Ranking the top 5 GMs in the NFL

Agree on Elway he does not win the Super Bowl he is looked at as a failure for going all in and not winning the big one. He took a huge gamble and got lucky that it paid off.

Agree on Elway he does not win the Super Bowl he is looked at as a failure for going all in and not winning the big one. He took a huge gamble and got lucky that it paid off.

I value sustainability far more than one and done. What he did was not sustainable and now Denver pays the price. If he can turn it around in a couple years I may change my mind but They are a long way from returning with what they have on the roster.

Playing Devils advocate... What Elway did in Denver we wanted Thompson to do in GB. Fill holes via free agency. I get the sustainability argument. But at the end of the day it's a win now league and if you have a window to win go for it.

Playing Devils advocate... What Elway did in Denver we wanted Thompson to do in GB. Fill holes via free agency. I get the sustainability argument. But at the end of the day it's a win now league and if you have a window to win go for it.

But Elway went all in he was not concerned with the draft much and went all in on FA. I for one wanted TT to be more like BB and try to balance the draft and FA as the Pats seem to have found the right balance of not relying on either one to much to build the team.

I didn't want TT to break the bank to go for it. I wouldn't have complained if he got Trevathan for what he got paid but there weren't many other guys out there that I thought would have fit the bill at an affordable rate. I'm relatively happy with the moves he has made so far and have high hopes he'll get it done in the draft again.

But Elway went all in he was not concerned with the draft much and went all in on FA. I for one wanted TT to be more like BB and try to balance the draft and FA as the Pats seem to have found the right balance of not relying on either one to much to build the team.
His drafts have been good. Miller, Roby, Ray, Thomas to name a few. All of those guys contributed

I used to scoff that the Marlins because they would go all in to win a World Series and then have to have a fire-sale and go through years of rebuilding. I preferred the Rockies approach. But now, 20+ years after these two teams joined MLB, the Marlins have 2 World Series trophies and we've only managed to make it to one.

It is a little different for the Packers where we've been a contending team almost every year for over two decades. We may have only won 2, but the reason that number can seem frustratingly low is because we've been so competitive in so many other seasons. So I like the approach that we have, knowing that almost every game can be won and that we'll be in the playoff almost every season. But I can see why other teams "take a shot" even if it means years of rebuilding.

The NFL is set up for parity. And rebuilds can be quick. I've always felt that "cap hell" is a myth.

Back