CBA Passes; Will Hard Feelings Eventually Pass?

Agree there would be some logistical issues, but not huge issues. You could work the schedule around college games. Hell, you might even want to match them up. Have the Huskers play in Lincoln on Saturday and the Chiefs on Sunday. Make it a whole weekend event. There would be enough hotel rooms in Omaha for overflow if needed for the NFL specific travelers.

Even without that, there would be plenty of open weeks and it's not like you would be playing more than one game per year in any of those venues. You could also play games there in late Nov and through Jan with no conflicts. Certainly some challenges, but nothing you couldn't work around.
Not saying if can’t but coordinating schedules will be a real challenge. Most conference schedules are set the next 3-4 years so not sure how much flexibility they have if any and non conference the same.

Are they adding another bye week?

If they want to do things like play on Thursdays, they should add an extra bye week before that. An extra bye would also let players rest and recover since they are adding an extra game.

Another thing I would like to see is rookies and 2nd year players allowed more practice time to get up to speed with the NFL game. Limit practice time for veterans, but for younger players, those practices are a huge opportunity.

If they want to do things like play on Thursdays, they should add an extra bye week before that. An extra bye would also let players rest and recover since they are adding an extra game.

Another thing I would like to see is rookies and 2nd year players allowed more practice time to get up to speed with the NFL game. Limit practice time for veterans, but for younger players, those practices are a huge opportunity.
No extra bye week...there are already games Thursday

There are two venues in Spain, a couple more in the UK, at least one in Germany. There are more. Just some that I know of off hand. The games will probably be one-offs, testing the waters for further games in each one, and an eye on larger TV audiences, merchandise marketed, and even the possibility of relocation, or expansion, way down the road.

They will also hook up for games in places like San Antonio, and other locations where there are suitable stadiums in the US for neutral games. Then there's Mexico, Canada, and the list goes on.

Rest assured, no matter how many issues we come up with that will make it difficult, the bottom line is that ownership will continuously look for a way to expand market and create a larger revenue stream for themselves.

I don't know what the viewing audience is for games broadcast to Europe, so defer to Packinatl on that one. He's got a good handle on that info.

Enjoy about 10 years of the NFL playing with this thing. It's going to be interesting. I know that one of the things that did not make the league happy was that some teams, like the Packers, refused to give up a home game for a neutral site, like London. Now they don't need to get their permission.

Interesting thought on player development. Maybe a preseason prep for at least two weeks before camp starts? Maybe a little longer?

Not saying if can’t but coordinating schedules will be a real challenge. Most conference schedules are set the next 3-4 years so not sure how much flexibility they have if any and non conference the same.

Not sure about the conference schedules as I don't usually see UW putting things out there more than 2 years in advance. Those college schedules being set far in advance can actually be a good thing. Using Camp Randall as an example, the NFL could know right now, exactly which dates are available in 2020 and 2021. That at least is a certainty you can work around.

It would actually be worse if college was like the NFL where the schedule is more unknown. The NFL would know all the available dates of all potential major college stadiums before the NFL even knows who's playing who the next season. That would seem to make it much easier for them to say - hey, the Chiefs and Packers are playing this season and we have the following 7 Sundays available in Lincoln, so let's see if we can make one of them work. It would seem to be worse if they were working on the schedule not knowing which dates the Huskers are at home.

Not sure about the conference schedules as I don't usually see UW putting things out there more than 2 years in advance. Those college schedules being set far in advance can actually be a good thing. Using Camp Randall as an example, the NFL could know right now, exactly which dates are available in 2020 and 2021. That at least is a certainty you can work ar

It would actually be worse if college was like the NFL where the schedule is more unknown. The NFL would know all the available dates of all potential major college stadiums before the NFL even knows who's playing who the next season. That would seem to make it much easier for them to say - hey, the Chiefs and Packers are playing this season and we have the following 7 Sundays available in Lincoln, so let's see if we can make one of them work. It would seem to be worse if they were working on the schedule not knowing which dates the Huskers are at home.
Yeah I get that and with turf stadiums might me easier, but grass surfaces, with 2 games in 2 days is another thing.

The whole thing will be interesting to sort out. Assuming you have 16 additional games, just off the top of my head

• London (Wembley / Tottenham)
  • San Antonio
  • San Diego
  • St Louis
  • Honolulu
  • Toronto
  • Montreal
  • Vancouver
  • Mexico City

Back