who have nothing to lose by trashing legends of the game are being unfair in my opinion.

i recognize the fact that your opinion may vary.

Last edited:
Both Favre and the Packers flunked PR 101 during that circus. Mistakes were made on both sides. More happened than that was made public. Had Thompson made the trade to Tampa it would have been much cleaner

If I'm Aaron Rodgers, I gotta wonder why they'd subject me to this?

I'm surprised you think Aaron wonders why they'd "subject" him to this. Do you think Aaron will call off his own HOF ceremonies years from now so the next Packer QB won't be subject to this?

This won't matter squat to Aaron. He's a mature man in control of his emotions, not some 18 year old girl feeling insecure because her boyfirend's ex is in the same English class this semester. They'll have a HOF ceremony in the off-season, and then a halftime ceremony at a game in Lambeau where Aaron will be in the locker room, and then we likely won't see Brett again for years. Aaron will be the QB for another 5-10 years after this. It's not like the fans will stop cheering Aaron or the team just because of a couple of Brett sightings.

Pack said it best that both sides failed in PR 101. I was fine with everything until Favre went to the Vikings and what happened during that time. I still have a highlight video a friend made after Favre/Pack won the SB. Went from his first game through his miracle wins, play-offs and the SB. All of the different WRs too. And as a bonus some great defensive plays are in there too....Especially White's sacks in the SB.

Point is can really see a difference in Favre the player in those years vs his later years. Who can forget the game where he gets hit and pukes up blood and stays in and we win? One of the gutsiest performances can remember and something with new protocol will never be repeated.

Think and have battled this myself back and forth, is separating Favre the player in GB and the business side and Favre the player elsewhere. We are honoring Favre the Packer and what he did here, not the ugly business and Favre the player elsewhere.

Also in retrospect, think had Wolf/Sherman not made some personnel blunders and Favre had won 1-3 more SBs, don't think things would have ended the nasty way they did when he left and maybe even he would have retired for real as a Packer and the only team he played for when Rodgers took over the reins. It does suck that for all Favre did as a player on the field, he retired with only 1 SB win. That is my fear that we repeat the same mistake currently with Rodgers.

I was one who was off the Favre bandwagon back in 2001. I worked with an award winning journalist back then and he showed me some communications from a former Packers player regarding a story he wanted to do on Brett. They got into the "off the record" stuff. The journalist knew I was a huge Favre/Packers fan and showed it to me. My perception of him was changed forever. I was completely against that guy being our QB after the stuff I'd read. The day he was traded was a day of celebration for me... the guy was fraudulent as it gets.

I'm a big believer in forgiveness but I have seen nothing from him that makes me believe he's sorry for who he's been especially pertaining to his situation as the QB of the Packers.

Personally, I'd rather see Packers/Raiders or Browns game than be present at his ceremony.

No question he did incredible things for this organization on the field and created an aura that Rodgers can't even match even though I find Aaron the better QB. Sports for me are about more than that, though, so I remain "childish" or "petty" and couldn't care less about his ceremony. I think it's something that shouldn't be done, or if it was, long after the current regime (TT/MM/12) are gone. I believe it's still "too soon" for this. If I'm Aaron Rodgers, I gotta wonder why they'd subject me to this?

He's polarizing for sure. I think he should be booed mercilessly during his ceremony. I, for one, wouldn't be applauding him.

gp(( Couldn't agree with this more... spot on. I also wouldn't cheer for him.....

Back