Tim Masthay ready to prove himself again

I am surprised in college we don't see a push for a dual kicker and punter to do both and save a roster spot. Then those guys move up to the NFL saving a roster spot. Heck I am surprised that we don't see more team's having their center be a long snapper also to save a roster spot there or at least have one of the backup OL be the long snapper.

Remember Tom Tupa ? Played QB AND could punt .... had a longer carrier then most because you could carry him as your punter and he was a serviceable # 3 QB.

If there aren't ANY dual-purpose punters or long snappers in the league, there must be a reason (have no idea, just never noticed any). Also, sort of along the lines of agonizing over the last cuts from the 53 before the season starts, how important are the last two guys on the game-day active roster? How many times have we beat ourselves over the head because one of the inactives could have made a big difference? The last one I remember is the Denver Super Bowl. Just saying that, while there's no disputing the advantage of a dual-threat (IF it doesn't somehow take away from his performance in the primary role), it may really not be all that big a deal.

If there aren't ANY dual-purpose punters or long snappers in the league, there must be a reason (have no idea, just never noticed any). Also, sort of along the lines of agonizing over the last cuts from the 53 before the season starts, how important are the last two guys on the game-day active roster? How many times have we beat ourselves over the head because one of the inactives could have made a big difference? The last one I remember is the Denver Super Bowl. Just saying that, while there's no disputing the advantage of a dual-threat (IF it doesn't somehow take away from his performance in the primary role), it may really not be all that big a deal.

The spread system has really killed this type of QB. Everyone shifted to a different style yet it's still the teams that play solid D and run the football winning titles. Point being it's a sign of this era of football.

Back