Wisconsin Football: Can Paul Chryst get the Badgers over the hump?

But, I think there's huge coaching shortcomings. Why are they rotating offensive lineman? The schemes / strategies are very simple and predictable. All to frequently opponents defenses appear to know exactly what Bucky intends to do - even Eastern Michigan but our horses were better. It certainly appears that Chryst's offense requires a superstar running back who can run around and through defenders or it goes nowhere. I see very little in the passing strategy.

Onto Big Blue
Here is where we disagree a bit. I believe they they are rotating OL because they cannot find the right combo, now thats on Joe R. I remember a camp comment that there was not much separation on OL play which translates to me its just a lot of average. Hard to have a passing strategy when Pryor is your #1 option and you have Dunn at a slot. Personally I think Dike is a better route runner than Davis but thats just me. Again like OL, a lot of average.

Lets look back to 2019. At WR Cephus, Pryor, AJ Taylor, Davis. Much deeper. At TE Ferguson, Neuville. OL Van Lanen, Biadasz, Erdman, Lyles, RB Taylor, Shaw.

While not spectacular it allowed more personal groups.

Last edited:
Here is where we disagree a bit. I believe they they are rotating OL because they cannot find the right combo, now thats on Joe R. I remember a camp comment that there was not much separation on OL play which translates to me its just a lot of average. Hard to have a passing strategy when Pryor is your #1 option and you have Dunn at a slot. Personally I think Dike is a better route runner than Davis but thats just me. Again like OL, a lot of average.

Lets look back to 2019. At WR Cephus, Pryor, AJ Taylor, Davis. Much deeper. At TE Ferguson, Neuville. OL Van Lanen, Biadasz, Erdman, Lyles, RB Taylor, Shaw.

While not spectacular it allowed more personal groups.

You're probably right that the talent level is not as high as years past.

Even if the Offensive Line is only average, I think we'd be better off selecting the best of the average 5 and trying to grow them as a unit. Maybe the whole could become greater than the sum of its parts.

And, even if our receiving corps is average or less than, it isn't helped by its predictability. All too frequently, it seems like our opponents know what we are trying to do.

Fingers crossed. Forward to Big Blue.

Lots of problems to fix. If a couple get fixed, we'll have a shot.

This team does not have the talent to win its a 6-6 or 7-5 team

If the offense doesn't get going it's not a 6 win team.

Hopefully turns around this weekend

This team does not have the talent to win its a 6-6 or 7-5 team
They have 6 games that they will be favored in. Rutgers, Iowa and Michigan are a coin flip. I don’t see 6-6

People are forgetting that this was a 4th quarter lead until the KO return. They out gained ND. The difference? Turnovers.

They have 6 games that they will be favored in. Rutgers, Iowa and Michigan are a coin flip. I don’t see 6-6

People are forgetting that this was a 4th quarter lead until the KO return. They out gained ND. The difference? Turnovers.
Still this offense is going to struggle to move the ball against most of the teams that remain.

Still this offense is going to struggle to move the ball against most of the teams that remain.
The rest of the schedule is not PSU with the exception of Nebraska and Iowa. Personally I think Iowa is oversold but we will see

The rest of the schedule is not PSU with the exception of Nebraska and Iowa. Personally I think Iowa is oversold but we will see
6-6 might be worst case but I think at best this team is 8-4

I don't know anymore. Not so sure 8-4 is realistic. That now seems hopeful. A single remaining loss against only Iowa? I don't know. I see Iowa as a likely loss and most of the rest as toss-ups with how bad this offense looks. To me 7 wins looks like the high side and 5 wins on the low side.

Unless they figure some things out and improve mightily on offense they will keep putting the defense in bad spots and allow teams to hang around where a couple of plays make the difference.

Notre Dame didn't look good against Purdue but then rolls the Badgers. Ditto for Michigan vs Rutgers. With the way those games went down, I'm not so sure Purdue and Rutgers aren't toss-ups given that both are on the road.

I'm really not confident enough to say point blank that the Badgers will absolutely win any single one of their remaining games. I just think they'll win at least 4-5 of them somehow.

Back