CBA Passes; Will Hard Feelings Eventually Pass?

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
usatsi_10580190.jpg

The players approved a CBA that extends the regular season, expands the playoffs and runs through 2030.

Continue reading...

I've believed for a long time they'd get that 17th game through. I figured from the start it's a "neutral site" game, and they can schedule it anywhere they want. This will be games everywhere in the world, where they want the game. We'll probably see several in Europe, and even games in Japan, Korea, and possibly China. Their objective will be exactly what the intent was when they started introducing the NBA to the world, starting with letting the players play in the Olympics.

More games, and foreign markets, translates to big bucks coming in to the league. Imagine the up-tick in parephenalia sold.

I've believed for a long time they'd get that 17th game through. I figured from the start it's a "neutral site" game, and they can schedule it anywhere they want. This will be games everywhere in the world, where they want the game. We'll probably see several in Europe, and even games in Japan, Korea, and possibly China. Their objective will be exactly what the intent was when they started introducing the NBA to the world, starting with letting the players play in the Olympics.

More games, and foreign markets, translates to big bucks coming in to the league. Imagine the up-tick in parephenalia sold.
Maybe later in the CBA it will. But it will take time to find new locations and set up planning. For now it will be every other year being at home then on the road the next.

Maybe later in the CBA it will. But it will take time to find new locations and set up planning. For now it will be every other year being at home then on the road the next.
There will be neutral site games. The league has over a year to figure it out but I can’t see owners agreeing to an imbalance in revenue. London has 2 acceptable venues to that’s one option. Other options include San Diego, San Antonio, St Louis and venues in Canada.

I don’t see Korea, Japan or China as options. Remember the NBA had a kickstart with basketball being an Olympic sport so it had the built in demand. Also issues with infrastructure, visa, stadiums will be more than a challenge.

Remember that the 17th game was a baby step to getting an 18th game in 10 years. The other thing is the underlying reason for 17 games was to get a more lucrative TV deal. The league already is having issues figuring out London, can’t see how they explore past that until they figure that out

I don’t see Korea, Japan or China as options. Remember the NBA had a kickstart with basketball being an Olympic sport so it had the built in demand. Also issues with infrastructure, visa, stadiums will be more than a challenge.

Remember that the 17th game was a baby step to getting an 18th game in 10 years. The other thing is the underlying reason for 17 games was to get a more lucrative TV deal. The league already is having issues figuring out London, can’t see how they explore past that until they figure that out
I see China and Japan in the next 5 years for sure.

Agree that the far east is not a likely destination other than for a single game now and then - say in Tokyo. I think you could sell enough "curiosity" tickets every few years, but other than that I don't think there is enough traction over there for it to be a regular thing.

Europe is probably the best overseas option and even there I'm not sure you should have a lot of games there. I assume London would remain in play. I know there is some interest in football in Germany and they would likely have multiple acceptable venues. Not so sure there is enough interest anywhere else in Europe. The only bonus with continental Europe is that it's small enough and densely populated such that a game say in Berlin, Munich or Frankfurt could draw fans from France, Poland, Denmark, etc. because every one of those places is within a 4-8 hour drive/train ride. Still, I'm not sure you could play more than a game or two per year there before you overdo it and ticket sales drop off.

I think most of the neutral site games would need to focus on cities/states within the US (and Canada?) that don't currently have NFL franchises, but have suitable venues. St. Louis, San Antonio, San Diego, Austin, Columbus, Louisville and others would be good sized cities with a good stadium. I would think you could even go to modest size cities like Lincoln, Tuscaloosa, Norman, etc., where there is clearly a football fanbase and a suitable stadium.

Agree that the far east is not a likely destination other than for a single game now and then - say in Tokyo. I think you could sell enough "curiosity" tickets every few years, but other than that I don't think there is enough traction over there for it to be a regular thing.

Europe is probably the best overseas option and even there I'm not sure you should have a lot of games there. I assume London would remain in play. I know there is some interest in football in Germany and they would likely have multiple acceptable venues. Not so sure there is enough interest anywhere else in Europe. The only bonus with continental Europe is that it's small enough and densely populated such that a game say in Berlin, Munich or Frankfurt could draw fans from France, Poland, Denmark, etc. because every one of those places is within a 4-8 hour drive/train ride. Still, I'm not sure you could play more than a game or two per year there before you overdo it and ticket sales drop off.

I think most of the neutral site games would need to focus on cities/states within the US (and Canada?) that don't currently have NFL franchises, but have suitable venues. St. Louis, San Antonio, San Diego, Austin, Columbus, Louisville and others would be good sized cities with a good stadium. I would think you could even go to modest size cities like Lincoln, Tuscaloosa, Norman, etc., where there is clearly a football fanbase and a suitable stadium.
College stadiums while in size make sense, logistics would be a challenge. Most on campus hotel’s get a 3 day guarantee on hotel rooms so you could not do college on Sunday and pro Sunday.

College stadiums while in size make sense, logistics would be a challenge. Most on campus hotel’s get a 3 day guarantee on hotel rooms so you could not do college on Sunday and pro Sunday.

Agree there would be some logistical issues, but not huge issues. You could work the schedule around college games. Hell, you might even want to match them up. Have the Huskers play in Lincoln on Saturday and the Chiefs on Sunday. Make it a whole weekend event. There would be enough hotel rooms in Omaha for overflow if needed for the NFL specific travelers.

Even without that, there would be plenty of open weeks and it's not like you would be playing more than one game per year in any of those venues. You could also play games there in late Nov and through Jan with no conflicts. Certainly some challenges, but nothing you couldn't work around.

Back