Post Game Thread Packers Defeat Lions On Hail Mary Pass

This may be the jump start we need. Never say die, and this team didn't.

Packers did get lucky yesterday but the defense really played well and only gave up 2 field goals in the final 3 qtrs. For all the naysayers about R. Rodgers he had a great game yesterday even before the 61 yard reception to win the game. He got open often and caught every pass that went in his direction. He has very sure hands.

Totally agree. Even with a great finish we all realize that this does not necessarily mean that the Packers are on their way to the SB. But we are going to enjoy the greatest finish of a game that actually went our way. cheesehead)

There was a lot of talk in shout last night about the team quitting. I don't think the team quit in this game or any others. If they had quit they wouldn't have come back and made those games as close as they were.

In this game the offense got some lucky breaks to be sure, but in the second half some guys did step up. Richard Rodgers had 7 catches for about 90 yards before the Hail Mary. John Crockett came in and added some shiftiness and energy to the run game. Aaron seemed a little steadier. Bahktiari, already with a bad knee sucked it up and kept playing. It was still ugly but they didn't give up. Especially the defense. Even down 17-0 early they adjusted and settled down, holding Detroit to 6 pts in the last 3 quarters and forcing 3-4 3 and outs. On the road against a hot team, fans buzzing, a team that quit doesn't do that.

I think what we're seeing is a combination of a flawed roster on both sides of the ball, questionable big picture scheming on offense, and exposed lack of depth due to injury. I love the way this game ended. I can't stop watching the replay. I'd love to think that this will start us on a run but I see the same issues recurring over and over for the rest of the season with some ups and some downs. The only solution will be an influx of talent next year, and getting some guys back healthy.

Great post rpiotr01!! I still think health is the biggest issue. On the offense alone, Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Lacy, Quarless, Bulaga Lang, Sitton, Lindsley, Bahktiari all have been injured at some point. That is the entire starting lineup except for the QB.

I don't know if "quitting" is the right term, but I've been really frustrated with the way they back off/fall asleep/throttle down. Not only are they Jekll (sp?) and Hyde during the season, they do it during a game. In the majority of games (other teams, as well as Packers), one can usually get a feel for the way things are going to go, unless it's a back-and-forth nail-biter. With these guys, it's truly a case of waiting for the final gun.

Half Empty I agree with you. There's certainly something off in how slow they're starting each game and little energy they have for long stretches. Coaching, leadership, whatever you want to call it. That missing ingredient that's preventing them from getting over the top.

The Pack did win 6 in a row, we know they're not that good.
Then they lost 4 of 5. We hope they aren't that bad.
A big surprise win and hopefully they can find some consistency.
10 days off comes just in time. Hopefully we can get Monty back in the fold and Randall returns somewhat healthy.

Yeah, I don't want to be the wet blanket, but the hail mary changes nothing except the won-lost record. They got incredibly lucky with a stupid defensive penalty with no time left on the clock, which gave them one free shot at a 70-yard hail mary. Rodgers scrambled literally right out of the hands of two passrushers, ran right up to the line of scrimmage, and threw the longest pass I've ever seen him throw, which just happened to run out of fuel and re-enter the Earth's atmosphere directly above the outstretched hands of the slowest man on the field, who - if he'd have been just a half-second faster - would have been behind the Detroit DBs instead of in front of them, and he managed to hang on as he fell to the ground.

That was one of the luckiest finishes I've ever seen to an NFL game in my entire life, and while I'm certainly delighted that it happened, it does nothing to change the fact that they played a horrible game and were being decisively beaten almost the entire night. The outcome was pure luck, and doesn't change anything about how terribly this team is playing right now.

i agree with what you've said here about it being a lucky win. but i also think that a lot of football comes down to luck. in fact, just go back to the previous game against detroit. with very little time remaining in the game and the packers driving for a go-ahead score, rodgers throws a perfect pass to james jones in the end zone. i was so sure that we were going to win that game the instant that the ball left rodgers' hand that i was literally screaming with joy until i saw the ball bounce off of jones' hands and hit the turf. if luck is not against us, jones catches that ball and we are probably 9-4 right now. last night, the cards fell a different way - a good way for the packers for a change.

I'm tempered in my enthusiasm. What instill can't get over is how lame the routes are and how lame the WR'S run the routes. I swear the DB's know exactly what's coming. The Lions DB's seemed to have the,right inside or outside technique on those routes and were in their hip pockets. I know they may be dinged up and Jordy is out but it just doesn't seem right.

Back