2022 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • LaFleur says Christian Watson has been doing a great job of staying on WR coach Jason Vrable’s hip, asking a lot of questions. He reiterates that nothing can make up for actual physical reps but says the rookie is doing a great job staying up to speed.
Based on prior history, camp is effectively over for Watson. Once the preseason games start I think they begin to transition to more installs and regular season prep work. His chance to kinda stand out and get a foothold on reps is gone. Depending on how things go with the group it may be really tough for him to get any momentum towards playing time because he's always going to be trying to catch up.

Based on prior history, camp is effectively over for Watson. Once the preseason games start I think they begin to transition to more installs and regular season prep work. His chance to kinda stand out and get a foothold on reps is gone. Depending on how things go with the group it may be really tough for him to get any momentum towards playing time because he's always going to be trying to catch up.
All he's expected to do is go deep every play, run fast. Draw that safery up and let Cobb and Lazard get open underneath.

All he's expected to do is go deep every play, run fast. Draw that safery up and let Cobb and Lazard get open underneath.

I actually think they expected more than that. I know I did based on where he was drafted. You may be right though that this is all they can expect of him "now", especially if he misses a couple more weeks. Maybe you can get more than "deep and fast" out of him later in the season once he's healthy and has had more practice snaps, but if he misses most of the rest of camp, his snaps for the first half of the season are likely to be limited to just a very limited part of the route tree.

Respectfully disagree. You do not trade 2 second round picks if that's all you expect out of him.
His route running will improve in subsequent seasons. Hard working kid. Had to do the right thing with that knee.

It's like when Derrick Sherrod went down. Bakhtiari stepped up. Watson needs to get himself right, Doubs steps up.

Doubs was always gonna be more of a chess piece underneath. Seems like he might even contribute early. We'll see.

Guessing they will give Watson a limited role early on until he can be proficient enough to expand that role.
How long that takes is unknown for now, but I read an AR quote on Watson that he’s real smart and had a very high score on his Wonderlic test, and he’s hanging out in AR’s back pocket asking questions constantly.
So if his football IQ matches his intelligence acumen, maybe his contributions expand at an earlier time rather than a later time.

I know I’m nitpicking, but Bakhtiari replaced Bulaga when he blew his acl.

Yep Watson going to be nothing more then a number 5 for at least half the season as he tries to catch up

Oh boy..... "have a shot" isn't an overwhelming shot of confidence.
I think after Bak's screw up they are playing it safe. I could see Jenkins back soon as he was hurt in October. He even starts year on PUP only has to sit 4 games before he can play again.

Bak now I could see him missing most of the season again.

I think after Bak's screw up they are playing it safe. I could see Jenkins back soon as he was hurt in October. He even starts year on PUP only has to sit 4 games before he can play again.

I’m not making any predictions on the acl gang at this point

Long as we get Jenkins back. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back