2022 Badger Football Thread

Getting rid of the divisions is going to mean a lot of teams will lose support because they'll be out of the race for any significant awards early. At least, with the divisions they have, teams like Iowa can look to a possible Western Division championship and a chance to play in the conference championship game.

That doesn't sound important to teams like OSU, Michigan, and Penn State, but to the teams in the West, it's damned important.

If they eliminate divisions, it's to kiss the arses of the top 3 so they will quit whining about not getting to play in the championship, even if they believe they were better than a Western team.
I would debate it’s also important to Michigan and PSU. OSU, even if they lose 1 in conference play are still in the CFP discussion.

They still will play a “title” game I would assume, top 2 teams. Don’t know what the TV agreement is with Fox but doubt they would be happy losing a Sat Prime window.

The bigger question is will P5 conference go one extra conference game?

Getting rid of the divisions is going to mean a lot of teams will lose support because they'll be out of the race for any significant awards early. At least, with the divisions they have, teams like Iowa can look to a possible Western Division championship and a chance to play in the conference championship game.

That doesn't sound important to teams like OSU, Michigan, and Penn State, but to the teams in the West, it's damned important.

If they eliminate divisions, it's to kiss the arses of the top 3 so they will quit whining about not getting to play in the championship, even if they believe they were better than a Western team.
This actually brings up an interesting discussion about scheduling and more importantly a more balanced conference schedule. Schools that get 2 of the “Big 3” , OSU, UM, PSU especially on the road have a distinct disadvantage with current division set up.

Yes and no. Chances are everyone in the West will face at least one of the big 3, possibly 2. But, since they play 5 within their own group, they have a chance at making the playoffs, and not having it turn into the big 3 plus a bunch of losers.

Let's face it. If you give the big 3 the ball on this they will destroy the conference as it stands. Before you know it, teams in the West will begin to look for other pastures, because quite frankly, recruiting will dry up if you know you've never got a chance at getting the gold ring.

The reason Major League baseball moved to the system they have now is because the attendance and interest in baseball in cities that were pretty much eliminated by July 4th was nil. Their move improved the attendance, and I'd suspect the ratings on TV as well. More teams are in the hunt.

I remember back in the days when I could go to a Badgers game at Northwestern and there wouldn't be 1,000 people in the house. I also remember paying for tickets early in Badger seasons where the house was nearly full, and less than 10,000 near the end of the season.

Fans are fickle, and when their team is eliminated, they're out the door.

Yes and no. Chances are everyone in the West will face at least one of the big 3, possibly 2. But, since they play 5 within their own group, they have a chance at making the playoffs, and not having it turn into the big 3 plus a bunch of losers.

Let's face it. If you give the big 3 the ball on this they will destroy the conference as it stands. Before you know it, teams in the West will begin to look for other pastures, because quite frankly, recruiting will dry up if you know you've never got a chance at getting the gold ring.

The reason Major League baseball moved to the system they have now is because the attendance and interest in baseball in cities that were pretty much eliminated by July 4th was nil. Their move improved the attendance, and I'd suspect the ratings on TV as well. More teams are in the hunt.

I remember back in the days when I could go to a Badgers game at Northwestern and there wouldn't be 1,000 people in the house. I also remember paying for tickets early in Badger seasons where the house was nearly full, and less than 10,000 near the end of the season.

Fans are fickle, and when their team is eliminated, they're out the door.
Well MLB moved to that system not only because of attendance but it also opened up a new tier of playoffs for TBS / ESPN to bid on, same as the NFL.

And the chances of any team leaving the B1G or ACC is slim and none and I can give you $80m reasons why and ACC Grant in Rights effectively do the same thing.

Remember going to Indianapolis is no financial windfall for any school and attendance has been an ongoing issue. Iowa / Michigan set an attendance record but it did not sell out. I get what your say on game attendance but that’s a national issue and a whole separate issue

Well MLB moved to that system not only because of attendance but it also opened up a new tier of playoffs for TBS / ESPN to bid on, same as the NFL.

And the chances of any team leaving the B1G or ACC is slim and none and I can give you $80m reasons why and ACC Grant in Rights effectively do the same thing.

Remember going to Indianapolis is no financial windfall for any school and attendance has been an ongoing issue. Iowa / Michigan set an attendance record but it did not sell out. I get what your say on game attendance but that’s a national issue and a whole separate issue
Making it to Indy means an extra game, and a good recruiting tool. It tells prospects you're in it for the wins, not just showing up and going through the motions. The difference in how it's perceived by recruits is amazing.

Listen to the recruits going to Michigan, OSU, and PSU. Half of them say they're heading there because they recruit the best teams and give them a chance to show case their talent. It's in the words, just have to read between the lines. That's exactly why the Badgers have problems recruiting QBs. The perception that we don't throw the ball well. Then it effects recruiting WRs because the QBs can't throw the ball. A vicious cycle.

Making it to Indy means an extra game, and a good recruiting tool. It tells prospects you're in it for the wins, not just showing up and going through the motions. The difference in how it's perceived by recruits is amazing.

Listen to the recruits going to Michigan, OSU, and PSU. Half of them say they're heading there because they recruit the best teams and give them a chance to show case their talent. It's in the words, just have to read between the lines. That's exactly why the Badgers have problems recruiting QBs. The perception that we don't throw the ball well. Then it effects recruiting WRs because the QBs can't throw the ball. A vicious cycle.
Michigan and PSU have both went to the B1G Championship Game once, Iowa 2. Wisconsin? 6. Kids who get recruited to OSU are sold on making the CFP, Wisconsin it’s about a trip to Pasadena. Big difference.

Last edited:
Michigan and PSU have both went to the B1G Championship Game once,
And therein lies the reason they are hell bent on changing to a single format so they can get a clearer shot at getting there.

I understand their reasoning, but I can also understand the reasoning of half of the teams for openers, who can think of why it should stay like it is.

And therein lies the reason they are hell bent on changing to a single format so they can get a clearer shot at getting there.

I understand their reasoning, but I can also understand the reasoning of half of the teams for openers, who can think of why it should stay like it is.
Honestly a OSU v PSU matchup is more appealing to the networks than OSU vs Iowa or Northwestern. And with the B1G media rights currently being negotiated….well follow the money. Based on conference strength and how they balance schedules you can probably plug in OSU to the 1-2 slot each year.

Honestly i hate the division imbalance as it is now. MSU, PSU, UM & OSU are clearly the draws especially the latter 3.

Footnote to this. Now ACC joins PAC 12 in eliminating divisions

At the present time, with two divisions, the "big 3 or 4" in the Big 10 actually play each other every year because they play one game against each team in their division. If you do away with divisions, they won't have that luxury of "landmark games," either from a school or network perspective, because the rotation of opponents would eliminate anywhere from 2 to 4 of those games every year. So, the argument of creating "quality match ups" is absurd.

Now, if they said the wanted to maintain those rivalries, they've done nothing more than tell everyone it's nothing more than a glory grab, because they feel they have the right to "own it all."

If I was any school, outside of the top 4, I'd tell them to suck eggs. It's nothing more than a power grab.

There's nothing about the idea that's even logical.

Last edited:
Back