Badgers lack speed on defense

In the back of my mind, I also think Barry doesn't hire people who may surpass his legacy

What's his legacy? If its revitalizing a program that was bankrupt yes and nobody will do that. His successor also got the program to 3 Rose Bowls and went 68-24. Reality if Chryst left tomorrow this program would have an issue getting a high profile coach because of budget. His real legacy is who he picks to be the new AD

I think you're all ignoring the elephant in the room. While academics is a big issue, it comes down to what's important to these college athletes; An education, or location? UW can't recruit against SEC schools, for example, not only because of the generally higher level of talent there but the warmer weather at those southern schools. Cute coeds not bundled up in heavy jackets most of the college year is much more appealing than winters in Madison.

Its not an issue for Michigan, Penn State or OSU (OSU is an outlier here). For years was not an issue in East Lansing. Actually Bret B did ok recruiting FLA, made inroads at in WPB and Ft Lauderdale and if he would have stayed at UW, Collins would have been in Madison not Arkansas. Brissette was headed to Madison until mom and dad stepped in. While its not a truck load to 5 star kids its attractive to some, not many and yes you point is valid with exceptions

I hate any thoughts of giving in to the idea that academics don't matter, when it comes to student/athletes. If you want a "pro league" of college football teams, fine. Create a minor league for the NFL, for those who can't make it in college. I do agree with compensation "across the board" for all student athletes based on the usage of their collective names in games, and advertising. That shouldn't violate any rules, because it would be fair for all.

I don't expect too many people to agree with this, but it doesn't matter. It's just my opinion.

I hate any thoughts of giving in to the idea that academics don't matter, when it comes to student/athletes. If you want a "pro league" of college football teams, fine. Create a minor league for the NFL, for those who can't make it in college. I do agree with compensation "across the board" for all student athletes based on the usage of their collective names in games, and advertising. That shouldn't violate any rules, because it would be fair for all.

I don't expect too many people to agree with this, but it doesn't matter. It's just my opinion.
we agree on this more than you think
Actually academics matter but it’s not a fair playing field across the board. Some accept partial qualifiers some do not, that a school decision. It’s not about getting into school, that’s the percent who go the JC route.

My issue is that the words NCAA & amateur athletics should not be used in the same sentence. It’s a billion dollar business where schools , conferences and coaches profit, and yes the underbelly at many schools is academics do not matter. Athletics create donors, boosters and increase admissions applications. Translation more revenues. Sure having a top business or journalism or medical school brings in grants and undergraduate and post graduate students but does not create close to the revenue that the B1G Net or ESPN or CBS bring in with media rights deals. Yes let’s start with NIL rights but also let’s reform transfer rules, let a kid be eligible just like coaches can leave on the drop of the hat. It’s an archaic system that needs reform

we agree on this more than you think
Actually academics matter but it’s not a fair playing field across the board. Some accept partial qualifiers some do not, that a school decision. It’s not about getting into school, that’s the percent who go the JC route.

My issue is that the words NCAA & amateur athletics should not be used in the same sentence. It’s a billion dollar business where schools , conferences and coaches profit, and yes the underbelly at many schools is academics do not matter. Athletics create donors, boosters and increase admissions applications. Translation more revenues. Sure having a top business or journalism or medical school brings in grants and undergraduate and post graduate students but does not create close to the revenue that the B1G Net or ESPN or CBS bring in with media rights deals. Yes let’s start with NIL rights but also let’s reform transfer rules, let a kid be eligible just like coaches can leave on the drop of the hat. It’s an archaic system that needs reform

It would be an enormous undertaking. I think it should happen.

Its not an issue for Michigan, Penn State or OSU (OSU is an outlier here). For years was not an issue in East Lansing. Actually Bret B did ok recruiting FLA, made inroads at in WPB and Ft Lauderdale and if he would have stayed at UW, Collins would have been in Madison not Arkansas. Brissette was headed to Madison until mom and dad stepped in. While its not a truck load to 5 star kids its attractive to some, not many and yes you point is valid with exceptions
Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State have a much longer legacy of success in football than UW, and feature offenses that utilize speed as opposed to the UW ground game. Yes, there are exceptions to the rule, but I firmly believe the SEC has become the best football conference in the country because they can recruit location.

Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State have a much longer legacy of success in football than UW, and feature offenses that utilize speed as opposed to the UW ground game. Yes, there are exceptions to the rule, but I firmly believe the SEC has become the best football conference in the country because they can recruit location.
Actually the ACC can recruit location as good as the SEC in some cases but that’s been the exception the last 5-6 years. But they also have better facilities than the B1G does with the expectation of OSU. I would not agree Michigan or PSU utilizes speed but their recruiting geography helps them to get more skilled players at some positions. Agree on legacy but ESPN has helped narrow that’s. Most high school kids probably have no idea who Paterno or Schmbeckler is. But they know Dabo and Urb and Nick. FSU has found out the hard way that legacy can be fleeting, same as Miami

I also think that former powerhouses like Nebraska have suffered because of ESPN - other schools are now recruiting into the areas that Nebraska used to own.

I also think that former powerhouses like Nebraska have suffered because of ESPN - other schools are now recruiting into the areas that Nebraska used to own.
Agree on that and some questionable coaching hires such as Callahan and Riley did not help any. And let’s be honest who other than 50+ remember Osborn and the glory years.

Nebraska used to boast those huge offensive lines, and front sevens on D, from in-state. Farm boys, just like Wisconsin does now. A lot of those kids no longer have that allegiance, and stay home. I hope it doesn't leave Wisconsin. It's the backbone of what we have year after year, and has helped draw some solid RBs who can be difference makers.

Having watched Nokia Watson since he was in 9th grade, I'm excited for what he could bring to the table next year for Bucky. I just hope he learns to slow his roll just enough to make solid reads, like Taylor does. It's often the difference maker between a really good back and an exceptionally good back.

tonight I watch Nokia's old HS play in a march towards a possible state championship. They have a couple of kids on that roster that I wish were in the Badger's sights.

Back