Will Ron Zook Turn Around The Packers Special Teams ?

Defensewins

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Founder
Reaction score
A couple articles out there but the same old rehashed thing. Can Zook Help ? He was an awful HC at Illinois and he hasn't run ST in the NFL in a long time.

Personally think it depends on how MM/TT approach personal in camp. Thoughts ?

Somehow I just can't see a miracle with this. GB has to keep line depth and that's going to limit who they can keep for ST. The roster numbers will make things tough and if we get any kind of injury bug watch out.

Have to agree it comes down to if they have better personal on ST. I think our ST and defense have held us back 2 years running. Only question is if you shift gear will it hinder the offense to the point of not being as potent ? Would it hurt the offensive depth ? At any rate I am ready for training camp to get here.

we fired the guy who consistently had produced special teams that were among the league's worst. to ensure that we continue to suck, we promoted his assistant. FP(

It's just as much a talent issue. If anyone noticed the drop off from the first 22 to second unit was drastic. And it's a direct impact on special teams.

I feel like this was a lazy, easy hire on McCarthy's part. There were some very good ST coaches available. They say they have a complete commitment to Special Teams now. I'm just not getting that vibe. We'll see. I'm hoping for the best.

we fired the guy who consistently had produced special teams that were among the league's worst. to ensure that we continue to suck, we promoted his assistant. FP(

Does the assistant have the authority to overrule the coordinator at 1265? We don't know if Zook was always in complete accord with the decisions made by Slocum so Ron's approach might be a hell of lot better (as I said before, it couldn't get much worse). Having the head man in those meetings has gotta help too.

How to coach Special Teams:

Kickoff:
"Stay in your lanes"
"Guys, stay in your lanes!"
"G#$ f*$#@n' d@$#(t you sh!ts for brains, stay in your lanes!"

Punt:
"Remember, we're only out here because the offense can't handle their business."
"You, legs, don't outkick the coverage unless you're dropping it out of bounds at the 2"
"You, gunners, don't run past the guy who's gonna catch the ball. You're running windsprints around the stadium every time you do."
"Don't let anybody get past you."

FG/Extra Point:
"Form-Testudo! ... form testudo! ... form testudo! ... form testudo!"

Punt/Kickoff return:
"Hat on a hat fellas, the kicker should be the only guy running free."

FG/Punt Block:
"BANSAIII"

Successful onside kick:

Failed onside kick:

Last edited:
Back