Dougherty: Packers' collapse jeopardizes jobs

Aaron is pulling a Bert FAvor and making a power play against Mike. He wants Mike's power to dictate what the game plan will be. You cannot reward a player for that. If you want to shit can MIke McCarthy, do so, because he's not holding his diva QB accountable.

I agree in theory. This is where both MM screwed up big, and where the fact this team has no upper management leadership during the season really hurts. TT and Murphy should have stepped in and mediated this long ago. I'm actually kind of shocked in this day and age that the Packers still operate in silos.... But back to Arod and MM...

Arod is a prick with a big ego. He has said he wants more control over the offense. And considering he's in the same league with Manning, Brady et al. can't say I blame him. However he needs to respect his coach. For good or bad. I'm sure some of those increasing amount of WTF? moments we watch are MM calling his personnel package and Arod calling a play/audible that set wasn't intended for. On the flip side I'm sure Arod has been in a game looking at the DEF saying WTF is MM thinking? I'm sure he sees his opportunities for another SB slipping away more and more every week.

MM is a prick with a big ego. And I'm sure thinks he's the main reason for the Packers success. He does his major game planning over the summer so there isn't an opportunity for Arod to have input (like Brady and Manning do/did) except for what is essentially window dressing. MM sticks Arod with a personnel group and says have fun. Arod may audible but he's still stuck with a personnel group that doesn't leave much leeway for flexibility.

So there you have an untenable situation from all sides. MM needs to soften up and let Arod have a little more say, Arod needs to soften up and realize he's not the coach. TT needs to remember he's in charge and not just the draft guy, Murphy needs to remind everyone what they are here to do.

I think it's just that Murphy has nothing to do with the football part of the operation. He's the money man. Building Titletown, making overtures to the NFL to host the draft, wooing sponsers, etc. He looks like an empty suit because we don't see the stuff he's doing, but he's doing all the people and money stuff that TT can't or won't do. He's said numerous times that the structure at 1265 is that his job is to stay out of the way when it comes to running the actual team. That's TT's business.

The only time you will see him in a prominent "football" role is when he announces that TT has decided to retire and MM won't be back as the head coach. Hopefully that is this year. After he does that, you'll see him a second time when he announces the new GM. After that, you won't see him again for years.

I wonder if this failure this year could move up the timeline on Ted leaving. Perhaps instead of him just retiring and having a new GM he steps down to a "counsel" spot after this year and has a new GM that works close with Ted. Perhaps it's like when Ted was in Seattle. Ted will do most of the work on the draft but the GM will handle everything else and the GM has final say on all the roster moves and can do what he wants in FA.

I think it's just that Murphy has nothing to do with the football part of the operation. He's the money man. Building Titletown, making overtures to the NFL to host the draft, wooing sponsers, etc. He looks like an empty suit because we don't see the stuff he's doing, but he's doing all the people and money stuff that TT can't or won't do. He's said numerous times that the structure at 1265 is that his job is to stay out of the way when it comes to running the actual team. That's TT's business.

The only time you will see him in a prominent "football" role is when he announces that TT has decided to retire and MM won't be back as the head coach. Hopefully that is this year. After he does that, you'll see him a second time when he announces the new GM. After that, you won't see him again for years.

This is exactly how it works. He even stated that, back about four years ago, at the Share holders meeting. It's actually a good plan, because the football operations can then be free and clear of the politics associated with other business resources.

The bottom line is that Thompson and McCarthy are responsible for making the football operation profitable, and a winning program. Thompson handles profitability real well, with his tight purse strings. For years, we've seen results that were acceptable on the winning end of things, but that's starting to fall apart. If the winning tradition disappears, a lot of that money from outside resources disappears. People like being part of something with winners, not losers. The bottom line on all side ventures could suffer immensely from the Packers becoming losers. Rest assured, the moment those outside ventures suffer one nickel in losses, Murphy will be looking at revamping the football operations by changing leadership.

Three of the longest tenured Head Coaches are all under .500.
McCarthy- 4-5
Payton - 4-6
Tomlin - 4-5

All are dealing with disgruntled fan bases. I don't think we hear about the other two so much because of all the grumbling here. Might be because we were picked to do quite well this year. Saints weren't expecting a lot and the Steelers were going to be an offensive machine with questionable defense. Well, expectations are killing MM right now.
He's on the hottest seat of the three, but Tomlin isn't far behind. Payton might be safest, but they've been bad for a couple years now.

I checked some Saints forums and I couldn't find any threads calling for Payton's head but the Steeler faithful sound a lot like us.

Just a thought: I've read a lot of mixed opinions on Aaron Rodgers from present and former players. Also read mixed opinions from players on the 'leader' of the defense, Mike Daniels.

Ive yet to read anything really damning about Mike McCarthy from players, present or past. Is that just because players are wired not to bash coaches? Or could it be that the real problem is way more AR and other poisonous locker room personalities than MM?

Just a thought: I've read a lot of mixed opinions on Aaron Rodgers from present and former players. Also read mixed opinions from players on the 'leader' of the defense, Mike Daniels.

Ive yet to read anything really damning about Mike McCarthy from players, present or past. Is that just because players are wired not to bash coaches? Or could it be that the real problem is way more AR and other poisonous locker room personalities than MM?

The articles i've read span the spectrum on that question. However, some of the articles have a similar theme in that MM is doing the best he can with a roster that just isn't that talented. Now a lot of that comes from other coaches, so maybe that's just the brotherhood sticking up for one of their own. But TT gets a lot o blame too. You can't make butter with a toothpick seems to be the theme.

I wish I had bookmarked it, and maybe someone knows the article, but that 10 year window is also a theme. Seifert talked about it in that article.

It's a combo of everything. But if the HC can't keep the locker room together then it's all over.

I've read the same CD. But whereas you've heard whispers over the years about AR being an ass (now major media stories), or read stories about players tuning out Mike Daniels' histrionics, I've yet to read anything about players revolting against MM. Really not since he and Woodson had that famous falling out back in 2006.

MM has a flawed and limited roster, and his system is such that he does not make the best of what he has. In order for the team to be successful either his roster needs to be much better, or he needs to be replaced with someone who can do more with less. It's interesting to me that, from the personal standpoint, you don't hear the negative about him the way you do with some of the big names on the roster.

Back