Badgers lack speed on defense

TW

Reaction score
Speed kills. Nebraska isn't super fast, but you could see all the problems the Badgers have when it comes to enough speed to track down running backs, and stay with receivers. If we do end up playing OSU again, by winning out, the Badgers are going to need a lot of luck to even stay in the game. We lost big the first time, it could be worse the second time.

Fortunately our inside linebackers were disciplined enough to at least keep their QB from gouging us even worse. Keeanu Benton showed a lot of strength and poise for a freshman, but he needs work on the two gap technique. It will come.

As far as Coan and our passing game, we could argue whether it's Coan or the receivers that's the problem. There just doesn't seem to be enough there to make us a true contender.

Disagree it wasn't speed at all. Frost used Jimmy L overaggressive style against him much like NFL teams do vs MP in Green bay. It works sometimes but when an OC adjusts to it you have to have a counter in your play sheet. Jimmy will learn that through time.

As for this
There just doesn't seem to be enough there to make us a true contender.

UW isn't trying to be a contender for a national title. That's not how Barry built the program nor what he expects from PC. Win 8 or 9 and get into a nice warm bowl game with a Rose bowl sprinkled in and he'll get a raise and renewed. That's reality in Madison.

UW isn't trying to be a contender for a national title. That's not how Barry built the program nor what he expects from PC. Win 8 or 9 and get into a nice warm bowl game with a Rose bowl sprinkled in and he'll get a raise and renewed. That's reality in Madison.

i think that's probably the best anyone can hope for given uw's academic requirements.

Disagree it wasn't speed at all. Frost used Jimmy L overaggressive style against him much like NFL teams do vs MP in Green bay. It works sometimes but when an OC adjusts to it you have to have a counter in your play sheet. Jimmy will learn that through time.

As for this

I think speed is part of the issue. If you spread UW out the LB’s are quick but not sideline to sideline fast. But yesterday it was as much scheme, when Orr stayed at home and did not over commit they looked ok. One other glaring issue is depth at CB. Burton continues to look lost and losing Nelson has hurt also.

As for this

100% agree on contender thing. So many issues to overcome to be in the discussion for CFP

In the back of my mind, I also think Barry doesn't hire people who may surpass his legacy
#1 issue academic requirements #2 issue recruiting base #3 issue athletic budget.

Academics is a cop out. The others could be true, and I think there's something to my Barry comment

Academics is a cop out. The others could be true, and I think there's something to my Barry comment
Not a cop out, Wisconsin does not take partial qualifiers as they did in the past, guys lie Dayne, Clay would not get cleared, rest of the B1G does take partial qualifiers with the exception of NW

Granted Anderson is not the best example here but this helps explain it. Just go back to the Stevenson recruitment and that puts it in more perspective

I think you're all ignoring the elephant in the room. While academics is a big issue, it comes down to what's important to these college athletes; An education, or location? UW can't recruit against SEC schools, for example, not only because of the generally higher level of talent there but the warmer weather at those southern schools. Cute coeds not bundled up in heavy jackets most of the college year is much more appealing than winters in Madison.

Back