Post Game Thread Packers Defeat Dallas 28-7

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
The news broke around lunchtime Sunday, minutes before the wave of noon games kicked off across the National Football League: Mike McCarthy, coach of the Green Bay Packers, had taken back play-calling duties on offense.

The change, which was first reported by Fox, reversed course on a move McCarthy made in February, shortly after his team lost to the Seattle Seahawks in the NFC Championship Game. The role he bestowed upon Tom Clements, his associate head coach/offense, reached its expiration date after just 12 games, a number of ugly performances and surprisingly uncharacteristic statistics from quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

That McCarthy was back in charge of the offense ushered in a wave of optimism from fans, and plenty of them expressed their adulation on social media. This was the move, they hoped, that would rediscover the explosiveness so often seen with Rodgers leading the way. This was the decision, they felt, that was weeks overdue after ugly showings against a handful of opponents, including a number of division games.

Anticipation translated to a refreshing first half against the Dallas Cowboys. Rodgers played efficiently (17-of-24 for 171 yards and two touchdowns), and the running game piled up yards behind tailback Eddie Lacy, reinstated as the starter after his demotion last week.

The result was a balanced offense — and a 14-7 advantage — unseen since before the bye in October. At one point, the Packers had run 40 total plays with a dead-even split — 20 runs, 20 passes.

With the score still the same midway through the fourth quarter, the Packers turned again to the run. McCarthy dialed up rushing play after rushing play for Eddie Lacy and James Starks, gaining yards in chunks and draining the clock.
Starks preserved the win with a 30-yard burst up the middle to give the Packers a 21-7 lead with 4:44 remaining.
A 1-yard touchdown by Lacy less than two minutes later secured a 28-7 victory.

Player of the Game: Lacy. Demoted last week against the Detroit Lions for missing curfew the night before the game, Lacy responded with an impressive effort that overflowed with energy. He ripped off yards in piles by breaking tackles and spinning through the line of scrimmage, and a handful of plays were punctuated with emotional screams. He finished with 124 yards on 24 carries.

Turning point: Leading 14-7 in a game that was not as close as the score indicated, the Packers needed to put away the Cowboys, a team playing without starting quarterback Tony Romo. They mounted a punishing 12-play, 84-yard drive that ate up more than 6 minutes and featured seven runs of 5 yards or more. Starks broke loose up the middle for a 30-yard touchdown that broke the game open, pushing the Packers ahead by two scores. The offensively challenged Cowboys could not recover.

Big number: 44 – Rushing attempts for the Packers, showcasing a balanced offensive attack featuring 124 ards from Lacy and 71 yards from Starks.

What went right: Put simply, this was exactly the type of offensive performance the Packers needed. Responding to a change in play caller made public hours before kickoff, the Packers played with passion, ruthlessness and efficiency – all traits that had been missing this season. Rodgers threw for more than 150 yards and two touchdowns in the first half and the running attack won the day by racking up first downs (and scores) in the second. A bunch that ranked 22nd in the league in total offense and 15th in rushing yards per game made a legitimate statement at Lambeau Field.

What went wrong: The short-yardage woes continue for the Packers in a trend that appears to be independent of the play caller. Aaron Rodgers was stuffed on fourth-and-goal from inside the 1-yard line on a play that followed three previous failures from a maximum of 12 feet outside the end zone. In the third quarter, this time on third and 1, Rodgers threw a strange lofted pass to fullback John Kuhn that fell incomplete and
never had a chance. On the defensive side of the ball, the Cowboys found a good deal of success running the football. Their first touchdown drive featured four running plays that gobbled up 80 yards in an instant, highlighted by a 50-yard gain by Darren McFadden. For the game, the Cowboys finished with 171 yards rushing.

Last edited:
Missed most of the game, caught most of the 3rd quarter which was crappy. Then got pulled away for some of the 4th quarter and they play better.

Maybe I just need to stop watching!

Missed most of the game, caught most of the 3rd quarter which was crappy. Then got pulled away for some of the 4th quarter and they play better.

Maybe I just need to stop watching!

funny you should say that. ever since i stopped participating in the in-game shout! session, we are 2-0. the butterfly effect.

trying to keep things in perspective. we're 9-4. two of the three games we have left are more than winnable. one of them will be a very difficult test. it's great to be on a 2-game win streak, even if it is against two of the worst teams in the league.

hard to tell if the offense was better because mccarthy was calling the plays. one thing is for sure - we did a lot better job of balancing the plays between run and pass. we might be lucky in having lacy & starks peaking at just the right time. now if we just had a receiver who could get open and hang onto the ball . . .

baby steps. anyway, i feel like if we can score 28 points in a game with the our defense playing the way they are, we have a great chance of winning. our run defense still blows big hairy chunks, but the secondary is playing well, and we are getting decent pressure - if not sacks. jayrone elliott had a couple nice plays today, which was nice to see. after a great start, he sort of disappeared for half a season there.

thumbsup
Lacy/Starks - Combined for 195 yards on the ground and 251 yards and 3 TDs overall. Pretty damn good day.

The O-Line - Anytime you get +200 yards rushing, the line was doing something right.

The defense - Outside of a few hiccups, the defense played well.

Randall - Did a good job vs. Dez after Shields left.

Janis - Looking damn good as a gunner.

MM - for committing to the running game.

thumbsdown))

Run Defense - Specifically for the big plays.

Third quarter offense - Bad.

MM - For taking this long to make the damn switch.

I didn't know until game time that MM would be calling the plays. It was probably my imagination but the offense appeared to play better except for the 3rd quarter.
Starks and Lacy ran hard and kept running. Jones and Cobb actually caught some passes. I wish they would have used Rodgers a little more but it was good to see him get the TD. Glad to see Lacy get the last TD as well. You could see that Lacy and Starks really supported each other.
Any idea why Adams was out of the game for a little bit and Abby was in there. Hope they can keep building on this

The defense played very well except for those 2 long runs. Sorry to see Shields go out with a concussion but I thought for the most part Randall and Rollins played well.

Janis hasn't put it together as a receiver but he sure is a very good special teams player.

I don't know how we will finish out. I'll wait and see how we play next week. Oakland held their own today. I don't know if Denver played that bad or Oakland is on the upswing.

Good game over all. pc)

somewhere in the back of my mind, i'm holding out hope that they are saving janis as a receiver for the playoffs - unscouted looks. i can dream can't i?

I hope tonight the light bulb came on for the Packers and they finally see they can run the ball better then then can pass the ball this season and that Rodgers should take a back seat to the running game right now.

somewhere in the back of my mind, i'm holding out hope that they are saving janis as a receiver for the playoffs - unscouted looks. i can dream can't i?

Janis still runs sloppy routes as a WR that's why he is not playing and won't be anything more then a ST ace till he plays the position bettter.

Back