Why did the team cut Tim Masthay?

As do opponents special teams, the other 10 guys on his own ST, and a host of other factors. I'm more concerned with the timing as it affects Crosby.

That's my biggest concern as well. How good of a holder is he and will he and Crosby have time to get in sync with each other.

Crosby seemed to kick okay when Mortell was in camp so perhaps Mason will be fine with Schum. FCC(

I have no problem with them changing punters. Just think MM should have kept his trap shut after they cut Mortell instead of opening it like a doofus. Now you all know why Ted doesn't talk about players, it's because more than half the time he's actively trying to replace more than half of them. Cleary they had a claim in on Schum when MM said publicly that Masthay was in the driver seat - either the FO didn't tell him that or he just put his foot in his mouth.

My second issue is that this guy just doesn't seem to be that good. The guy from Denver that got cut helped them get to the SB, he pinned NE inside the 20 four or five times. Yes he'll cost more than a waiver claim but they have the space and they consider themselves a SB team so why not try to sign him.

Britton Colquitt was set to earn 3.25 million this year. That is a huge chunk of change for a guy that was not better than Masthay last year statistically.

Masthay was Gross 43.9 yds and Net 40.2 yds
B. Colquitt was Gross 43.6 yds and Net 39.7
Schum was Gross 41.9 and Net 38.0

Not sure I can justify $2.75 million more for 10 yards of field position in a game. (average 5 punts/game at 2 more net yards per punt)

The biggest key will be holding. Can Schum do it?

He was cut though, salary goes up in smoke. He will sign again for was than that.

Reports are that the Packers have shown interest in Colquitt. As well as the Bears, Vikings and Cardinals.

Back