Post Game Thread : GB Holds On And Defeats Jacksonville

I think Burnett is up near the line more often then not so saying that leading the team in tackles is not a good thing may be inaccurate. They are using him as an extra LB against the run and like a Woodson to blitz.

He is versatile which is nice to have.

Having said that, I agree that a Safety leading the team in tackles is not a good thing.

It's not usually a good thing when a Safety leads the team in tackles.
I was curious after you said this so I looked it up. Burnett had 9 tackles. 5 on pass plays and 4 on run plays. The pass plays gave up +8, +10, -8 (sack), +6 and +22. The running plays were +1, +1, 0 and +2. Shows Burnett was up near the line a lot and did a really nice job of getting to the ball.

Plus didn't MB lead the team in tackles a few years ago when he was healthy the entire season.

I was curious after you said this so I looked it up. Burnett had 9 tackles. 5 on pass plays and 4 on run plays. The pass plays gave up +8, +10, -8 (sack), +6 and +22. The running plays were +1, +1, 0 and +2. Shows Burnett was up near the line a lot and did a really nice job of getting to the ball.

In other words he played better than our ILB's who are supposed to be the ones stopping the run :p:D

For some of the people really down on yesterday... What did you see across the league different? The parity is insane, and the lack of clubs risking players in practice and pre season is ever so evident. Sorry, this is what week one will look like from now on. That is how the league is. Is there room for a lot of improvement? You bet, and it will be addressed. That said, you are going to have moments where things aren't clicking, and players screw up. The goal in today's NFL is to have those issues gone by playoffs. That's why it's about getting hot and making runs. Hell we were 15-1 one season and were bounced early. The almost undefeated Pats lost the super bowl. It's a different league. I saw plenty of good things yesterday too. We are still a top team and have a very high ceiling.

I agree. I was a little irritated by the 2 timeouts in a row but not surprised that there were hiccups in this game. Hey, the defense came through when the offense didn't. :D

In other words he played better than our ILB's who are supposed to be the ones stopping the run :p:D

packers coaching staff talked about the importance of the hybrid safety/linebacker role more than once during the offseason. it looks like it wasn't jut talk.

That's one way to look at it. Jake Ryan did have 7 tackles and pass defended and Martinez had 6 tackles. Maybe they were rotated out more than Burnett.

Here's the complete breakdown of offensive and defensive snaps for the Packers at Jacksonville: http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/...snap-counts-jordy-nelson-davante-adams-091316

The game marked the return to action of wide receiver Jordy Nelson, who hadn't seen the field since tearing his ACL in last year's preseason. Nevertheless, even without taking part in the 2016 preseason, Nelson was on the field for 54 of the Packers' 64 offensive plays, although that was only third-most among Green Bay wide receivers.

Some other notes from Sunday's snap counts:

-- Speaking of wide receivers, beyond the big three of Nelson, Randall Cobb and Davante Adams, there wasn't much on-field time for the other wideouts. Jared Abbrederis was in on 14 plays and Ty Montgomery 11. Jeff Janis was active but didn't play on offense. Rookie Trevor Davis was inactive.

-- The other receivers, the tight ends, nearly split their snaps, with Jared Cook getting eight more plays than Richard Rodgers.

-- New fullback Aaron Ripkowski had only eight offensive snaps. However, in last season's Week 1 game, John Kuhn had just seven (12 percent).

-- First-round pick Kenny Clark was believed to be lined up to see decent time at defensive tackle while fourth-round pick Dean Lowry was listed as a starter at defensive end. Clark ended up playing nine snaps and Lowry seven (the same amount as third-string rookie linebacker Kyler Fackrell), and each recorded just one tackle.

-- Joe Thomas was in for only 25 snaps on defense, but he had two of the more impactful plays: An interception that led to Green Bay's first touchdown and helping make the tackle on the final Jacksonville play of the game.

-- The entire offensive line and Aaron Rodgers played every snap, which is expected. On defense, only two players were on the field for every play: both safeties, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Morgan Burnett.

-- The heat or something to keep an eye on? Julius Peppers was in on only 40 percent of the defensive plays.

follow the link above to see a complete breakdown of the snap count.

Back