2019 Camp Update: July 28 Day 4

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Not Practicing: S Darnell Savage (Wisdom Tooth Recovery-NFI), RB Darrin Hall
Injuries: Matt LaFleur (Achilles-pretty serious), K Mason Crosby (Calf-not serious-NFI), CB Josh Jackson (Foot-not serious-NFI), LB Kendall Donnerson (Hamstring), DL Fadol Brown (Calf), RB Jamaal Williams(Hamstring), OL Jason Spriggs (Trapezius), LB Greg Roberts (PUP)
Offense:
  • It’s still very early, but based on the reps so far in camp it’s pretty clear Tonyan is your TE2.
  • Alex Light gets praise from the coach after some o-line drills. McCray gets coached to be faster with his hands. David Bakhtiari giving some instruction to young Yosh Nijman.
  • Aaron Jones wants to be an asset in the passing game, just spent a good portion of time observing Davante Adams and Marquez Valdes-Scantling with WR coach Alvis Whitted.
  • Davante Adams demonstrating and putting on a short clinic for the younger receivers on how to run routes. It’s been very apparent that Davante and Bakhtiari have taken on increased leadership roles with the team.
  • Jake Kumerow with a fantastic route against Tony Brown who had good coverage but the route was better.
  • Trevor Davis smokes Javien Hamilton.
  • Teo Redding with a huge deep ball over Nydair Rouse.
  • J’Mon beautiful route; couldn’t get 2nd foot in.
  • Geronimo beats Raven Greene easily.
  • EQ with a great route against Jaire for a completion on a slant.
  • Jawill Davis over Rouse, strong catch.
  • Shepherd wins his route for a catch.
  • Trevor Davis sweet route vs. Tony Brown.
  • MVS powers through Hollman who falls down and MVS picks up the easy completion.
  • Pass a bit behind J’Mon who can’t hold on.
  • Rough couple of reps in pass pro drill from Corey Grant.
  • Play action pass, Adams smokes and I mean smokes Jaire inside, big play. Adams is without description.
  • Adams beat Tramon. (And everyone else.)
  • Best run play yet. Dexter Williams with a big run outside. Corey Linsley leading the way.
  • Trevor Davis wins deep, Kizer can’t hit him. Gary with the pressure.
  • Manny Wilkins beautiful progression throw to guess who... Trevor Davis.
  • Alex Light & Adam Pankey get second team looks at LT & RT
  • Sweep left with David Bakhtiari lead blocking for Aaron Jones. Nice gain.
  • Montravius Adams with some penetration but Rodgers hits Vitale on a little wheel up field. Good for 20 yards. beat Burks, back shoulder throw.
  • Dexter Williams really showing some patience as a runner. Great job following his blockers a good 10 yards downfield on the perimeter.
  • Nice rep by Alex Light vs Preston.
  • Cole Madison owns Lancaster in two 1x1’s. Lancaster not exactly known for his pass rush.
  • Tim Boyle with the dime of the day in 7-on-7, hitting Adams on a deep out despite blanket coverage from Tramon & Tony Brown.
  • Light beats Ramsey.
  • Beautiful run by Aaron Jones to start team. Running behind Lane Taylor.
  • Fake jet sweep to Davante who then comes open but Rodgers and Adams just a little off and Tae can’t haul in the 1 handed catch.
  • Nice play concept to get A Jones left alone for an easy completion.
  • Boyle gets 2nd team reps this time. Nice throw to Baylis who can’t make a sliding catch, tad behind but the only place the ball could be placed.
  • Boyle & the offense not on the same page. Coaches frustratingly call for the offense to rehuddle.
  • Jet sweep by Shep, good block by Stern.
  • Kizer complete to a wide open Darrius Shepherd. About 10 yard pickup.
  • Nice cut by Aaron Jones.
  • Offense not on the same page again timeout by Aaron Rodgers to regroup.
  • Play action pass, Rodgers to Davante for a real nice pickup. Jaire in coverage. Jaire getting his full fill of Davante today. MVS drew coverage deep. Get used to that. \
  • Aaron Rodgers just dropped a perfect sideline fade right on Jake Kumerow for a 30-yard gain. Sick, sick catch by Kumerow downfield from 12. Perfect coverage by Hollman, just a great play from Kumerow.
  • Corey Grant with a cut and gone. So ridiculously fast.
  • In team drill, guard Billy Turner put a walloping trap block on OLB Preston Smith to open up a big hole for Aaron Jones.
  • Great coverage but o-line does work, Rodgers steps up and finds a wide open Davante downfield. Initial win by defense but off script Rodrers wins that rep.
  • Kenny Clark likely had a sack but Rodgers throws a 50/50 ball to Adams who is absolutely blanketed by Hollman but it matters not because Adams is Adams and he skus for the ball and a huge catch to the delight of the fans.
  • Gary with a speed rush outside but Pankey does a nice job working him around the quarterback and Kizer’s able to step up for the completion to Shep.
  • Danny Vitale has been getting a lot of shotgun lone setback looks with the ones.
Defense:
  • First Team D: Lowry, Clark, Adams, Z. Smith, P. Smith, Martinez, Burks, Alexander, King, Amos, Greene. Williams as nickel corner.
  • Hamilton blanket coverage on Lazard deep.
  • Jaire blanket coverage on MVS deep.
  • Kevin King wins an awesome battle w/ Kumerow for a pbu. Stayed with Kumerow on a double move, faking the fade and going to a dig. King broke up the pass.
  • Toss to Jones. Kenny Clark stuffs it.
  • Oren Burks with a strong run fit. No gain for Jones. This front for Green Bay is going to be tough to run on.
  • Darius Shepherd jet sweep, Chandon Sullivan continues his strong play and is there for the stop.
  • Ty Summers nice run stop.
  • Tony Brown is having a solid start to camp. He’s sticky as hell and keeps breaking things up. Tony Brown comes back to break up nice pass from Boyle intended for Davis.
  • Adams smokes Jenkins in 1x1s. Better 2nd rep from Jenkins.
  • Lowry good rep vs McCray. Good strength and hand usage.
  • Fackrell gets around de Beer.
  • Gilbert beats Bulaga.
  • Za’Darius with an easy win vs Turner.
  • Good reps by Sagapulu and Looney.
  • Rashan Gary really impressed in one-on-one drill. Beat tackle Yosh Nijman with a speed move outside, then beat LG Lane Taylor with a power move inside. Nijman won the second rep though.
  • Really nice job setting the edge by Preston Smith, something that showed up frequently on tape.
  • In 11-on-11, Rashan Gary just came free on an inside stunt and, I kid you not, I haven’t seen a guy that big run that fast since Julius Peppers. Shot from a cannon. Would have been an easy sack. My goodness.
  • Fackrell with a “sack” of Boyle who throws anyway and shows off the arm on a deep comeback to that man Trevor Davis, complete over Redmond
  • Packers again mixed in some 3 OLB defensive front in the nickel. With Gary and the Smiths, not to forget Fackrell, could be a popular package. Lots of athleticism on the line when they go to that look.
  • Good coverage by Mike Tyson on Dexter in the flat. Kizer throws it as his feet.
  • Boyle gets hit in the pocket. I think it was Keke who powered his offensive lineman into Boyle. Boyle throws it away.
  • Rookie CB Ka’Dar Hollman getting some first-team reps.
  • Fantastic coverage again. This time Preston Smith has him for a sack!
  • This time Gary bends around Alex Light easily for a pressure but Kizer gets rid of the ball.
  • Reggie Gilbert bends around the edge for an easy sack of Wilkins. I believe de Beer was the OT.
  • Ramsey comes free on a stunt.
Special Teams:
  • 15 minutes before practice, Trevor Davis is out catching punts. The only person out on the field practicing. He’s done this all four days so far.
  • Curtis Bolton, Tre Carson, Oren Burks, and Ty Summers out early getting some special teams instruction. Malcolm Johnson working the blocking sled. Darrius Shepherd & Malik Taylor getting some tips from coaches. Guys are here and they want to work. This is a hungry team.
  • Non-shooting period, but I think this is the first time I’ve seen the Packers use volleyballs in drills. Looks like they’re simulating a FG block, based on the drill and the guys they have slapping the volleyballs.
Media:
Jaire might be the Pied Piper...without any of the bad connotations.
Rodgers throwing some warm-up passes to Kumerow.
Vitale on a blocking drill
Aaron Rodgers is liking this bicep flex celebration.
Potato cam of Tae smoking Josh Jones.
Trevor Davis keeps his feet in.
Practice has ended at: 12:05 PM 1 Hrs 50 Min
Next event is: Training Camp Tuesday (7/30) at 10:15 AM
Press Conference Notes:
  • According to HC Matt LaFleur, the Packers made it out of their first fully padded practice with no new injuries on the field.
  • Matt LaFleur on Jake Kumerow: “Jake is a consistent guy who’s extremely reliable, and you can trust he’ll be where he’s supposed to be in the timing of the play.”
  • Matt LaFleur on Rashan Gary: “What I really like is the effort that he plays with. A change of speed, a burst to max speed, then the finish.”

I keep seeing good things about Kumerow. Every once in a while a guy comes along who may not have the creds that say he's going to be special, yet there he is, game after game, working to get better, until people finally see what was there.

Bakhtiari is an example. So were Driver and Jordy Nelson.

I see that potential in Jake. Like I've said, since I saw him run routes, he gets where he's supposed to be and that creates trust with a QB.

I hope he has the tools to make this team because he could be pretty darned good with just a little more game time.

I keep seeing good things about Kumerow. Every once in a while a guy comes along who may not have the creds that say he's going to be special, yet there he is, game after game, working to get better, until people finally see what was there.

Bakhtiari is an example. So were Driver and Jordy Nelson.

I see that potential in Jake. Like I've said, since I saw him run routes, he gets where he's supposed to be and that creates trust with a QB.

I hope he has the tools to make this team because he could be pretty darned good with just a little more game time.
I think he will likely make team but still not see field much will be a lot of ST. I think he will go into season as the number 5/6 guy with Adams, Allison, MVS, ST Brown ahead.

With how ML uses different WR's and TE's and moves them around, I am not sure it really matters who are 3 and 4 are at WR. Right now it looks like MVS in #2 but we will see how that plays out.

I thought Kumerow could get cut after training camp due to being age 27 and having more competition but he is showing he may belong. I think right now Moore should be really worried.

With how ML uses different WR's and TE's and moves them around, I am not sure it really matters who are 3 and 4 are at WR. Right now it looks like MVS in #2 but we will see how that plays out.

I thought Kumerow could get cut after training camp due to being age 27 and having more competition but he is showing he may belong. I think right now Moore should be really worried.

Yeah ML seems to be using MVS on the deep clear out routes, opening stuff up underneath for Adams and the RBs. As a size speed guy he's well suited to the role, I imagine EQ could have a similar role.

I agree with you on Kumerow, I don't know what they do there. On the one hand as you said, he's 27, he's never stayed healthy, we have a number of unproven but also young and talented WR, and he's not a big ST contributor. On the other hand, how do you release a guy who just keeps making plays and has the legit trust of QB1?

this was the most detailed coverage i've seen yet. thank you, mark.

i keep seeing encouraging things about gary, which gives me hope that this was a much better pick than originally thought. i'm a little discouraged that savage has still not recovered from the wisdom teeth extraction. i'm not sure if this is normal or not, but if it is normal, you would think he could have done it earlier in the dead period before training camp.

the fact that j'mon was a draft pick may be the only thing that saves him from being cut. he keeps showing intermittent flashes, followed by not-so-good plays. right now i have the receivers ranked as 1) adams, 2) allison, 3) mvs, 4) kumerow. after that, i'm not so sure. it sure seems like davis is making a strong push to make the final cut.

Well and as we know ML likes to use RB's and TE's in the passing game. Will we keep 6 WR's? I think it might be 5. That could leave Moore outside looking in since he has not shown anything on ST's.

this was the most detailed coverage i've seen yet. thank you, mark.

i keep seeing encouraging things about gary, which gives me hope that this was a much better pick than originally thought. i'm a little discouraged that savage has still not recovered from the wisdom teeth extraction. i'm not sure if this is normal or not, but if it is normal, you would think he could have done it earlier in the dead period before training camp.

the fact that j'mon was a draft pick may be the only thing that saves him from being cut. he keeps showing intermittent flashes, followed by not-so-good plays. right now i have the receivers ranked as 1) adams, 2) allison, 3) mvs, 4) kumerow. after that, i'm not so sure. it sure seems like davis is making a strong push to make the final cut.

When my daughter had her wisdom teeth removed (age 20), she developed a “dry socket “ and had to go on antibiotics for 7-10 days. She was miserable for nearly a week.

Not saying that’s the case with Savage, but I’m speculating.

Back