Wisconsin Football: Did the Badgers make a mistake with Jack Coan?

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Jack Coan, the former quarterback for the Wisconsin football team poured salt into the wound for a lot of Badger fans on Sunday night. A day after Wisconsin quarterback Graham Mertz struggled mightily against Penn State, Coan went off for Notre Dame, throwing for 366 yards and four touchdowns in an OT win against Florida State on […]

Wisconsin Football: Did the Badgers make a mistake with Jack Coan? - Badger of Honor - Badger of Honor - A Wisconsin Badgers Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

Continue reading...

No,you can't compare what ND is doing offensively with the talent they have vs UW. If anything it shows some underlying issues with PC staff and how they evaluate talent and PC inability to change his offensive system over time.

So it's not a "QB " issue to me it's a systemic issue. tc(
I agree somewhat especially evaluation. The difference is the only route combinations Mertz seems to be comfortable with is “one read” routes where he does not have to run thru progressions. Now to be fair part of that is OL “pass pro” that forces him off his spot/ reads fast. Perfect example was the last drive and the 2 quick outs that were simple drop back and toss. Mertz has the arm strength, not sure he has it above the shoulders which again goes to evaluate and coaching.

Had one thing that’s important to this discussion. The FSU defense is just not as physical of talented as PSU. Coan vs PSU changes the conversation a bit

I agree somewhat especially evaluation. The difference is the only route combinations Mertz seems to be comfortable with is “one read” routes where he does not have to run thru progressions. Now to be fair part of that is OL “pass pro” that forces him off his spot/ reads fast. Perfect example was the last drive and the 2 quick outs that were simple drop back and toss. Mertz has the arm strength, not sure he has it above the shoulders which again goes to evaluate and coaching.
All these kids are spread QB, ND was running pistol spread stuff almost all night. UW is running a whole different animal. Mertz, Coan and Hornibrook all struggled at UW for some of the same reasons, the latter two played much better in other systems because there wasn't a learning curve and they both had better personal at WR specifically than UW.

All these kids are spread QB, ND was running pistol spread stuff almost all night. UW is running a whole different animal. Mertz, Coan and Hornibrook all struggled at UW for some of the same reasons, the latter two played much better in other systems because there wasn't a learning curve and they both had better personal at WR specifically than UW.
The jury is still out on Coan but Hornibrook @ FSU was still inconsistent. Now as to personal around them yes, no question.

I rewatched the game yesterday and I’m going to give Mertz a bit of a pass due to the OL / pass pro. The one play that stuck out was the fumble that was overturned early. Dike was clearing on a cross but there was no time to throw. Probably happened 2-3 times. Now why PC did not adjust and just use one read quick throws, well that’s a coaching issue. Now the red zone fumbles that’s on 5

The jury is still out on Coan but Hornibrook @ FSU was still inconsistent. Now as to personal around them yes, no question.

I rewatched the game yesterday and I’m going to give Mertz a bit of a pass due to the OL / pass pro. The one play that stuck out was the fumble that was overturned early. Dike was clearing on a cross but there was no time to throw. Probably happened 2-3 times. Now why PC did not adjust and just use one read quick throws, well that’s a coaching issue. Now the red zone fumbles that’s on 5
great summary, big question WTH happened to our OL coaching ? It's getting progressively worse under Joe R ?

PS I am 99.9% sure PC didn't call plays in this game.

Week 2 depth chart... notice who is up top in the booth on offense.
E-nDndxXoAA-pFf

great summary, big question WTH happened to our OL coaching ? It's getting progressively worse under Joe R ?

PS I am 99.9% sure PC didn't call plays in this game.
That’s a beautiful mystery as to the OL. I get Logan Brown has been hurt but this is still a 5 star kid (ok sorry mentioned stars) but he can’t see the field except for injury. Is it coaching or are they just missing on some kids. Probably somewhere in the middle

Back