12 team college football playoff

I highly doubt they get to 16 or 17 games. University presidents will die on that sword. Also as much as many hate the mid tier bowls they won’t go away, they make ESPN and the conferences money

So the new format…
  • 12 teams will give out 4 bye games to top 4 seeds so that gives 4 extra games
  • So you need 7 sites to make it work with current bowl set up
  • Rose, Orange , Cotton, Fiesta, Sugar , Peach.
  • Last would possibly be 1 seed gets on campus or add in Tampa (formally Outback) and.
  • Title Game and Semi’s would rotate on current format
So you pretty much going to eliminate Conf champ bowl tie in's to set up CFP. Unless you give say the Big Ten winner would play rose bowl as part of the CFP playoff game. If not then the 2nd place Big Ten team if not a at large will likely get what the Cap one Bowl because good chance the New Years 6 bowls become CFP game bowls.

4 bye games cuts the field to 8, not 4. The second round is another round of 8 teams, so 4 games. With 4 teams left, you have 2 games. With 2 left, you have 1 game.

The season, as it exists, is now 12 games. If you go through the playoffs, that's 4 additional games. That's a 16 game season. Simple math, not a point that's arguable. At the present time, with Bowl games, a lot of the teams already play 13.

The time will come that they will add another regular season game, count on it. Anything that generates more money. It's what it is.

And by the way, it's not 4 extra games for playoff contenders, it's 8. Math is math.
Sure if your a top 4 seed it’s basically 1 extra games not 2. Bottom 8 seeds play basically a play in round and quarter final round.

Right now the big discussion in the SEC is playing 8 or 9 conference games. That said ESPN had a sweetheart of a deal with the original package at $470m per year. Next deal probably brings $2m per year

I find it difficult to believe that conferences will give up their in-conference games for the playoffs when that's money they don't have to share.

So you pretty much going to eliminate Conf champ bowl tie in's to set up CFP. Unless you give say the Big Ten winner would play rose bowl as part of the CFP playoff game. If not then the 2nd place Big Ten team if not a at large will likely get what the Cap one Bowl because good chance the New Years 6 bowls become CFP game bowls.
They are basically eliminated already. If OSU wins the B1G good chance they make CFP not the Rose.

I find it difficult to believe that conferences will give up their in-conference games for the playoffs when that's money they don't have to share.
The SEC would eliminate 1 NC game if it went to 9 conference games. The challenge is keeping rivalries intact so example, Georgia would play Auburn, Florida, Tennessee each year and rotate the other 6.

They are basically eliminated already. If OSU wins the B1G good chance they make CFP not the Rose.
Saying though when the go to 12 teams does the Rose Bowl become a permant CFP game and if that's the case they do you just but the Big Ten winner and Pac 12 winner into the Rose Bowl CFP game?

Saying though when the go to 12 teams does the Rose Bowl become a permant CFP game and if that's the case they do you just but the Big Ten winner and Pac 12 winner into the Rose Bowl CFP game?
No teams will be seeded like basketball. Rose is a NY6 games so it currently rotates in for semi’s and finals. In a 12 team format is probably going to be at worst a quarter final or 1st round site

No teams will be seeded like basketball. Rose is a NY6 games so it currently rotates in for semi’s and finals. In a 12 team format is probably going to be at worst a quarter final or 1st round site
So WI fans will be upset because unless they finish in top 12 no chance to ever play in the Rose Bowl anymore. That always seemed WI fans goal get to the Rose Bowl.

So WI fans will be upset because unless they finish in top 12 no chance to ever play in the Rose Bowl anymore. That always seemed WI fans goal get to the Rose Bowl.
Well not all fans. There is a good number that would gladly travel to Miami or Phoenix for a NY6 game and not Pasadena. I get the tradition and all but UW played TCU in the Rose so there’s that also.

Until I see conference giving up their cash cows, I won't believe a word of it. I think they'll try to add money to the pot by adding venue games, beyond NY6. But, we all have to believe what we believe.

Back