Aaron Rodgers new contract

Starting to sound like he isn't planning on playing into his 40s anymore... Get huge extension with front loaded or 100% guarantees, add opt out clause, play a few years, get even richer, call it quits while laughing all the way to the bank...

I don't really follow the players contracts very well, or at all for that matter, but doesn't any position see an increase from the previous year? The article made it sound like AR was worried about being the highest paid QB each year. I'm really wondering about his motivations and if his ego is really that big or fragile. I mean, it doesn't take money out of my pocket if he gets paid that money but the nature of the NFL is such that what he signs for today, will probably be met and/or exceeded by another top QB in subsequent years. I don't see how he has any leverage on this situation yet it sort of speaks to his mindset.

I understand him fighting for escalators, I really do. Right now he’s making Mike Glennon money, which is embarrassing.

What he also seems to want, though, is to be able to hold the team hostage every two years, and threaten to leave if they don’t keep the players he wants or sign the FA he wants or fire the coach he wants etc. He wants to be Lebron James. That part hasn’t been confirmed yet as much as the salary escalation part so we’ll see. But given his temper tantrum over Jordy Nelson and AVP recently it wouldn’t surprise me.

I understand him fighting for escalators, I really do. Right now he’s making Mike Glennon money, which is embarrassing.

What he also seems to want, though, is to be able to hold the team hostage every two years, and threaten to leave if they don’t keep the players he wants or sign the FA he wants or fire the coach he wants etc. He wants to be Lebron James. That part hasn’t been confirmed yet as much as the salary escalation part so we’ll see. But given his temper tantrum over Jordy Nelson and AVP recently it wouldn’t surprise me.

Just to play Devils advocate though, LeBron has been in the NBA finals with CLE what, four years in a row now? Maybe he's on to something sneaky:whistling))

Then again, maybe it's a genius move. As I said, I'm not up on all the ins and outs of the contracts and I don't claim to understand any of it but maybe he's asking for this stuff because he knows the Packers won't do it. Thus, sort of forcing the Packers to ride out the remaining contract, then franchise him a couple years. What does the money work out to be that way? What happens after the 2nd franchise tag has been applied?

Packers would be foolish to hand over leverage to Rodgers. Why put themselves behind the 8 ball when they don't have too? They could if they choose to keep him under contract for 5 more years using 3 years of franchise tags. Granted the 3rd year would be a 50+ million cap number buy you could keep him till he's 39 years old then. At that age I don't think you will have ton's of teams wanting to beat down his door to sign him at that age. You might have a couple who think they can be like Denver right at SB level and need a better QB and willing to go all in for a 2-3 year window.

My thoughts is play out 2018, let's see where he is after that. GB can get 3 seasons out of him realistically without doing much of anything. 2 yrs on this contract and the 3rd tagged. Of course he might try the holdout routine in which case you can still trade him for great value.

I really think you need to invest that extra #1 on a QB next yr regardless, time to look ahead.tc(

Packers need to hold tight and not give in to Rodgers demands of the opt out crap or the high guaranteed money. Let him play the last 2 years of his contract, franchise him and if he truly is unhappy, trade him and get something for him. They cant afford to let him or any one player to hurt the team with such a ridiculous contract.

The only way I would even consider using a 1st round pick on a QB next year is if they know Rodgers wont be signed to an extension. If they have him re signed, or know they will, then no way do I draft a QB 1st round. Depending on the length of an extension, there is no need to take a QB that early for a few years. A little later like rounds 3-4 maybe now.

My thoughts is play out 2018, let's see where he is after that. GB can get 3 seasons out of him realistically without doing much of anything. 2 yrs on this contract and the 3rd tagged. Of course he might try the holdout routine in which case you can still trade him for great value.

I really think you need to invest that extra #1 on a QB next yr regardless, time to look ahead.tc(

Considering we will hopefully have a new HC and offense after this season it makes even more sense to wait it out.

Reactions: ski
I would give AR none of the items mentioned in all these articles. He has 4 -5 years left with the Packers and can accept a good contract that makes him a very rich man. I highly doubt that his production will be worthy of being the highest paid player in the NFL 2-3 years from now.

Back