Dougherty: Packers attack CB problem but neglect pass rush

i would argue that he has shown more urgency. he brought in wilkerson early on in free agency to deal with the qb pressure issue. he brought in two experienced veteran corners to cover us in case the draft was not productive in that area. i like that he recognizes that there is more than just the draft to fill holes. i think he's on the right track. and he might not be done with bringing in veterans to provide depth. we'll have to see what happens later when teams cut down to 53 and a few surprises emerge.

I wish I could find the article or transcript from a presser or interview where Gutey alluded to that with a couple of his comments. I think he has a plan and he's working his plan. I'm all for giving him the time to make the roster how he wants it.

Anyone think Shane Ray might become availble? Chubb, Von Miller and then Ray? Just spit ballin'.

See what post June 1 cuts are made. But I think Gute is working his plan.

Anyone think Shane Ray might become availble? Chubb, Von Miller and then Ray? Just spit ballin'.

See what post June 1 cuts are made. But I think Gute is working his plan.

Gutey may be able to pick up some vets on cheaper contracts to fill in for the year and hopefully teach the younger kids a thing or two.

I wish I could find the article or transcript from a presser or interview where Gutey alluded to that with a couple of his comments.

I remember that too. I'll look for it later. :)

It sounded like he wasn't done with seeking out the older guys.

Here's another example of the coverage vs rush debate:

Here's what Peter King wrote about Cleveland taking CB Denzel Ward over DE Chubb.:

My question to Dorsey on Friday morning: “If we gave Gregg Williams sodium pentathol right now, who would he have said he wanted with the fourth pick—Denzel Ward or Bradley Chubb?” Dorsey pulled out his cell phone and rang Williams. I asked him the question. Williams: “Ward. The reason is our need for a press cover cornerback. Denzel probably plays that position as well as anyone I’ve seen in college football in some time. We probably play the most press of any team in the league. There’s another reason. I’ve got a video of 28 snaps of Myles Garrett pass-rushes last year where he gets within two steps or less of the quarterback when the ball comes out. Basically, we aren’t covering long enough to let him get to the quarterback. Myles and others—especially [defensive end] Emmanuel Ogbah—will get more chances because of Denzel.”

I’ve got a video of 28 snaps of Myles Garrett pass-rushes last year where he gets within two steps or less of the quarterback when the ball comes out.

i bet there's similar tape of matthews. qbs are getting rid of the ball faster these days.

About the videos above though, I don't think that clip against Cleveland is a shining example of Clay getting hung out to dry by bad coverage. If you look you can see that the Browns were able to 1.) get their RB isolated on one handed Nick Perry, which is a pathetic mismatch, and 2.) get him to break open into an area of the field where there is NO ONE. So what the hell happened there? Was Clay actually supposed to drop into that wide open area of the field to prevent or limit such a catch and run, except he free-lanced into a rush? Was Fackrell supposed to loop around and drop into that zone? Was Burnett supposed to allow Perry to drop back with the TE and cover the RB himself? Or did Dom Capers seriously dial up a formation on D that called for there to be a massive, wide open chunk of field guarded only by an OLB with one functioning hand who had absolutely no leverage to cover an inside break? You can actually see Bitonio stick his right hand out at the snap, almost to say hey, you can beat me to the outside but I'm not letting you get inside because that's the QB's throwing lane for this play. Wow, so many things wrong here.

The MN clip is more on point, but wow that play by Hawkins! Instead of fighting and competing and contesting the ball, he immediately backs off while the WR is making a circus catch. FP( I mean, I don't even know what to say.

EDIT: removed the Gregg Williams quote which was already posted above :)

About the videos above though, I don't think that clip against Cleveland is a shining example of Clay getting hung out to dry by bad coverage. If you look you can see that the Browns were able to 1.) get their RB isolated on one handed Nick Perry, which is a pathetic mismatch, and 2.) get him to break open into an area of the field where there is NO ONE. So what the hell happened there? Was Clay actually supposed to drop into that wide open area of the field to prevent or limit such a catch and run, except he free-lanced into a rush? Was Fackrell supposed to loop around and drop into that zone? Was Burnett supposed to allow Perry to drop back with the TE and cover the RB himself? Or did Dom Capers seriously dial up a formation on D that called for there to be a massive, wide open chunk of field guarded only by an OLB with one functioning hand who had absolutely no leverage to cover an inside break? You can actually see Bitonio stick his right hand out at the snap, almost to say hey, you can beat me to the outside but I'm not letting you get inside because that's the QB's throwing lane for this play. Wow, so many things wrong here.

The MN clip is more on point, but wow that play by Hawkins! Instead of fighting and competing and contesting the ball, he immediately backs off while the WR is making a circus catch. FP( I mean, I don't even know what to say.

EDIT: removed the Gregg Williams quote which was already posted above :)

Against CLEV you can see Martinez coming on an inside blitz and he gets stoned at the LOS.
Good play call, and good execution by CLEV on that play.
My feeling is that with the DL the Packers have now, and the additions to the CB group, I see less and less need for using a nickel package that employs just 2 DL.

Also, we are comparing what was (defense) to what is to come under Pettine, and nobody (except Pettine) really knows what he going to employ with the personnel he has. sh))

Back