2021 Off Season Thread

Even at $190m there is no easy way for them. They need to make some cuts (my short list is Preston Smith, Rick Wagner and Dean Lowry, plus some guys down roster), and then re-work Z Smith, Amos and maybe Adams to get some extra space. They could cut Amos and get more space but I actually kinda like him and think he's worth keeping on. Changed my mind from earlier this year. He works well with Savage.

Even at $190m there is no easy way for them. They need to make some cuts (my short list is Preston Smith, Rick Wagner and Dean Lowry, plus some guys down roster), and then re-work Z Smith, Amos and maybe Adams to get some extra space. They could cut Amos and get more space but I actually kinda like him and think he's worth keeping on. Changed my mind from earlier this year. He works well with Savage.
If you are at 190 million you would need to clear about $15 million to get under the cap and have enough to sign draft picks. Cutting Kirksey, Wagner, Jackson, and lowery does that. You then have choices of cutting guys like Preston Smith or extending Adams to lower his cap number to get more cap space.

Cutting Burks, Funchess, Scott, and Preston Smith clears another $10 million not much but likely allows you to keep either Jones or Linsley.

Last edited:

OTC projects the cap at $176M, but I agree with pack that the cap won't go that low. Too many teams would be devastated with having to cut 1/3 or more of their rosters. It would further impair the quality of the game and it's already bordering on mediocre. Even KC shows to be near $20M in the red according to OTC.
$176M just can't happen.

But if the Packers want to make some significant cap moves, here's a few ideas:
Cut/Release:
P-Smith / $8M
Dean Lowry / $3.3M
Rick Wagner / $4.25M
Christian Kirksey / $5.6M
Josh Jackson / $1.33M
Restructure:

Z-Smith / Take $5M of his base salary or his roster bonus and convert to signing bonus to spread out over final 2 yrs of his contract. Save $2.5M
David Bakhtiari / He's due a 2021 roster bonus of $11.072M. Convert that to a signing bonus and spread out over the final 4 years of his contract. Save $8.3M
Davante Adams / Sign him to a contract extension this off season that gives the Packers a cap friendly 2021 number. Save ~$7.0M-7.5M

And I don't understand why MVS's contract shows he is to be paid $2.183M in 2021! Where does that come from? Did he hit some incentives benchmarks or something?

If they did all these they could shave around $40M off the 2021 cap.

Then there are other marginal guys that could be replaced with draft picks or udfa's and save some money.
Oren Burks
JK Scott
Hunter Bradley, to name just a few.

OTC projects the cap at $176M, but I agree with pack that the cap won't go that low. Too many teams would be devastated with having to cut 1/3 or more of their rosters. It would further impair the quality of the game and it's already bordering on mediocre. Even KC shows to be near $20M in the red according to OTC.
$176M just can't happen.

But if the Packers want to make some significant cap moves, here's a few ideas:
Cut/Release:
P-Smith / $8M
Dean Lowry / $3.3M
Rick Wagner / $4.25M
Christian Kirksey / $5.6M
Josh Jackson / $1.33M
Restructure:

Z-Smith / Take $5M of his base salary or his roster bonus and convert to signing bonus to spread out over final 2 yrs of his contract. Save $2.5M
David Bakhtiari / He's due a 2021 roster bonus of $11.072M. Convert that to a signing bonus and spread out over the final 4 years of his contract. Save $8.3M
Davante Adams / Sign him to a contract extension this off season that gives the Packers a cap friendly 2021 number. Save ~$7.0M-7.5M

And I don't understand why MVS's contract shows he is to be paid $2.183M in 2021! Where does that come from? Did he hit some incentives benchmarks or something?

If they did all these they could shave around $40M off the 2021 cap.

Then there are other marginal guys that could be replaced with draft picks or udfa's and save some money.
Oren Burks
JK Scott
Hunter Bradley, to name just a few.
According to Spotrac MVS should only have a cap number of $975K in 2021.

The Green Bay Packers signed LB Tipa Galeai (tee-puh nah-lee-eye), LB De'Jon Harris (DEE-jhan), G Zack Johnson, TE Isaac Nauta (NAW-tuh), DL Willington Previlon (PREV-ih-lahn), DL Anthony Rush, CB Stanford Samuels, RB Mike Weber, RB Dexter Williams and P Ryan Winslow. The transactions were announced Monday by General Manager Brian Gutekunst.

Back