Wishful Thinking?

Terranimal

Reaction score
Not usually the glass is half full as those around me for years know. So these thoughts might surprise some.

I don't think we have seen our real D and O. Basis for this is off comments made both MM and Petine in off season and personel moves by Gutey.

Petine thru different things read about him and his own comments seems to be the type that allows players to play to their strength and not make them be round pegs in a square hole. Saw some this with how Jackson played this week. Defense has seem vanilla imo thus far. Also think players like Dix are holding back a bit til season starts....again glass half full is the hope here. If wrong could be another long season for the D.

On Offense much like d dont think have seen true O. And speaking of Special K made team and can see him being #2 Wr quickly opening the possible and may shock ppl, possibly trade of Cobb. Fact they haven't worked much on run game doesn't surprise me seeing how pass pro is harder for most OL then run.

Speaking of pass game no doubt will be heavy on use of TEs. So staying with lot above, could see our 4 wides being Adams, SpecialK, Lewis and Graham. In this lot Allison would be the #3 WR.

As for our rookie WRs, think too much expected right away by fans. I remember back when teams had the true WCO no rook had great rook seasons and it was the lot that it took til season 2 to for them to start making an impact. This included the great Jerry Rice back in the day. They obviously can't keep them all or stash all on PS, but also too early to say they all suck also.

Now to Gutey. Could be wrong but don't feel he's done making moves yet. He might just pull a big move off to help the D pass rush...a lot of traction out there on possible trade with Oakland. He needs an impact player either for Safety or for pass rush or both, but can't see both unless lucky after cuts. OL has to be a concern as well especially at OT where back ups are scary and questions on health at both starters. But good OTs are hard to come by and dont come cheep so unless a stop gap we might have to pray a lot that both stay healthy.

Back to Cobb possible trade. He might be the one tradeable commodity to use to get an impact defensive player. Wild thought IK...but still throwing it out there.

Ok feel free to fire away :)

Pettine is certainly playing things very close to the vest in exhibition games, but I will say it doesn't look great that they've been pushed around some when just playing basic concepts. I'm just talking in man-on-man situations, they lose. That's not at all to say that Pettine can't scheme them into good looks and productivity and cohesion because that's part of the job, but it's disappointing to me because it has been a long, long time since GB has had a D that could line up in base and just win.

Mack won’t leave Oakland, too many moving parts. As to Cobb who wants his cap number on their books. What may happen is an outright release or salary cut

I don't think we have seen our real D and O. Basis for this is off comments made both MM and Petine in off season and personel moves by Gutey.

Sure you have..you've seen base for 2 weeks straight. Pettine isn't that hard to read, he wants to play over or off man as much as he can while bringing pressure with his front 7. The problem is you need all 3 corners playing cover 1 without mistakes every down. Further your safeties have to be disciplined and everyone has to tackle well or it's big play city. Saw this in Buffalo when he was the DC. Do they have all the horses to pull it off ? Yet to be seen.

The offense isn't changing ...MM still has the playsheet and Aaron still checks out of whatever he wants. All the "new OC" we changed this or that was pure PR bullshit to shut down the crowd. I'll put $ on them running the same 3 spread looks..2/3 TE formation and that goofy run formation week one.

Oh and by the way Gutey doesn't have final say Murphy does and that says a lot about a lot in GB right now.

Last edited:
Mack won’t leave Oakland, too many moving parts. As to Cobb who wants his cap number on their books. What may happen is an outright release or salary cut

Agree on Cobb his salary equal to his production makes him untradable

Sure you have..you've seen base for 2 weeks straight. Pettine isn't that hard to read, he wants to play over or off man as much as he can while bringing pressure with his front 7. The problem is you need all 3 corners playing cover 1 without mistakes every down. Further your safeties have to be disciplined and everyone has to tackle well or it's big play city. Saw this in Buffalo when he was the DC. Do they have all the horses to pull it off ? Yet to be seen.

Agree, the one odd ball look we have seen was the 52 eagle in the first game and then the offense spread then a part and shredded them. In game 2 it was base with off man that helped a ton in the pass but they were torn to bits with inside/outside zone because our LB aern't athletic enough to contain. Point being what Pettine wants to do and what he can do with this group of personal are very different. I think RP said it here early, they'll need 2 off seasons to fix this defense.

Agreed that it will take two off seasons to fix. Those two first round picks are looking very good next year, especially if our two CB's pan out as well as King. We could go OLB and Safety in the first round or trade up for a big impact player. We shall see but I think so far Gute is on the right track.

Wow lucky guess or what? On another site and.multiple sources Pack are trying to trade Cobb

Wow lucky guess or what? On another site and.multiple sources Pack are trying to trade Cobb
That rumor was fake. Teams are calling on Cobb but Packers are not interested in moving him.

I wish they were interested in moving him. It's time to find someone who isn't afraid to run into traffic. Cobb has lost that desire, not that I blame him. You do it when you're in your first contract to get a big second contract. After that it's; "Not me Bro!"

Back