2021 Off Season Thread

I probably missed the discussion on this in Shout, but saw Spotrac projects Davante Adams to get a contract that has AAV around $25M.
I have a hard time seeing GB justifying/paying that to him.

Between Rodgers and Adams, the best long term play might be:
1. Trade Rodgers for a 2022 1st and 3rd round pick
2. Franchise Adams and then trade him for a 1st and 2nd/3rd round pick.
3. Use those three 1st rounders, and four picks in 2nd/3rd rounds to build a team around whoever the new QB will be.

With a much deeper draft in 2022, this could be the opportunity to build a team that not only contends, but wins, multiple SB’s over the next 4-6 yrs.
I saw some say Adams will go for a contract that averages like Hopkins which is like $27 million a year. But like Pack says it's all about guaranteed money.

Agree.
But regardless of structure I struggle to see GB pay the kind of contract he will seek.
Thing is you need a WR for Love to throw to you can't say we don't want to pay that and have him throwing to 2nd and 3rd tier WR's.

I saw some say Adams will go for a contract that averages like Hopkins which is like $27 million a year. But like Pack says it's all about guaranteed money.
guarantee money and overall structure...guarantee $$$ at signing is key

It’s an option if they can make it fit under the cap.
Packers are going to have lots of guys gone as cap cuts in 2022 There should be room to fit Adams with the FT but he's a top 3 WR in the NFL you don't let that walk out the door you pay the man.

I would give Adams a 5 year 125 million deal with 60 guaranteed and 50 fully guaranteed. That would put him at top of the market money at WR.

Thing is you need a WR for Love to throw to you can't say we don't want to pay that and have him throwing to 2nd and 3rd tier WR's.
What runs through my mind was how well the team played when Adams has missed games over the last two seasons.
IIRC the Packers are undefeated without Adams in the lineup the last two seasons.
Using the draft capital to draft a new WR1 to replace Adams would be a priority, but pieces are in place to make it work.

I hate to say this, but with Rodgers gone next year, I'd trade Adams for draft choices. Add those to the picks for Rodgers, and you have a solid rebuild in motion.

I hate to say this, but with Rodgers gone next year, I'd trade Adams for draft choices. Add those to the picks for Rodgers, and you have a solid rebuild in motion.
Thing is if you do that you might as well go and trade or cut everyone making a large number on the team as you won't be winning for a while so there is no need to keep Z Smith, Clark. Cap wise you are stuck with Back and Jones for another year or two past this year.

Yep!
Like I said earlier, it could be very likely that GB could garnish 7 picks in the first 3 rounds with 3 of them being 1st round picks.

And with 2022 being a way deeper draft than 2021, it could pave the way for building a dominant team for several years to come.

Back