2019 Camp Update: July 28 Day 4

Well and as we know ML likes to use RB's and TE's in the passing game. Will we keep 6 WR's? I think it might be 5. That could leave Moore outside looking in since he has not shown anything on ST's.

I think it's gotta be 6. Adams, Allison, MVS, EQ, Davis (for ST) and likely (maybe?) Kumerow. Ya know what, it's so early though, sucks to say it but injury tends to sort out these back-end logjams.

Well and as we know ML likes to use RB's and TE's in the passing game. Will we keep 6 WR's? I think it might be 5. That could leave Moore outside looking in since he has not shown anything on ST's.

I think Trevor Davis is making a legit push for a spot as well, and you may be right about keeping only 5 WR’s.
The Skill Positions could be:
4 - RB’s
1 - FB
4 - TE’s
5 - WR’s

If that’s how it shakes out, it may end up looking like:
1. Adams
2. MVS
3. Allison
4. EQ
5. Kumerow or Davis

There’s a lot of unproven talent at WR, but it talent nonetheless.

That would be a lot of RB's though. Especially, keeping Vitale at FB. They may go RB-3 and FB-1. Then they can keep 6 WR's.

I think it's gotta be 6. Adams, Allison, MVS, EQ, Davis (for ST) and likely (maybe?) Kumerow. Ya know what, it's so early though, sucks to say it but injury tends to sort out these back-end logjams.

I could easily see 6 as well.

I just based my opinion on this being an ML offense and not an MM offense that tended to be pass heavy and therefore a need to keep 6-7 WR’s.

ML’s offense, supposedly, will be much more balanced and that’s why I see 5 WR’s and 5 (total) RB/FB’s.

Add in that the RB/FB group will be much more involved in the passing game, and you can see where I’m coming from.

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out!

Yes, small sample size but ML I believe was bottom 10 or even bottom 5 last year in frequency of using 3+WR.

Yes, small sample size but ML I believe was bottom 10 or even bottom 5 last year in frequency of using 3+WR.

ML lost his Swiss Army knife player TE Walker very early (first game?).

It forced him to change what he wanted to do.

The number of WRs may well depend on how things shake out for special teams.

Trevor Davis may be doing better from the LOS in camp, but history suggests that he's more of a special teamer than anything. I think Adams, Allison, MVS, and EQ are all ahead of him. I suspect that if Kumerow stays healthy he will also be ahead of Davis. So, to me that's the 5 I'd keep, but if these guys can't pick up the slack on special teams then they may have to keep 6.

Both are doable depending on how things shake out at RB and QB. They may be happy with only 3xRB or 2xQB. It's also possible they keep only 8xOL. They generally only have 8 active on game day so might try to sneak a guy or two on the PS. Maybe they go with McCray, Jenkins, and Spriggs? as the back-ups and try to put Madison on the practice squad. (Light and Nijman are a couple of other candidates as well.) Too early to know though. We'll know more about what we've got at OL after a couple of pre-season games.

The new running back they signed, Corey Grant, is supposed to be an excellent kick returner. If he can also return punts, that may make the case for keeping 4 RB's and just 5 WR's.

Like I said earlier, this will be one of the more interesting camp competitions/storylines to be watching.

Back