12 team college football playoff

TW

Reaction score
It wasn't that long ago, some of us were talking about a format that would include 12 teams playing for the national championship. It seems some people believed it would never happen.

Guess what? Enough said!

Personally not a fan, but until it's someone other than Alabama/Georgia/Ohio State/Clemson in the final four I don't think it matters.

I promise to:

1. Keep running my 16 team bracket

and

2. Actually do it this year

The irony of it all was the so called “Alliance” killed the original playoff expansion about a year ago and also to “do something “ when the SEC expanded.

Now fast forward, B1G gets UCLA & USC, a monster TV deal, Big 12 gets a new commissioner and like magic we have a 12 team playoff and yes it starts in during the same timeframe as the CFP TV deal expires. Yes ironic

Follow the money

Follow the money! Exactly! That's the reason it's 12. More games to fill the bank accounts.

As of now ESPN controls the CFP from a media perspective but you can bet the ranch FOX will want a piece of the pie. Yep 12 teams means a couple more games but that’s chump change compared to 2 networks bidding for a place at the table. The B1G media deal was a poster child for that.

I count 6 more games, and will millions at stake, the conferences involved will share quite a bit of money. I doubt very much that they will surrender any regular season games in the process. Eventually they'll end up with teams playing up to 16 games a year, maybe 17, if they go all the way.

I count 6 more games, and will millions at stake, the conferences involved will share quite a bit of money. I doubt very much that they will surrender any regular season games in the process. Eventually they'll end up with teams playing up to 16 games a year, maybe 17, if they go all the way.
I highly doubt they get to 16 or 17 games. University presidents will die on that sword. Also as much as many hate the mid tier bowls they won’t go away, they make ESPN and the conferences money

So the new format…
  • 12 teams will give out 4 bye games to top 4 seeds so that gives 4 extra games
  • So you need 7 sites to make it work with current bowl set up
  • Rose, Orange , Cotton, Fiesta, Sugar , Peach.
  • Last would possibly be 1 seed gets on campus or add in Tampa (formally Outback) and.
  • Title Game and Semi’s would rotate on current format

4 bye games cuts the field to 8, not 4. The second round is another round of 8 teams, so 4 games. With 4 teams left, you have 2 games. With 2 left, you have 1 game.

The season, as it exists, is now 12 games. If you go through the playoffs, that's 4 additional games. That's a 16 game season. Simple math, not a point that's arguable. At the present time, with Bowl games, a lot of the teams already play 13.

The time will come that they will add another regular season game, count on it. Anything that generates more money. It's what it is.

And by the way, it's not 4 extra games for playoff contenders, it's 8. Math is math.

Back