2021 Badgers Football Thread

I thought the Badgers defense played a disciplined game until they were exhausted. We just don't have the depth to keep fresh bodies out there constantly. Army scored twice because the Badgers were running on empty. They'd given a lot for three quarters. Is it conditioning? I don't think so. I believe they hit a wall because they'd never had to deal with this type of smash mouth 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense before. I was actually impressed at how well they played for 3 quarters.

On offense, I still like Braelon Allen. I don't care if it's as an RB, linebacker, or DB. He is just plain athletic. He also saw the field better yesterday, and read the mistakes on the back side that Army made. I liked that. He was also slower in making his reads, not overreacting early, like he had been in the past.

Mertz is Mertz. At this point, I'd be looking at someone coming in through the portal to take over next year, if they can be found. He isn't anywhere near where he needs to be to make the Badgers a threat. The faith I had in him developing has pretty much disappeared. He nearly blew that one big run he made by sliding down early. It's a good thing the officials gave him a favorable spot or it would have ended up with us having a 4th down, and he had plenty of room left to scramble. He just doesn't seem to have that little bit extra between the ears to make him special.

I'm not going to condemn our offensive line. I think they're getting better every game. I think they relied too much on inexperienced players at the start, to make an impact, and it backfired, as it probably should have. They're improving, but nowhere near where they need to be to play against the schedule the Badgers have ahead.

Stars yesterday? Allen on offense, and I gotta go with Herbig and Sanborn on defense.

Anyhow, just my opinion.

All I know right now Allen needs to be the feature back. Mellusi is just not a starter. That's why he left Clemson because he was not going to be the starter there.
Not sure. Allen makes the majority of his yds on physical strength. He’s still impatient and not sure his pass pro.

Braelon Allen could be a future star, however, he's 17 and really should still be in HS. Wanna ruin a kid play him too hard too early. This goes back to the program in itself folks. Should not be in a position that he needs to carry the ball 20 times a game.

Allen also tends to run upright and not use his pads, it'll come with time but he was supposed to be an ILB, not a RB. Again very telling.

He should not have bee playing yet, in my opinion. When he's the best, you have a problem.

But, since he is, you make the best of it.

I thought the Badgers defense played a disciplined game until they were exhausted. We just don't have the depth to keep fresh bodies out there constantly. Army scored twice because the Badgers were running on empty. They'd given a lot for three quarters. Is it conditioning? I don't think so. I believe they hit a wall because they'd never had to deal with this type of smash mouth 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense before. I was actually impressed at how well they played for 3 quarters.
That's a good take TW. As Mark alluded to in the shout, Army, Navy, Air Force, Quantico Marines usually do this to a lot of teams. That's just what they do. Wear you down and hopefully overtake you in the 4th. UW did a nice job getting the win.

(I threw the Quantico Marines in there as a nod because I knew you would know who they were!)

Reactions: TW
(I threw the Quantico Marines in there as a nod because I knew you would know who they were!)

It's been a while. They quit back in the 60s or 70s? Devil Dogs.

Isn't a big reason Bucky's defense gets gassed is because the offense does so very little most of the game? Really, what did it do 2d half against Army?

Reactions: TW
Nice win against Purdue. OL is still a work in progress. Some better moments surrounded by a number of "Ugh" plays. Still, a solid win against a solid team.

The only thing that was annoying is the complete lack of a functional passing game. Might as well put a billboard on your side of the field saying - "good receivers and QBs, stay away". Maybe the worst passing offense at UW since the Tyler Donovan days. Nothing against Tyler, but he was more of a running threat than a passer.

So, is it time for us to start praying that Mertz decides to exit through the portal? I still believe that's a distinct possibility.

So, is it time for us to start praying that Mertz decides to exit through the portal? I still believe that's a distinct possibility.
Were would he go? With how poor he's played he won't get a power 5 offer anywere. His value is so low he would have to go to a very low teir level 1 school at best.

Back