Barry Alvarez 'very concerned' with new California college sports law, won't schedule teams from state

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Defying the NCAA, California opened the way Monday for college athletes to hire agents and make money from endorsement deals with sneaker companies, soft drink makers, car dealerships and other sponsors, just like the pros.

Continue reading...

I understand his concerns. There will be legal challenges.

Once Minnesota, Illinois and Ohio pass that same law will The Emperor stop playing them also? I get some of the concerns but its really going to impact 1% of D1 players and many will find out that their NIL is not as valuable at they thought. I don't get the train of thought that this will change get balance of power. You got 90 kids on scholarships and 1 or 2 is not going to a team like Wisconsin up to a level to compete with Alabama, Oklahoma, Clemson on a a consistent basis. Even it basketball the elite kids will head direct to the NBA once that rule changes next year.

Dear Barry, instead of bitching, get with your fellow AD's and find a common ground solution and try to maintain or stop this brush fire before its out of control

Once Minnesota, Illinois and Ohio pass that same law will The Emperor stop playing them also? I get some of the concerns but its really going to impact 1% of D1 players and many will find out that their NIL is not as valuable at they thought. I don't get the train of thought that this will change get balance of power. You got 90 kids on scholarships and 1 or 2 is not going to a team like Wisconsin up to a level to compete with Alabama, Oklahoma, Clemson on a a consistent basis. Even it basketball the elite kids will head direct to the NBA once that rule changes next year.

Dear Barry, instead of bitching, get with your fellow AD's and find a common ground solution and try to maintain or stop this brush fire before its out of control

The problem is that you need to have some forward thinkers here that are looking at things in a different light. It's been done one way for so long that no one had to think about it. It just keeps on keeping on. I'm not saying I'm for or against but this should be a call to arms and start looking at possible solutions.

And here is what the NCAA needs to wrap their heads around. This essentially stops the play for pay debate that has been around for the last few years. The states have given them a framework to find solutions to issues that they have been incapable of dealing with for decades

And here is what the NCAA needs to wrap their heads around. This essentially stops the play for pay debate that has been around for the last few years. The states have given them a framework to find solutions to issues that they have been incapable of dealing with for decades
Agreed. Bring it above board with transparency and set up a decent framework as you've said. A lot of smart people on both sides of this could figure a solution. Only barrier is their individual stakes

Agreed. Bring it above board with transparency and set up a decent framework as you've said. A lot of smart people on both sides of this could figure a solution. Only barrier is their individual stakes
To the point that we are discussing ....nice read

Florida bill was introduced today. Would kick in in 2020, 3 years before California. Biggest difference in bill compared to California.....Only enrolled athletes could do it, so couldn't be used as recruiting tool. Multiple other states also working on bills.

I really have no objection to players being able to "market" themselves in college. The issue for me is how this could be potentially abused. If a player autograph is worth "X" on the free market and the player manages to get "X" so be it.

The concern would be say an unscrupulous booster who tells recruits that every freshman gets a signing day after they enroll and they are paid "10 times X" per autograph, all subsidized by booster(s). This isn't a player marketing themselves on the free market but rather artificial inducements for recruits who enroll. I'm sure creative people will come up with other ways to scam the system.

Hopefully between the states and the NCAA/athletic directors they can come up with a way to make this happen that doesn't allow schools with lots of big money boosters to scam and skew the system. Still, I'm pretty sure this will skew recruiting in the direction of schools in states with large populations with plenty of fans willing to pay to get something from the player. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, BYU might have more problems enticing high level recruits than say schools in Cali, Texas, FLorida and Ohio. . . . not that it's not sort of already that way.

I really have no objection to players being able to "market" themselves in college. The issue for me is how this could be potentially abused. If a player autograph is worth "X" on the free market and the player manages to get "X" so be it.

The concern would be say an unscrupulous booster who tells recruits that every freshman gets a signing day after they enroll and they are paid "10 times X" per autograph, all subsidized by booster(s). This isn't a player marketing themselves on the free market but rather artificial inducements for recruits who enroll. I'm sure creative people will come up with other ways to scam the system.

Hopefully between the states and the NCAA/athletic directors they can come up with a way to make this happen that doesn't allow schools with lots of big money boosters to scam and skew the system. Still, I'm pretty sure this will skew recruiting in the direction of schools in states with large populations with plenty of fans willing to pay to get something from the player. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, BYU might have more problems enticing high level recruits than say schools in Cali, Texas, FLorida and Ohio. . . . not that it's not sort of already that way.
artificial inducements for recruits happens already let’s not kid ourselves. Minnesota will Introduce a bill soon as will 3-4 other states. I think in the long haul the NIL will not be as valuable to 95% of the kids like we think they might be. Time will tell. I highly doubt the NCAA does anything. They are incompetent and incapable of being ahead of the curve , the O Bannon case proved that

Back