Tim Masthay ready to prove himself again

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Packers punter finished 2014 season mired in second-half slump

home

Continue reading...

I think part of the issue was are crappy coverage teams.I give him the benefit of the doubt and say he bounces back. Punters and kickers you can replace if not.

i also think when you are only asked to punt the ball twice a game you can easily lose your edge and get sloppy with your mechanics. probably one of the very few downsides to having such a productive offense.

i also think when you are only asked to punt the ball twice a game you can easily lose your edge and get sloppy with your mechanics. probably one of the very few downsides to having such a productive offense.

5 games with 1 or zero punts. that's crazy.

You could almost get away with making him inactive and dress an extra lineman or DB.

I don't know why we need a punter - but not for the reasons in realitybytes' post. 30+ years ago a positional player did the punting duties so I have a hard time believing no one on this squad besides Masthay could punt for us. The size of the roster is limited enough as it is so it would be nice if we could use that spot for extra depth elsewhere.

Ya know... if I were a quarterback of marginal ability, good enough to be a backup but not starter material... who wanted to have a nice, long career in the NFL... I just might start working on my punting technique. If you were decent at it, you could fill two spots on a lot of rosters, thus freeing a team up to add an additional position player.

But then, that's probably easier said than done for a lot of people. I had a lot of leg strength, and could regularly boom it over 50 yards in high school. I just didn't want to be a kicker, so I never took it seriously. I've often wished I'd had the brains to accept that was the only thing i could do that much better than anyone else, and stuck with it.

See, I grew up in the country, a mile from the nearest neighbor in any direction, and ten miles from town. And I was an only child. Wasn't much to do but take the football out to the pasture, kick it as far as I could, then go get it and kick it again. Just me and my dog, all day long. Man, I used to launch that thing all the way into next week by the time I was 14 or 15. I was a big kid, already over 6 feet by then, and had legs long enough that instead of ducking between the wires on the barbed wire fence, I'd just step over it. I've always wondered what I could have done if I'd taken it seriously and gone through a 4-year college program.

But then, that's probably easier said than done for a lot of people. I had a lot of leg strength, and could regularly boom it over 50 yards in high school. I just didn't want to be a kicker, so I never took it seriously. I've often wished I'd had the brains to accept that was the only thing i could do that much better than anyone else, and stuck with it.

See, I grew up in the country, a mile from the nearest neighbor in any direction, and ten miles from town. And I was an only child. Wasn't much to do but take the football out to the pasture, kick it as far as I could, then go get it and kick it again. Just me and my dog, all day long. Man, I used to launch that thing all the way into next week by the time I was 14 or 15. I was a big kid, already over 6 feet by then, and had legs long enough that instead of ducking between the wires on the barbed wire fence, I'd just step over it. I've always wondered what I could have done if I'd taken it seriously and gone through a 4-year college program.

Same thing here ... we had a huge orchard and a spot that looked just like goal post width. Used to take the tee and kick FG all day. 3 balls..kick... go get them... reset ..kick.

Oh Frozen our house was 9.7 miles from town. So I really made my own fun as well.

We only got three channels then in Stevens Point, and I didn't care for soap operas. Summer days were spent outside until it was too dark to see. Even if I stayed out after dark, i could still find my way home through a half mile of those woods in the blackness, because I knew them like the back of my hand. I knew every tree within a half mile. Most kids today, you could put Area 51 in the woods 50 yards from their house, and they could live there their entire lives without ever suspecting a thing.

Yeah, kicking footballs all up and down the pasture, and when i got bored with that, hitting baseballs. Got to be a pretty good hitter, too. Baseballs were several bucks apiece, so when your pasture is only one acre wide, you learn to be a place hitter pretty fast. Or you run out of baseballs, and have to start hitting your dad's golf balls. And he might not like that very much. As i found out.

Back