Post Game: Raiders beat Packers 17-13

Oh boy what a mess this was. It’s a QB league and this was Love’s worst game by a mile so let’s get that out of the way. It actually looked like someone took his college lowlights and played them all back to back.

My problem is I’m having a hard time evaluating him overall with the state of the team around him. The inexperience at WR and TE is probably very undersold right now, in that there is a reason teams don’t build like this all at once and the last time they did was the 2016 winless Browns. If it’s going to work with a skill group like that you need a play caller/designer scheming the crap out of the game and you also need a veteran OL. GB currently has neither. Jenkins and Tom are the only long term pieces i trust on that line, everyone else is just a bunch of guys. Newman over Rhyan and Walker over Nijman continues to baffle me.

In light of the above I can’t in good faith say Love can’t do it, I feel i can only look at elements of his game. The big things from this game for me:

- slow processing, which is unusual because to me this has been a strength of his since last year even. He’s not trusting what’s there. Possibly OL related, possibly scheme related

- mechanics on deep throws. This one is correctable and they need to drill him on this. He needs to get over his feet more on deep passes. He kinda leans back and lofts the ball when he throws and it’s making these balls float or sail. Get over that front foot and drive the damn ball! Like come on dude you aren’t Mahomes, stop the off platform stuff.

- decision making. that’s the little gremlin gnawing at me with his game. Call it instincts under pressure, I don’t think you can coach this out of a guy. Last play of the game he had a chance to run, get some yards, play for 4th down but instead the hero ball. Maybe with improvements in the point above those become better balls and positive plays but right now it’s not working for him.

The other complicating factor with Love - the Packers 2022 season. Different QB but largely the same roster and so many of the same issues plagued that team last year. Lack of explosive plays, horrible deep passing game, inefficiency in the red zone, poor OL play, lack of aggression, urgency, just overall softness. This is an apples to apples comparison of a Rodgers team versus a Love team and they don’t look all that different. Remember that hideous stretch last year against the Giants, HOME losses to the Jets and Commanders, loss to Buffalo and then Rodgers 3 INT game in Detroit against a historically bad Detroit defense. To me that speaks to some real deep seated issues with how the roster has been constructed by Gute, and issues with ML’s program from top to bottom. He’s not scheming his guys open, he’s not setting up his QB to get in a rhythm (just like last year), and he’s made poor hiring decisions.

I will criticize Love where due and he deserves it for this game and QBs get all the blame in the NFL so that’s the job. But man, they got bigger problems than him right now.

Preston Smith covering Davante Adams is the stuff of comical memes that are already being produced in mass.

Barry playing Rudy Ford and co. 10 yards off the WR while the Raiders were on the Packers 10 yard line …it’s literally Groundhog Day year in and year out with Dingle Barry.

This team has no identity and it seems on offense, they have no clue what they are doing or who they are.

A top 10 pick in the draft seems very plausible at this point.

To add something: Nixon playing slot is a joke. Douglas was so ticked off after Nixon took a bad angle on Davante Adams route down by the goal line. Douglas was right. Almost any other corner would have just stepped in front and picked that off. Possibly a pick 6.

To add something: Nixon playing slot is a joke. Douglas was so ticked off after Nixon took a bad angle on Davante Adams route down by the goal line. Douglas was right. Almost any other corner would have just stepped in front and picked that off. Possibly a pick 6.
If I remember correctly, they had Davante bracketed and Nixon's job, which he failed, was to prevent that quick slant. Right coverage just bad execution.

Nixon is a over rated player. He was a career ST player before this year. Had a great season playing ST last year but now he's making bonehead mistakes that should get him benched.

See the talk already has started with some fans of the foolish we should bench Love and start Clifford. If anyone thinks a rookie QB in Clifford would play better right now is foolish. While Love is struggling he does give us the best chance to still win. Now next year give Clifford a full year to sit and learn the system. Could he provide honest competion in camp who knows.

See the talk already has started with some fans of the foolish we should bench Love and start Clifford. If anyone thinks a rookie QB in Clifford would play better right now is foolish. While Love is struggling he does give us the best chance to still win. Now next year give Clifford a full year to sit and learn the system. Could he provide honest competion in camp who knows.
Love deserves a chance to continue his journey this season. He had a bad game, which we knew was going to happen. As rp pointed out above, it's hard to get a good evaluation with the team around him right now. Hopefully, we'll continue to see growth out of this young team and how they handle the adversity of being 2-3.

I have not rewatched the game but here is what I saw:

Offense

This o-line is putrid. After last weeks game, ML said they needed to make some changes. What changes did they make? Jenkins was healthy enough to play. That was it. Walker is still getting killed and yet we keep him in there. I honestly believe if you are going to change this offense next year and make it better, you are going to have to draft at least two o-lineman high in the draft. It may not be sexy but it is necessary to make this offense move forward.

Love is young. We all know this but he has had 3 years in this system. He should know this offense like the back of his hand. When I see him play, he looks lost. He is slow with his reads and he lacks accuracy. (which we all knew already) I understand the o-line was not great the last two games and it is a problem but Clements has to fix this. The only time Love seems to be able to sustain a drive is when we have a healthy balance with the run and the pass. If we cannot run and do play action, he seems to struggle.

Defense

They played well enough to win but it is still Barry's soft style of play. I won't say anything other than that since we have beaten this horse to death. They are what they are.

We all knew this would be a season of struggles. We know the o-line needs to be revamped in the off season as well as RB. We all know Barry needs to go after the season is over and they need to start new with this D. Right now, all I want to see is improvement happen from week to week. If that happens then I'll regain my trust in this coaching staff. (except Barry of course) If not, then ML may not be the right guy to move forward with.

See the talk already has started with some fans of the foolish we should bench Love and start Clifford.
Individuals exhibiting this level of high time preference thinking should be stripped of their right to vote.

It’s going to be a long two weeks with the bye coming off this sort of game, I suggest staying more or less off of Packers social media for the next couple days.

Back