Aaron Rodgers new contract

Year after year, the team has generally had CAP room left over and just rolled it forward to the next year and then haven't used it again. Does it really matter if AR grabs $5mil more or less? Until this year the team has shown no desire to use the CAP on free agent talent to improve the roster so why leave money on the table if they won't use it anyway.

Year after year, the team has generally had CAP room left over and just rolled it forward to the next year and then haven't used it again. Does it really matter if AR grabs $5mil more or less? Until this year the team has shown no desire to use the CAP on free agent talent to improve the roster so why leave money on the table if they won't use it anyway.

This has bothered me too. It's like they're saving money for an emergency, and when the emergency comes, they decide they'd rather have the money to make the bottom line look better. It may be wise financially, but I think it's been a hindrance in advancing team needs at times.

This has bothered me too. It's like they're saving money for an emergency, and when the emergency comes, they decide they'd rather have the money to make the bottom line look better. It may be wise financially, but I think it's been a hindrance in advancing team needs at times.

It's not cap room that the issue. Packers don't like paying massive SB that take money out of their coffers. A Rodgers deal will likely mean they will be giving him a $50 million dollar check when he signs on the dotted line. Packers are a team that likes to try to keep their coffers full often. I think that's why you don't see them dipping into FA much as it allows them to avoid paying large SB to players.

It's not cap room that the issue. Packers don't like paying massive SB that take money out of their coffers. A Rodgers deal will likely mean they will be giving him a $50 million dollar check when he signs on the dotted line. Packers are a team that likes to try to keep their coffers full often. I think that's why you don't see them dipping into FA much as it allows them to avoid paying large SB to players.

That's an excellent point on signing bonus money. It probably has to do a lot with their expansion in off-field ventures. Keeping as much capital as they can free to negotiate through these things is essential, and like you said - $50 mill - tied up because it's an advance to Rodgers (example), effects much more than just the football operations.

I doubt we'll see that change, unless their ventures outside Lambeau Field become so lucrative that they want to burn money, to avoid paying taxes out front.

This has to be the most unique team in terms of how they view ventures and expenditures. Good or bad, I can't say. I do remember when we had stock drives, and bought shares, to save the team, not to improve on facilities.

TT used to manage the cap like whatever we didn’t spend at the end of the year was his bonus.

I figure Rodgers to have everything, including opt-outs at his discretion. Especially if he doesn't like the direction the Packers are moving.

I figure Rodgers to have everything, including opt-outs at his discretion. Especially if he doesn't like the direction the Packers are moving.

He has nothing close to that kind of leverage now to force that concession and the Packers are not going to just hand it to him to be nice. I will personally show up at Lambeau with a pitchfork and torch if they hand out any cockamamie opt-out horse pucky (though I will harm no dogs).

Opt-out clause? Forget it. He’s starting to annoy me. $150-170 million not enough for him? Let him play out his next 2 years and franchise him. He has NO leverage in that type of negotiation.

They finally have a GM that’s busting his hump to get players signed and now Rodgers wants to send a message??? Is this his way of pouting about releasing Jordy?? Gute did go out and get 2 excellent TE’s and 3 BIG targets at WR PLUS a veteran OT. How about the Packers get an opt-out if he gets hurt again?!

He’s turning into a prima donna. RUN, DANICA, RUN!!!

tc(

Back