BadgerMens BB Thread 2023/24

The problem is the reality that there are offers specifically made to these guys to go to specific schools. Just thought that Storr was marketing himself at $1 mill, and Kansas staying put on an offer of $750k indicates just how far out of whack the system really is.

The NCAA needs to admit they're no longer viable and fold their tent.

Lot of these kids are going to have 5-7 figures in there bank accounts coming out of college. If they had a scholarship means no debt and even if they don't go pro will they have any kind of work ethic because they already have some money.

Reactions: TW
Biggest domino to fall yet - Chucky Hepburn entering the portal. Gard better hope that Freitag is ready to play significant minutes as a freshman.

There is some talk radio speculation out there that Chucky and his buddy Frankie Fidler, the kid Gard was going after in the portal are a package deal now.

Biggest domino to fall yet - Chucky Hepburn entering the portal. Gard better hope that Freitag is ready to play significant minutes as a freshman.

There is some talk radio speculation out there that Chucky and his buddy Frankie Fidler, the kid Gard was going after in the portal are a package deal now.
Gard is done after next year all the good players on this team are going to hit the portal knowing it's a sinking ship. I don't think this team will even qualify for the tourney next year making the AD's choice even easier to fire Gard.

Gard is done after next year all the good players on this team are going to hit the portal knowing it's a sinking ship. I don't think this team will even qualify for the tourney next year making the AD's choice even easier to fire Gard.
Again.... not sure UW can afford to cut lose another HC again. You've been bitching about Gard for 3 seasons....he's still here.

Also the whole ..."the kid is transferring, Oh no it's the coach" stuff is passe welcome to the NCAA in 2024.... there is no loyalty. Alabama and UGA lost players to the portal in Football.... Duke and Kansas in BB. It's the new norm. Deal with it boys and girls.

Again.... not sure UW can afford to cut lose another HC again. You've been bitching about Gard for 3 seasons....he's still here.
After next season his buyout falls down to 8 million. Either have to fire him or ride him out to contract ends because first 3 years buyout is 12 million then down to 8 million year 4 and 5 million year 5. No matter what it's a large buyout and can't see the school just sit for 2 more years to let the contract expire to get rid of him

After next season his buyout falls down to 8 million. Either have to fire him or ride him out to contract ends because first 3 years buyout is 12 million then down to 8 million year 4 and 5 million year 5. No matter what it's a large buyout and can't see the school just sit for 2 more years to let the contract expire to get rid of him
Dude, they can't keep buying out, not Michigan or Ohio State. Too many other obligations.... is the arena full every game? Yes, is the program making $$$, Yes. There is your answer.

Horrible news about Chucky.

Mark, I agree that College Sports life is completely different than it was 2 years ago. I'm trying to accept and get used to it. I realize that players are going to leave to try greener pastures.

However, the problem with Bucky Basketball is that Bucky's core starters and players that were expected to provide a lot are leaving. Without a coach leaving, you don't see that from other programs at the rate it is happening to Bucky.

Some of us thought this would happen. Unfortunately, it is happening. Currently, the program is circling the drain.

It appears Gard is a nice guy and knowledgeable about basketball. However, his brand of basketball - regardless of how good and fundamentally sound it may be - does not seem to put players on the path to the pros. If Bucky loses any more players - Blackwell, McGee, and/or Klesmit - they are toast. Then you won't see the Kohl Center rocking.

Gard won't be fired. I think they'd owe him $9 mill if fired without cause. After this coming season, it would be $6 mill. He's probably going to get two more years, then could get the axe when it's only a $3 mill buy out. But, in the meantime, we're going to find out if the guy can adjust to the playground basketball that's going to be coming his way, like it or not. Guys like McGee and Blackwell excel at it. If he gets a couple of guys through the portal who can slash to the hoop, he's got himself a solid team.

To be honest, I'm not a bit surprised Hepburn is leaving. Some people may be upset about it, but I thought Blackwell was already poised to replace him by the middle of this past season. It does mean we are out of the Fidler race I'd assume. But, that's life.

Personally, I didn't think Hepburn was that good. We're going to see a huge upturn in the offensive game. All they need to do now is land a couple of dead eyes through the portal who can put the ball up from outside, and can drive to the hoop. It's going to be a lot more aggressive team than it was with guys like Hepburn and Essegian out there. They weren't fast enough to play the game. I said it most of last year. The game is changing, and the Badgers need to get out of that 4 corners set shot routine.

I have hopes that Gard can change. We have to hope they're all out there working their rears off looking for the right fits to fill the open spots.

Back