The Cotton Bowl Was An Embarrassment to College Football

Yes but it’s the TV money that drives the brinks truck.
At what point does the viewership drop to such a level that playing the game isn't that valuable to the networks.

I guess I tend to believe that the actual talent of the two teams taking the field in the average bowl game doesn't matter. What does matter is how well their fan base travels, under certain conditions, and how well they do in the TV ratings. It could be an 0-12 Notre Dame against a 1-13 Alabama, and it would pull a decent viewership level. If it was a 14-0 Boise State against a 14-0 Appalachian State, you'd be looking at a half empty stadium, and low viewership.

That's why some teams end up getting bowl games ahead of better teams, even though the at least try to make believe it don't happen.

At what point does the viewership drop to such a level that playing the game isn't that valuable to the networks.

I guess I tend to believe that the actual talent of the two teams taking the field in the average bowl game doesn't matter. What does matter is how well their fan base travels, under certain conditions, and how well they do in the TV ratings. It could be an 0-12 Notre Dame against a 1-13 Alabama, and it would pull a decent viewership level. If it was a 14-0 Boise State against a 14-0 Appalachian State, you'd be looking at a half empty stadium, and low viewership.

That's why some teams end up getting bowl games ahead of better teams, even though the at least try to make believe it don't happen.
Well it’s already dropped but the caveat is that it’s still dwarfs what on traditional linear TV in prime so it’s still a valuable property. Case in point
2020 Prime-time viewership
CBS: down 32%
Fox: down 28%
NBC: down 25%
ABC: down 7%

Part of that is cord cutting, some is change in viewing habits, some is COVID with no new content. Surprisingly even the mid tier bowls draw decent rating numbers, in the ballpark of 1.5m to 2m. It’s still live sports

Now the travel thing is actually an interesting discussion. Teams are obligated to sell so many tickets to bowl games but many folks buy thru secondary markets or just your basic online Ticketmaster purchase. So who holds the bag? The school. And they have nobody to blame but themselves with how they package tix and hospitality. UW is notorious for this.

I really thought there was going to be a tipping point with rights fees and such but I really missed on that one. At some point there will be an inflection point but when is anyone’s guess.

• Informative
Reactions: TW
Well it’s already dropped but the caveat is that it’s still dwarfs what on traditional linear TV in prime so it’s still a valuable property. Case in point
2020 Prime-time viewership
CBS: down 32%
Fox: down 28%
NBC: down 25%
ABC: down 7%

Part of that is cord cutting, some is change in viewing habits, some is COVID with no new content. Surprisingly even the mid tier bowls draw decent rating numbers, in the ballpark of 1.5m to 2m. It’s still live sports

Now the travel thing is actually an interesting discussion. Teams are obligated to sell so many tickets to bowl games but many folks buy thru secondary markets or just your basic online Ticketmaster purchase. So who holds the bag? The school. And they have nobody to blame but themselves with how they package tix and hospitality. UW is notorious for this.

I really thought there was going to be a tipping point with rights fees and such but I really missed on that one. At some point there will be an inflection point but when is anyone’s guess.

It's all entertainment. When it's lacking enough, affecting dollars, it'll change. The last few years have tainted me with all the opt outs. I just don't find the bowl games very exciting anymore.

I have said this many times - allowing students to “opt out” or skip their bowl games so they can prepare for the draft is a very slippery slope. They spend all of this time working on things to improve only their combine scores, which impresses all the media and increases the player’s hype. Wouldn’t going out and dominating a bowl game do more for your draft position? While I’m an analytics guy, I think that because of all the combine prep that goes on now, those results have less value than in the past.

Going to (and winning) plays a role in recruiting for schools as well.
Like Mark said, this year is an anomaly, but formulating some kind of plan for the future needs to be addressed.
JMHO, as a possible example, give players a window of time to opt out BEFORE bowl matchups are announced. This could then give bowl committees an opportunity to reevaluate possible matchups so you get better quality games.
Just an idea.
And I agree, there’s too many bowl games. Can’t wait to watch the Toilet Bowl game!

Back