Ted Thompson steps down as GM the next GM is......

I didn't see in the article where the BOD made Murphy make the change. Where did you read that?
"The public images of Thompson and some recent interaction with Packers executives led the 45-member board of directors to instruct Murphy to remove him as general manager, according to one source".

Marks article.

Murphy is playing the Captain Renault role here.... The extension of MM's contract by a year, could end up being just that; or the new GM just cuts bait and MM gets fired, but with a functional bonus. Murphy will just say: "I'm shocked, but it's the GM's call...."

The more we learn... the less it makes sense to me.

McGinn and others are saying the BOD made Murphy do this.... Murphy says no he did it himself blah blah.

Reports yesterday from almost every source in FB that Ball, Highsmith, Wolf and Gunt were going to be considered.

Highsmith jumped ship in less than 24 hrs and Wolf hasn't been heard from or mentioned outside of these stories.

Today we learn TT signed MM to a 1 year extension ? The day after the 2nd worse season in 12 yrs ?

Yesterday TT was stepping down blah blah and a search would begin ASAP.

Today TT remains GM until a new one is hired and we will move quickly BUT we want to put the time in to get the right guy.

Left hand.... Right hand nuts(( wacky( Shocked(

McGinn and others are saying the BOD made Murphy do this.... Murphy says no he did it himself blah blah.

Reports yesterday from almost every source in FB that Ball, Highsmith, Wolf and Gunt were going to be considered.

Highsmith jumped ship in less than 24 hrs and Wolf hasn't been heard from or mentioned outside of these stories.

Today we learn TT signed MM to a 1 year extension ? The day after the 2nd worse season in 12 yrs ?

Today TT remains GM until a new one is hired and we will move quickly BUT we want to put the time in to get the right guy.

Murphy has to come out and say it was him. He would literally look incompetent. I truly hope it was him because if not, he truly does look incompetent. I also posit that we will learn of other issues with Thompson that affected this team.

Like I've said for a long time, the BOD would let Murphy know what they felt ought to be done. Whether or not he did it would be up to him. Whether or not they fired him was up to them. Murphy, as I've said, will do what the board wants, because he's a part of that board, therefore a voice in the decision, but still the person who is supposed to carry out their decisions.

I believe they also may have concluded that the "new GM" should decide McC's fate. Now that could also mean they won't put anyone in place that would keep him. (Just a personal opinion on this point.)

As far as the extension to his contract, it means nothing for McC except possibly a few extra bucks in severance pay, if he's let go, before the 2018 season starts. Those extensions are usually very friendly to the franchise, not the coach.

Good post Mark! You know we probably will be kept in the dark about what's really going on. Is Murphy that incompetent or are they trying to hide something? Really baffles me as to what they are doing.

Devils advocate, but you’re citing source reports vs what Murphy said today. Isn’t it possible that the sources were just conjecture or flat out wrong? And that what Murphy says and actually does are the only things we should pay attention to?

Devils advocate, but you’re citing source reports vs what Murphy said today. Isn’t it possible that the sources were just conjecture or flat out wrong? And that what Murphy says and actually does are the only things we should pay attention to?
Anything is possible...it's also possible he is lying out his teeth covering his backside. See I can play that game too.

I think Ball might be front runner for this job. Murphy has said don't need personal/scouting experince to be considered for GM job. Ball has none of that. Could see Ball get GM job were then TT is his player advisor when it comes to the draft.

Back