Aaron Rodgers new contract

So just speculation / opinion

#12 deal ends after 2019 season CBA expires after 2020
Team could play the deal out with a tag in 2020, low risk high reward
#12 wants some security after 2019 not just a tag (See Cousins)

So with the tag he would be 36 at end of deal with tag, how much risk do you take? (extend 3 years?) McCarthy has stated Kizer would have been been a 1st round pick in this years draft (roll eyes) and history shows the organization is willing to move on (Favre). I do not think the opt out is the issue its contract length and guarantee $$. 3 yrs vs 5 and guarantee $$ to make ACV is in line with Ryan

From what I heard Rodgers does not want to sign a contract now that in 2-3 years he is then down to the 3rd-5th highest paid QB in the NFL. I think he is trying to use the opt out to try to get the Packers to agree to some sort of deal that will readjust to the market when his contract is passed up. Ex: he gets 110 fully guranteed Carson Wentz 2 years from now gets 120 fully guaranteed Rodgers then gets a extra $10 million paid to him through a roster bonus or something to match what Wentz got guaranteed.

From what I heard Rodgers does not want to sign a contract now that in 2-3 years he is then down to the 3rd-5th highest paid QB in the NFL. I think he is trying to use the opt out to try to get the Packers to agree to some sort of deal that will readjust to the market when his contract is passed up. Ex: he gets 110 fully guranteed Carson Wentz 2 years from now gets 120 fully guaranteed Rodgers then gets a extra $10 million paid to him through a roster bonus or something to match what Wentz got guaranteed.

Wentz has a 5th year option available

Wentz has a 5th year option available

True but if he comes back from the injury this year and plays like he did before I can see the Eagles trying to sign him as you wait 2 more years you could end up paying several million more then if you would pay him 30-32 million after this year

True but if he comes back from the injury this year and plays like he did before I can see the Eagles trying to sign him as you wait 2 more years you could end up paying several million more then if you would pay him 30-32 million after this year

Wentz is eligible for an extension in 2019 but if Philly exercises the 5th year no UFA until 2021. Why extend with CBA expiring ? Risk vs reward

So just speculation / opinion

#12 deal ends after 2019 season CBA expires after 2020
Team could play the deal out with a tag in 2020, low risk high reward
#12 wants some security after 2019 not just a tag (See Cousins)

So with the tag he would be 36 at end of deal with tag, how much risk do you take? (extend 3 years?) McCarthy has stated Kizer would have been been a 1st round pick in this years draft (roll eyes) and history shows the organization is willing to move on (Favre). I do not think the opt out is the issue its contract length and guarantee $$. 3 yrs vs 5 and guarantee $$ to make ACV is in line with Ryan

I know this is knit-picking, but wouldn't AR be 37 (not 36) by the time that tag year plays out?

I know it's only 1 year, but that could further impact a decision to give him an extension. JMHO

I doubt it, My personal opinion is he wants an out so he can finish on the West coast if he so desires, He loves LA and lives there offseason, his GF lives in Arizona as well so other then $ why stay in the midwest???

I could see that as his desire, but which west coast team?

OAK, RAMS, and 49r's all have young franchise QB's. Also, Wilson isn't going anywhere in SEA, and AZ just drafted Josh Rosen. Hard to imagine any of those teams looking to break the bank for AR. But, never say never, I guess.

Chargers would be the only team in play (jmho), but they may be selecting the (hopeful) heir to Rivers in the next draft.
Rivers current contract ends the same year AR's does, so it would make sense for them to draft that person next year and let him sit behind Rivers for a year before they need him (again, jmho).

I could see that as his desire, but which west coast team?

OAK, RAMS, and 49r's all have young franchise QB's. Also, Wilson isn't going anywhere in SEA, and AZ just drafted Josh Rosen. Hard to imagine any of those teams looking to break the bank for AR. But, never say never, I guess.

Chargers would be the only team in play (jmho), but they may be selecting the (hopeful) heir to Rivers in the next draft.
Rivers current contract ends the same year AR's does, so it would make sense for them to draft that person next year and let him sit behind Rivers for a year before they need him (again, jmho).

Chargers come to mind. Quite frankly you're splitting hairs here. The fact remains he's not really 100 % vested in GB and secondly the Rodgers era isn't going to be here much longer despite what some might wish or want.

I see the Rodgers era in GB ending sooner than a lot of people think. I don't believe McCarthy has a long leash as coach. It's either make it to the dance this year, or he could be sent packing, and a new HC would be asked to rebuild the whole team, and Rodgers would kind of be like Montana was in SF, with Young hanging around, to take his place.

I know we haven't got a Young in-house, but that could happen sooner than people think. With two first round picks next year, the QB in waiting could be the QB on the field in 2020, with new coaches, and rebuilding from the ground up. In all honesty, we don't have any "young stars" left on this team. It's all "aging stars."

The one thing the Packer front office won't allow is the Packers to slowly dip to the bottom of the league, and stay there, like the 70s & 80s. They're going to put new pieces in place so the downturn will only be for a couple of years before they at least reach challenge level for their division.

Well the issues is there are no Mayfields, Darnolds, or Rosen or Allens in the 2019 class. Herbert has the best upside but past that its a major crap shoot and Herbert will be long gone before we pick

Well the issues is there are no Mayfields, Darnolds, or Rosen or Allens in the 2019 class. Herbert has the best upside but past that its a major crap shoot and Herbert will be long gone before we pick
I would say the talent drain extends beyond the QB postion as well. It's critical that the AAF spring league makes it... NFL badly needs a developmental league to pull from and build back quality depth.

Back