Barry Alvarez 'very concerned' with new California college sports law, won't schedule teams from state

There are inducements, no doubt about it. There are kids who come from poverty who end up driving $75,000 sports cars by their Junior year, and dressing straight out of GQ. It's obvious they don't have a part time job checking to make sure exit lights are on each evening in a dorm, that's supporting that. Yet, nothing is said by the NCAA, even if it's blatant. Obviously, the vehicle, or the money for the vehicle and clothes, comes from somewhere.

As for the exit lights in a dorm? I knew two football players many years ago who had that job.

No doubt there are inducements. That won't change either way. I'm just thinking that while it's "right", it may just open a whole other Pandora's box of violations and options to manipulate the system. Some people feel this is a way to get rid of certain issues with violations and get rid of the arcane NCAA and it's investigations. To me it might just open up more ways to cheat and turn the whole college recruiting game into a bigger money grab. I'm fine with these bills, just wondering how this plays out over the long-term. I'm kinda tired of the NCAA and I wonder if this just doesn't open up more/other things for them to investigate - with few results.

Back