Wishful Thinking?

I wish they were interested in moving him. It's time to find someone who isn't afraid to run into traffic. Cobb has lost that desire, not that I blame him. You do it when you're in your first contract to get a big second contract. After that it's; "Not me Bro!"

Can't have only Adams as the vet on your team Allison is what a 2nd year guy for most part Davis the same plus he never plays WR really and rookies you need some vets leading the team.

I find it very hard to believe Cobb is movable at the moment. 1.) $10m is a lot of money for any team to pay for a non-primary receiver (plus trade compensation on their end) and 2.) I believe the Packers would still eat something like $3m in dead money if they move him - how much higher would compensation have to be in order to make eating that much money palatable?

So you see, his salary puts pressure on a potential acquiring team to lower compensation, while the cap hit puts pressure on GB to seek more. Unlikely there is a middle ground there.

Yup, agree GBP. The Packers put themselves in this spot. While I think Cobb is way overpaid for production, they are stuck right now because the roster is loaded with guys who haven't shown anything to make you think they are any better than Cobb.

They "missed" on Montgomery in terms of him being a WR, and other than that have just stocked the position with late round draft picks and UDFAs. None of them has really worked out. If Monty (or Davis) had worked out as a slot guy then I think Cobb would be gone already but I don't think you can go into a season with Adams and 5 other guys who have less than 50 career catches between the bunch of them.

we've been saying for years that aaron rodgers can make almost any receiver look better than they are. this will be the season where he really has to work hard to prove that. adams would not be a #1 receiver on any other team imho. cobb is definetly not a $10 million receiver. allison is like a fourth receiver on most teams. everyone else is rookies. thank goodness we have graham and lewis.

With his limitations, Allison is definitely not a #1 or #2 WR. But he has shown the ability to break off routes and get open when a play breaks down, much like Cobb has done over the years.
I don’t think GB views Graham as strictly a TE, but rather a TE/WR hybrid.
When we start talking about lack of veteran presence in the WR group, I think you have to include Graham and Lewis in that conversation because they will play a large role in the passing game.
Not saying this means that Cobb is expendable at this point, just saying that the conversation isn’t over yet.

While I agree that Graham and Lewis, more so Graham are viewed as a hybrid type, thats fine and good in the red zone and as possession type guys they don't have the top end speed to flip a defense. For that matter I am not sure anyone on this team that is dependable does. Did Nelson? Maybe he lost a step but he had that threat. Its one reason I am not as optomistic as some about this offense / team. Sure Kumerow seems to look the part but can he or for that matter get separation once teams stat disgusing coverages can he or the other kids contribute?

Graham doesn’t have the speed (anymore) to do that either. But his catch radius is second to none practically, and Cobb has no speed anymore either.
The speed at WR is rookie and unproven (Davis falls into the unproven category as well).
Passing game may need some creativity from Philbin and position coaches if they hope to be what they have hyped themselves to be this year.

Speed is amazing in the NFL. The game is so fast it's mind-boggling. Then time and hits add up, and that guy who was turning on the jets and making everyone else look like they were trying to wade through quick sand slow down, and defenses start hitting them on every play, before they can get to speed, to force their game to change. It does happen to them, and even though they're faster than most, the bridge between the two has dropped considerably.

The reason Megatron was so good in Detroit was speed and size. Strangely enough, as the speed slowed, he became a better receiver. He began to realize he had to have more precise routs, needed to read defenders better, to insure he was on the same page as his QB, and he played with a different type of intensity. That was when he became the best receiver he could be, and quite possibly the best in the NFL, during his period of time in uniform.

I'll take the guy has slowed over the fast guy, if he's learned the game the way it should be played. That said, you need one or two "fleas" who can run that sideline so fast that it scares the bejeebers out of defensive coordinators and the guys who know they have to play him front and back, as well as stop him from coming free if he breaks that route to the middle. These guys can be the scariest, but for the money throw, I go to the Nelson types. They rarely disappoint. I hope, for the team's sake, someone becomes the new Nelson. I'm not convinced they have that guy on the roster, and won't be, until someone steps up and proves they are in consecutive games.

Back