2024 Badger Football Thread

It's a whole new world
For some of these kids, it's an escape to a place where they can realize their dream of actually making it onto the field. It had to be frustrating for marginal players in college sports, realizing they were locked into a scholarship in a school that would probably never give them a shot at playing. For them, the portal is an amazing opportunity.

It's too bad that the NIL money has become so important. I look at kids like the Manning kid down here in Texas, and from information I've been told, the NCAA doesn't really know how much money this kid is making because he doesn't even know. Let's just say that by the time he gets out of college, he's going to have enough money in the bank that he's not going to have to work another day in his life.

I don't blame the kids.

Sometimes, for many reasons peoples talents and skills just aren't recognized. Sometimes, it's size or looks. Sometimes, the star is shining on somebody who got there earlier and you just don't get a chance.

When we all played sports, I think we would have left for money or a chance to play and showoff our abilities hoping for that chance at going pro.

I'm trying to accept it

Fall camp will decide the starting QB. I think Van Dyke has an uphill battle. He's going to have to spend a lot of time preparing if he wants to win that job.

I feel Van Dyke will start unless he's just horrible in fall camp. If Van Dyke isn't named the starter he'll leave the team immediately. He's not going to use his final year of eligibility to sit on the bench. If he leaves, the room looks really bare. You'd have Locke with 4-5 starts, Mettauer a true frosh, and LaCrue who's been injured and hasn't practiced much.

If things are even remotely close I believe Van Dyke gets the nod.

Fall camp will decide the starting QB. I think Van Dyke has an uphill battle. He's going to have to spend a lot of time preparing if he wants to win that job.
No, It's his job 100% based on everything coming out of practice. He would be getting drafted next week if he entered the draft. No one else on the bench has nearly that kind of experience.

I feel Van Dyke will start unless he's just horrible in fall camp. If Van Dyke isn't named the starter he'll leave the team immediately. He's not going to use his final year of eligibility to sit on the bench. If he leaves, the room looks really bare. You'd have Locke with 4-5 starts, Mettauer a true frosh, and LaCrue who's been injured and hasn't practiced much.

If things are even remotely close I believe Van Dyke gets the nod.
Agree UW not bringing him in to be a backup. Next year will be year when UW likely will open up job to other QB's on roster and not bring in another 1 year senior to start.

Regardless of what we want to believe, Fickell won't put Van Dyke in the lineup unless he feels he's the guy that can move the team. He's still learning, and that can be put to rest when they hit camp this fall. Being ready for the NFL doesn't necessarily make a person a perfect fit in college.

Mettauer never planned on playing this year. He's going to be a red-shirt. That was pretty much guaranteed coming in. Right now, they're working on his mechanics, and adjustment to the speed of the college game. It should be there after a year doing more observing than anything else. Crue will be #3. Mettauer would move up to #3 if any one of the three goes down.

That said, I doubt Locke would have a problem sitting, because he would know he's a shoe in next year, as a junior, for the job. That is, if Mettauer doesn't show up in spring ball looking like the next Russ Wilson.

I watched both Locke and Mettauer play high school ball, and both of them are darned good. Both are also quite adept at staying on their feet. So, it's going to be interesting seeing where these two take it in another year.

Personally, I would like to see Van Dyke win the job, because of his experience. I think Locke needs to work on his footwork, and release. He's sometimes a tad slow with the release because his feet are moving when they shouldn't be. From the clips I've seen so far from spring ball, he's already improved that area of his game quite a bit. He doesn't tap dance like he did last year. Of course that's practice, and definitely not the same as live action in a game. Sometimes, in games, a person reverts to bad habits because they don't have time to think about mechanics.

Back