Wisconsin Football: More targets coming to Madison in second wave of visits

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The Wisconsin football team kicked off the ending of the year-long dead period by hosting ten prospects last weekend, including four of the top in-state prospects. Although they didn’t gain any commitments, there was seemingly a lot of progress made for the Badgers with some of these recruits. Wisconsin isn’t done with the big visits. On […]

Wisconsin Football: More targets coming to Madison in second wave of visits - Badger of Honor - Badger of Honor - A Wisconsin Badgers Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

Continue reading...

When they commit, then we know they'll be Badgers. At this point there's concerns on the horizon over NIL.

When they commit, then we know they'll be Badgers. At this point there's concerns on the horizon over NIL.
This is a very interesting topic, well maybe only to me...

The one thing thats going to make things complicated is that the states that have passed laws, its not uniform across the board, so many differences and exceptions. As an example, in FLA, any earnings get put into escrow until the athlete leaves school. The big unknown is who this impacts. I get that 5 Star kids probably get impacted most and maybe some 4 Star kids, but past that its just unclear. The other thing is what if "Kid A" goes to LSU thinking he's going to make some coin on NIL and then the well is dry does he hit the transfer portal? Going to be fascinating how this plays out, especially if congress passes some sort of legislation

To these kids, it will become a job. They'll go where they're already guaranteed they will get paid. There's no doubt unscrupulous team supporters will turn it into a gold mine for those kids who have the most talent. But, they'll also stock the shelves with additional talent to make the team better.

It's going to end up a nightmare. Like Pack said, the transfer portal will become a "change of jobs for higher pay" portal.

To these kids, it will become a job. They'll go where they're already guaranteed they will get paid. There's no doubt unscrupulous team supporters will turn it into a gold mine for those kids who have the most talent. But, they'll also stock the shelves with additional talent to make the team better.

It's going to end up a nightmare. Like Pack said, the transfer portal will become a "change of jobs for higher pay" portal.
I am just not convinced that this guaranteed money issue will happen, especially kids who are not "elite brand" type kids. Some states have decent guardrails, some do not. Lot of restrictions who a kid can endorse.

Lets not be naive, its a job to many of these kids now. I just dont think the local Toyota dealer is going to spend 6 figures on some kid, and in many states thats off limits anyway if the school has a auto deal which most do. The Florida bill should be a boiler plate for states to follow

I am just not convinced that this guaranteed money issue will happen, especially kids who are not "elite brand" type kids. Some states have decent guardrails, some do not. Lot of restrictions who a kid can endorse.

Lets not be naive, its a job to many of these kids now. I just dont think the local Toyota dealer is going to spend 6 figures on some kid, and in many states thats off limits anyway if the school has a auto deal which most do. The Florida bill should be a boiler plate for states to follow
Oh I agree but the 5 star blue chip kids those will be the kids who are getting the large deals and being bought to come to a school. Granted it will be a fraction of all kids going places. Most kids will be lucky to get a few hundred bucks to make some apperances at some local busniess

Oh I agree but the 5 star blue chip kids those will be the kids who are getting the large deals and being bought to come to a school. Granted it will be a fraction of all kids going places. Most kids will be lucky to get a few hundred bucks to make some apperances at some local busniess
I question how many large deals are out there. Personally I think its a pipe dream. I know what local marketing budgets are, they are not built to pay big $$$ in places like Gainsville and with no many differences in legislation its unclear how this all falls

I question how many large deals are out there. Personally I think its a pipe dream. I know what local marketing budgets are, they are not built to pay big $$$ in places like Gainsville and with no many differences in legislation its unclear how this all falls
Yeah it will have to be a multi-millionaire who owns a large business to do this. Also would have to be like a top top recurit to get money even then I question if 6 figures are going to be out there. Will they get maybe like 50K? Yeah but that might be top end money for those guys.

Yeah it will have to be a multi-millionaire who owns a large business to do this. Also would have to be like a top top recurit to get money even then I question if 6 figures are going to be out there. Will they get maybe like 50K? Yeah but that might be top end money for those guys.
and you dont become a multi millionaire throwing out money foolishly.

I could tell you stories about guys I knew, who played football at large universities, who were getting paid under the table. When you consider the era was when people made $100-$120 a week, and they were bringing in the same during the school year for doing 2 or 3 hours of "work" during the school year, and given jobs in construction, etc., where they'd sit in the office with a hard hat on, and get paid as "assistant foremen?"

It was a racket then, is now, and this is just going to open up the flood gates for some real money changing hands.

I know one guy, who a particular school wanted to play QB. He was looking at a different school, so the school that wanted him went to his girlfriend in high school, and offered her a full ride on a scholarship in her chosen field. Naturally, he signed with them, and played there. Interesting this is, within 2 months of getting there, they split up.

I won't do details because it was, and still is a nasty business.

Back