Post Game Thread Packers Defeat Lions On Hail Mary Pass

I'm going to come out with the fan hot take that always comes out when an offense shreds the prevent defense:

Disclaimer - I fully see the Packers passing offense as a completely watered-down version. I am totally aware that we got Lacy and improved the line 2-3 years ago so that Rodgers didn't die back there. Our offense is great when we can run it and pass it.

All of that said, I think the gameplan is actually hurting us. We're trying to establish the run every game, which we kind of are. However, the passing game isn't that efficient and drives stall in their territory at some point and we drain the **** out of the clock.

Fully knowing that our passing game is a shell of its former self - just play the hurry up and take the intermediate throws. Run the ball more as a surprise instead of trying to establish it on 1st and 2nd down every single series. The games we've let crappy teams like the Bears hang around or have gotten the doors blown off are games where we forcefully try to establish the run and have to frantically come back chucking it all over the field.

That was really, really fun. I didn't see anything that leads me to believe that this team can win a playoff game (if they even make it that far), but you just have to put that aside and enjoy a moment like that. They don't come around often.

I thought the team dispelled a few of the popular fan narratives in that game:

1. "They just keep doing the same stuff that isn't working". We saw a new formation with Cobb and RBs in the backfield that had mixed results. Some misdirect type stuff. A new RB was given a chance. Hopefully we'll see more schematic changes to try to get guys in positions to succeed. But I fear the talent just isn't there.

2. "They don't hold anyone accountable". I've heard a lot of that the past month. Well, it's clear that Lacy and Harris weren't taking things seriously and both of them were held accountable (Harris more than Lacy, obviously).

3. "We should be using Janis more". They ran exactly the kind of shot play everyone wanted to see from Janis, but he couldn't judge it properly in the air. The ball landed right where he would have been if he doesn't slow down to try to make a play on the ball. He looked completely clueless. For me that was a "oh, that's why" moment.

The big flaw that I don't know how to overcome...people just aren't getting open. They showed it time and time again on replays. Literally everyone is covered on the majority of plays. Adams is sloppy, Janis should be on a practice squad, James Jones is showing why he was cut by 2 mediocre teams in less than a year, and Cobb doesn't look like the same player.

It's a shame because the defense is good enough to keep us in games. But there's seemingly no fix for the offense. Maybe Montgomery and Quarless will help if they ever get healthy. Hopefully the break will help.

Packers did get lucky yesterday but the defense really played well and only gave up 2 field goals in the final 3 qtrs. For all the naysayers about R. Rodgers he had a great game yesterday even before the 61 yard reception to win the game. He got open often and caught every pass that went in his direction. He has very sure hands.

Yes, we got lucky but Detroit played that hail Mary play about as poorly as one possibly could. Evidently Caldwell didn't think we'd try a hail Mary there and thought we'd try another hook and ladder play again even after it failed miserably a moment ago...

Back