Randall Benching....then pouting

The video is blocked on this site, but go to the 5:08 mark and watch it a few times. Wright takes a couple of steps, leans to the inside, Randall bites down hard, and Wright just reverses, goes up and outside, and finds the corner of the endzone trailing Randall behind him a few yards.
Look at the end.... he was looking for help crease. Look at the Safety who was creeping up backoff and wheel back. I'll bet the farm it's a blown coverage assignment by the Safety.

edit !!! #20 Kevin King was lined up to blitz and peels back... Folks that's a blown assignment by the big outside CB. No way is that coverage supposed to work that way.

#Packers CB Damarious Randall got into a argument with a coach Thurs, then was sent into the locker room, sources said. He left the stadium.

edit !!! #20 Kevin King was lined up to blitz and peels back... Folks that's a blown assignment by the big outside CB. No way is that coverage supposed to work that way.

The safety in question is Dix (couldn't tell in the other video, you can on this one: ), King was on the outside corner lined up on the outside receiver.

Clinton-Dix walks up to show pressure then drops into a short zone by the goal line. #27 plays the same short zone on the other side of the field. King and Burnett are jammed up on the two outside receivers, Randall is playing deeper (on level with #27) and is over the inside slot receiver.

If HHCD is supposed to provide support on that play, he's way out of position before the snap (and that's on someone on the sideline or upstairs to be shouting for a timeout). If he's supposed to go with the receiver and Randall is supposed to cover the middle, that's impossible too.

Either Randall didn't know that Dix was coming back out, or he thought that King/Burnett were dropping into a zone?

I'd have to imagine that the two outside guys are in man to man, the safeties are playing zone? So what is Randall supposed to be doing? Were they expecting the two outside guys to push deeper and give Randall room to drive down on the short inside route?

Regardless, the blitz gets home, or even puts any sort of pressure on, this play turns out differently.

The safety in question is Dix (couldn't tell in the other video, you can on this one: ), King was on the outside corner lined up on the outside receiver.

Clinton-Dix walks up to show pressure then drops into a short zone by the goal line. #27 plays the same short zone on the other side of the field. King and Burnett are jammed up on the two outside receivers, Randall is playing deeper (on level with #27) and is over the inside slot receiver.

If HHCD is supposed to provide support on that play, he's way out of position before the snap (and that's on someone on the sideline or upstairs to be shouting for a timeout). If he's supposed to go with the receiver and Randall is supposed to cover the middle, that's impossible too.

Either Randall didn't know that Dix was coming back out, or he thought that King/Burnett were dropping into a zone?

I'd have to imagine that the two outside guys are in man to man, the safeties are playing zone? So what is Randall supposed to be doing? Were they expecting the two outside guys to push deeper and give Randall room to drive down on the short inside route?

Regardless, the blitz gets home, or even puts any sort of pressure on, this play turns out differently.

It looks like :

A: 2 people were playing 1 defense the others another coverage

OR

B:A crappy call by the DC

Regardless in this case I am saying you can't put it all on Randell. Since the coach sent him to the locker room then it's an "internal" issue like MM said. But stuff like that is not a good sign.

It looks like :

A: 2 people were playing 1 defense the others another coverage

OR

B:A crappy call by the DC

Regardless in this case I am saying you can't put it all on Randell. Since the coach sent him to the locker room then it's an "internal" issue like MM said. But stuff like that is not a good sign.

Even if the play was not all on Randell he has to know better then to cause a scene on the sideline. Next day you go into the coaches office and talk to him and/or in film explain what happened and how it was not all your fault.

From what I see, it's man to man coverage. Randall has to see that. He looks man up on his man. Ha Ha is inside of Randall and the WR so he cannot hep outside only inside. Not sure what Randal is crabbing about. He just got beat. The only interesting thing is King backs off his man at the last second when he sees Randall's man get open in the corner. Not sure if that was just reaction or it was a screw up. A screw up does not make sense though because at the start of the play they are all man up. I think this is on Randall.

From what I see, it's man to man coverage. Randall has to see that. He looks man up on his man. Ha Ha is inside of Randall and the WR so he cannot hep outside only inside. Not sure what Randal is crabbing about. He just got beat. The only interesting thing is King backs off his man at the last second when he sees Randall's man get open in the corner. Not sure if that was just reaction or it was a screw up. A screw up does not make sense though because at the start of the play they are all man up. I think this is on Randall.
If it's straight man in that formation then the DC needs to be fired... the entire sequence is a cluster #%% from a DB standpoint. I had 2 DB coaches look at it last night, one of whom coach's D1 ball. Both said it looks like 2 guys are playing zone and the rest man.( AKA someone screwed the pooch with the call)

Poor communication and crap defensive calls have plagued us for how many years ??? I can't blame this on the Corner when history shows it mostly likely was a screw up from the sideline or box.

At any rate MM says it's over and done with and Randell will be back at practice Tuesday and they are moving on.

There seems to be chaos in our defense. Who's responsible? Players? Coaches? It doesn't matter. The blow up by Randall could shake them all up enough to get on the same page.

It's easy to blame Randall for his actions, and we should. But, at the same time, let's hope McCarthy realizes that what he did was a symptom of a problem, and Randall exposed it.

We could see a lot of changes in our defense against Dallas. It could be an interesting change, better or worse. It could include benchings, and/or changes in coaching responsibilities. Most of it will be subtle, but it will play out on the field, for better or worse.

I'd like to say I'm looking forward to it, but I'm not. It could go three ways. Our season could head down the tubes immediately. Everything could stay the same, which means mediocrity. Then there's the third option, which I like most. They become the dominant defense in the NFL, and steam roll the Cowboys!

Back