Wisconsin Football: Did the Badgers make a mistake with Jack Coan?

Back to evaluation for a second. Ok full disclosure we did not see camp in person and no spring game but some names stick out
  • Allen. The kid was a dominate 4 star safety and probably more of LB but you move him to RB and he’s RB #4? Ok fine if you think his future is a RB and maybe RS ,but that talent should not be on the bench.
  • Rucci: Both of them actually. Hayden cannot crack the 2 deep. Nolan again maybe a RS year helps but as average as this OL is maybe let the kid play. Hell again 5 star kid who the world wanted
  • Brown: yeah he’s been injured but something seems off. To talented and again questionable OL you would hope he gets reps

Week 2 depth chart... notice who is up top in the booth on offense.
E-nDndxXoAA-pFf
Was it just me? Why did we get away from heavy pre snap motion? Was this Turner in the booth? Was a staple in this offense

Watching the game, I questioned some of the blocking schemes. They left gaps in the line that allowed defenders through without being touched. If you watch closely, there are double teams next to them, and not necessary.

I am not confident in Rudolph. That's his job.

Was it just me? Why did we get away from heavy pre snap motion? Was this Turner in the booth? Was a staple in this offense
It had to be Turner and or JR is still calling it, How do I know this ? Every time the sideline was calling in plays( the two QB with headsets using signals) PC was bent over on his knees listening not talking....so someone else was calling in those plays. My guess is JR is still doing it and PC is just defecting things by saying he was. It looks too much like last year's crap to be Turner.

Watching the game, I questioned some of the blocking schemes. They left gaps in the line that allowed defenders through without being touched. If you watch closely, there are double teams next to them, and not necessary.

I am not confident in Rudolph. That's his job.
But at the same time there were cut back lanes that the RB’s plain missed. My biggest issue was pass pro

It had to be Turner and or JR is still calling it, How do I know this ? Every time the sideline was calling in plays( the two QB with headsets using signals) PC was bent over on his knees listening not talking....so someone else was calling in those plays. My guess is JR is still doing it and PC is just defecting things by saying he was. It looks too much like last year's crap to be Turner.
Thanks. Good insight.

I’m just hoping they are not trying to simplify things to much for Mertz. Get back to my fear of trust in the kid.

I’m just hoping they are not trying to simplify things to much for Mertz. Get back to my fear of trust in the kid.
Honestly didn't see that, their tendencies by formation just aren't hard to figure out. I don't think either of our backs that played are elite in that they didn't seem to have the second gear... so they adjusted in the front 7 and played man or off man and frankly our WR couldn't make them regret that move....ball game

Okay! On Mertz. Yes! Mertz was not going through his progressions. When there were plays where you could see his eyes, you could see him locked on the primary, or a secondary, that he preferred at the time of the snap, or was dictated by the defensive set. But, for the most part, he was not given any time to go through his reads early, and I believe that made him skitterish, and he began ignoring anything than what his first observation was. Not an excuse for him though, when it comes to handling the ball.

It didn't seem like Chryst was calling plays. I doubt very much if a TE coach in the booth was doing it. But just an opinion on that. That leaves Rudolph. It was such a bland assortment of plays. It reminded me of last year's garbage.

If they don't trust Mertz, dumbing down the offense isn't going to make them play better. They'll just look more pathetic when they lose.

Back