The Cotton Bowl Was An Embarrassment to College Football

FlaPack

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This is more NCAA related than Badgers but I think its important in the big picture

Last night Oklahoma blew out Florida 55-20. The score was not what irritates me, its why was Florida even on the field last night and why would the NCAA let it happen.

The idea of the NY6 Bowls is to create matchups fans want to see, top 10 teams that dont normally meet get a chance to compete other than the CFP. Florida was without its top 3 WR and top 10 lock Kyle Pitts, all opted out of the game. Florida only had 60 scholarship players available last night, sure some COVID issues but even the SEC had a minimum 53 scholarship players to play in the conference season and also position limits And in the age of sports betting, Florida went from a 3 point favorite to a 8.5 point underdog.

I am not blaming the committee here for the matchup. They had no ideas who opt out, the blame lays squarely at the foot of the NCAA. Its now become the norm, or getting to be the norm of players opting out in bowl games. Happened to Georgia a few years ago but last night put the issue in the spotlight. There are multiple issues at play here.
  • #1 Bowl games are really made for TV events for ESPN. I believe 80% are actually run by ESPN Events. Most bowl games attendance are at best average, even bowls like Outback and Citrus have trouble selling tickets.
  • #2 The NCAA has not addressed NIL compensation. Would that have helped guys like Pitts and Toney play last night? Probably not but the NCAA needs to stop using the archaic term "Student Athletes" and address the business of college football.
  • #3 Competitive Balance. Last night was a joke. I give Trask a lot of credit for playing but he also cost himself some money. Its a delicate balance, the kids (most) want to play in a big time bowl, but some dont give a rats ass because there is not much to play for.
  • #4 Sports Gambling. Dont be blind its here to stay. But its not injuries or matchups that are moving lines, its kids decisions to play for not to play thats making and costing people money. I get that its a choice to place a bet but its the real world
This is going to get worse before it gets better. I have been a fan of bowl week and NY6 bowls for years. I looked forward to them. But the last couple of years I have started to see an erosion of interest, among both fans and players. its not an easy fix and unfortunately we have the NCAA leading the way

Just my opinion but we have way way too many bowls plus the kids have seen a lot of players get hurt in these bowls and not get drafted where they should. Honestly, I only watch a few of them anymore and that's mostly for draft prospects.

Everything happening this year is an anomaly and can be thrown out the window in a couple of weeks.

Just my opinion but we have way way too many bowls plus the kids have seen a lot of players get hurt in these bowls and not get drafted where they should. Honestly, I only watch a few of them anymore and that's mostly for draft prospects.

Everything happening this year is an anomaly and can be thrown out the window in a couple of weeks.
But this happened in a NY 6 Bowl, not the Cheez It Bowl, or New Mexico Bowl. If your going to make this your showcase, NY6 Bowls this cannot happen

When the marquee athletes opt out of bowl games, the reason to attend, or watch on TV, is lessened.

I don't know where the opt-out is leading us, but I honestly don't blame a guy from doing it, because his future livelihood is at stake.

Pack as you say follow the money. As long as there are sponsors there will be bowl games to be played. I just think you will see more common as guys who are 1st round picks opt out of playing.

When the marquee athletes opt out of bowl games, the reason to attend, or watch on TV, is lessened.

I don't know where the opt-out is leading us, but I honestly don't blame a guy from doing it, because his future livelihood is at stake.

it's a tough one. if the trend continues, it will destroy the appeal of bowl games. who wants to watch a top-rated team play without it's top stars? you can't force the players to play, and there's very little incentive for them to play. in the grand scheme of life, what is the value to an nfl player of being able to say i was on a team that won the cotton bowl?

Reactions: TW
it's a tough one. if the trend continues, it will destroy the appeal of bowl games. who wants to watch a top-rated team play without it's top stars? you can't force the players to play, and there's very little incentive for them to play. in the grand scheme of life, what is the value to an nfl player of being able to say i was on a team that won the cotton bowl?
I guess my issues this is the first NY6 game that had this issue. We have seen it in lower bowls but not at the more “marquee” games. On top of that, some of Mullens post game comments were downright idiotic. It’s just one large embarrassment

Pack as you say follow the money. As long as there are sponsors there will be bowl games to be played. I just think you will see more common as guys who are 1st round picks opt out of playing.
Yes but it’s the TV money that drives the brinks truck.

Back