Dougherty: Packers attack CB problem but neglect pass rush

Cheesedog

Reaction score
Dougherty: Packers attack CB problem but neglect pass rush

Some really scary stuff in here:

In the last six years, they’ve picked an outside rusher in the first three rounds only once, and that was Kyler Fackrell, a third-rounder in 2016 who after two seasons is looking very much like a miss.

But he could have maneuvered for one if he’d wanted, and it really is stunning that since picking Nick Perry in the first round in 2012, the only outside rusher the Packers have selected in the first three rounds is Fackrell. Yet, it’s been a need the entire time, because the best chance defenses have of slowing down the NFL’s top quarterbacks is with pressure.

So the Packers again are putting a lot of their pass rush on the precarious health of Perry and aging Clay Matthews, which didn’t work out so well last season, along with the defensive scheming of new coordinator Mike Pettine. They have to hope Pettine is as good as advertised.

In the meantime, Gutekunst has made over the Packers’ cornerback corps for the second time in four years -- his predecessor, Ted Thompson, did the same in 2015 by drafting Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins with his top two picks.

The poor defense we have seen is not all on Dom... Yet another chink of the overly shiny (and undeserved IMO) armor of TT... And GB still over values a defensive front seven that can't rush the QB or put pressure with any regularity.

This is why I still don't like pick #1.... There were guys who could rush there.. And GB desperately needs that.

I will cut Gutey some slack because the size of the defensive remake GB needs will take several seasons. I like the Jackson and Burks picks. But dear lord I hope they plan on going D front 7 heavy next draft...

One question. How does drafting defensive backs improve the pass rush? To even the Packer coaching staff, that was priority one. Yet, instead of addressing this issue, they fly into the teeth of a problem that people have also said was a problem. We have undersized CBs, who can't muscle up to larger WRs. Yet, we draft guys who are essentially no bigger than the guys we already have.

I'm not saying these guys are bad choices, I'm saying that it appears we had other problems that were more critical. One being the pass rush. That rush predicates how well DBs can effectively cover receivers. The longer the QB has to throw the ball, the worse off the DBs are, because plays get too long to develop.

That said, I'm going to assume the Packers brain trust did not see anyone out there at #14, and beyond, who could generate that additional pass rush we need. If that's not the case, and this team falls on it's collective rears defensively again this year, I'm going to have to believe this whole draft could be a waste of time. I just don't believe you find the horses to generate that pass rush you want in mid to late round picks. I do think the Packers will devote a lot of late picks to hoping they find a diamond in the rough for that job, but it's a "fingers crossed moment" at best.

One question. How does drafting defensive backs improve the pass rush? To even the Packer coaching staff, that was priority one. Yet, instead of addressing this issue, they fly into the teeth of a problem that people have also said was a problem. We have undersized CBs, who can't muscle up to larger WRs. Yet, we draft guys who are essentially no bigger than the guys we already have.

I'm not saying these guys are bad choices, I'm saying that it appears we had other problems that were more critical. One being the pass rush. That rush predicates how well DBs can effectively cover receivers. The longer the QB has to throw the ball, the worse off the DBs are, because plays get too long to develop.

That said, I'm going to assume the Packers brain trust did not see anyone out there at #14, and beyond, who could generate that additional pass rush we need. If that's not the case, and this team falls on it's collective rears defensively again this year, I'm going to have to believe this whole draft could be a waste of time. I just don't believe you find the horses to generate that pass rush you want in mid to late round picks. I do think the Packers will devote a lot of late picks to hoping they find a diamond in the rough for that job, but it's a "fingers crossed moment" at best.

I believe Gutey said there were guys there but the Saints just gave them an offer they couldn't refuse with that first rounder for next year... But there were still rushers there at 18.

I believe Gutey said there were guys there but the Saints just gave them an offer they couldn't refuse with that first rounder for next year... But there were still rushers there at 18.

It's almost like they ignored them..... sh))

Yeah I think the Packers were planning on going either James or Edmunds at 14 but Gutekunst could not just turn down that first rounder. I thought the trade up they were actually going to take Vander Esch.

Agree, they aren't saying it, but the way they are approaching things it sure seems like a "reset". I applaud Gute for taking that first for next year, because they may need it. They still have needs at OLB that won't be fixed this year and they need one more interior DL.

Also need to start investing some high draft capital on offense after all these Day 1&2 picks on defense the past 4 years. A higher round WR and TE are needed and a non-UDFA guard might nice as well, but you can take care of that in Rd 3-5.

Plus I wonder if part of Gute's strategy might be to add some quantity to shore up the bottom of the roster. Seems like too much effort has been expended on borderline guys over the years.

For example, at CB it seems they have been dragging guys like Herb Waters, Josh Hawkins, Demitri Goodson and Donatello Brown around for years and it's time to draft guys and pick up free agents and move on from these guys. With what they have added so far this spring, I'm thinking there won't be room for more than 1 of these guys.

Kinda the same situation at WR. Cobb and Adams are are solid. After that it's a half dozen borderline question mark guys. Allison, Davis, Yancey, Clark, Kumerow and Pearson are late rounders and UDFAs who really haven't shown they can handle being a starting outside WR. Allison has flashed but lacks speed. Davis has speed but hasn't really broken through other than on special teams. Clark has a crap-load of potential and I think he could eventually break through, but this group is probably the weakest set of WRs the Pack has had in the AR era. They probably won't fix it this year, but hopefully that extra first rounder next year might be the place they take care of this.

Agree, they aren't saying it, but the way they are approaching things it sure seems like a "reset". I applaud Gute for taking that first for next year, because they may need it. They still have needs at OLB that won't be fixed this year and they need one more interior DL.

Also need to start investing some high draft capital on offense after all these Day 1&2 picks on defense the past 4 years. A higher round WR and TE are needed and a non-UDFA guard might nice as well, but you can take care of that in Rd 3-5.

Plus I wonder if part of Gute's strategy might be to add some quantity to shore up the bottom of the roster. Seems like too much effort has been expended on borderline guys over the years.

For example, at CB it seems they have been dragging guys like Herb Waters, Josh Hawkins, Demitri Goodson and Donatello Brown around for years and it's time to draft guys and pick up free agents and move on from these guys. With what they have added so far this spring, I'm thinking there won't be room for more than 1 of these guys.

Kinda the same situation at WR. Cobb and Adams are are solid. After that it's a half dozen borderline question mark guys. Allison, Davis, Yancey, Clark, Kumerow and Pearson are late rounders and UDFAs who really haven't shown they can handle being a starting outside WR. Allison has flashed but lacks speed. Davis has speed but hasn't really broken through other than on special teams. Clark has a crap-load of potential and I think he could eventually break through, but this group is probably the weakest set of WRs the Pack has had in the AR era. They probably won't fix it this year, but hopefully that extra first rounder next year might be the place they take care of this.
Excellent summation 57. Well done, especially about cleaning up the bottom of the roster. This is going to be a multi year project. I'm all for giving Gutey the chance to do his thing. He's got plenty of work ahead of him.

Well, today they put the bottom of the WR group on notice as well. Three big guys with some speed and ability. Allison, Davis, Yancey, Clark, Kumerow and Pearson are all vulnerable at this point. A couple of them will certainly stay, but 4-5 of them could easily be gone.

Back